This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes

First a little bit of background on the house: it is a 3 bed 1.5 bath cape cod, in an older neighborhood of a class A suburb outside of Milwaukee. It was listed on the MLS, had been bank owned for about 5 years and was tenant occupied. The exterior looked good but the tenant was very difficult and I couldn't get a look inside. I made an offer under the assumption that everything inside needed to be replaced. The bank accepted my offer but refused to deliver the house vacant and after closing it quickly became apparent why. The tenant was a nightmare and after many lies and stories I was forced to evict them and then the rehab began.

Aside from the plumbing and electrical I did all of the work myself. I’m not a contractor but I have a lot of renovation experience and own all the necessary tools.

Basically everything inside both cosmetic and mechanical is now brand new. The windows, exterior doors, siding and roof were all replaced in 2010.

Now to the numbers:

I purchased it with a conventional 20% down loan and conservatively budgeted $35k for rehab. Being conservative I originally planned for a $200k ARV and expected to leave $15-20k in the deal post refinance. In total the rehab itself took 3 months plus 1 month to get it rented.

Purchase price: $132,700

Closing costs: $0 (seller closing cost credit of $2k)

Holding costs: $3k

Rehab costs: $30k

The following was replaced:

  • All plumbing (supply and drain), including water heater ($4050)
  • Furnace and Air Conditioning unit ($3045)
  • Electrical in kitchen and bath ($1800)
  • LVP Flooring throughout ($2697)
  • Stair carpeting ($410)
  • Bathrooms ($1820)
  • Kitchen ($5095)
  • Appliances ($1738)
  • Garage doors and openers ($806)
  • All new trim and doors ($2168)
  • Paint ($876)
  • Remaining costs were miscellaneous supplies, dumpster and permits

The total cash outlay on my part was $57k. The appraisal post rehab came in at $229k so with a new loan of $172k my net cash at the refinance closing will be $64k. Aside from time and labor I now have nothing invested, even will get $7k additional back and retain $57k in equity.

I'm not going to throw out cashflow numbers since everyone tends to calculate vacancy, repairs, capex differently and I don't want to get off track. PITI after the refi is $1160 and it is rented out for $1700. Tenants pay all utilities and handle snow removal as well as lawn mowing. I do self-manage being that it is only a few minutes from my house.

Before Pictures:

During Pictures:

After Pictures:

Hopefully my story can inspire someone. I know some will say that the rent to value ratio isn’t high enough and I’d be better of selling the house. Others will say you have to hire contractors and shouldn’t ever do your own work but I have the time and actually enjoy doing the work (most days at least, lol). It was a ton of work and I sometimes questioned my sanity but in the end this is a deal that works for me and it was definitely worth it.

I’m more than happy to answer any questions or provide additional details.

"Time to find another house to fli"………. Uh BRRRR.

189Reply
931 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 865 votes
8y

Howdy @Nicholas W.

Nice job.  Don't worry about what others think regarding cash flow.  As long as it meets your goals and you successfully got all your cash out.  Win - Win.  Again, congratulations.

See this reply in the discussion

253 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Carmichael, CA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Awesome. How many months did you hold it before the refi?

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Susan Logan:

    Thank you so much for sharing your rehab....very nice details, you clearly put a lot of thought into making it flow well.  I also really appreciate you sharing your costs and the photos.  May I ask how long the eviction took and the costs?  

     Thanks for the kind words.

    The eviction itself didn't take too long. I was able to get the tenant to move out before completing the process. Mind you this followed a few weeks of lies concerning move out dates prior to actually filing the eviction. The various attorney fee's, filing fee's and process serving fee's totaled about $350.

  • Edmonton, Alberta · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Congrats Nicholas! Very inspiring indeed. I'm mid way through my first rehab and reading this definitely pumps me up. Thanks!
  • Dayton, OH · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    Thank you so much for sharing your story and adding so much detail! I'm looking for my first house to use the BRRRR and I love to read detailed estimates of rehab costs. The after pictures look great. You do good work!

  • Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Yes! @Nicholas W. Thank you so much for the breakdown! It's very inspiring indeed. My business partner & I are looking to get our first to get this venture in motion! & your area is very appealing. Keep up the great work!

  • Contractor · Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2016 · 917 posts · 266 votes
    8y

    Did that house, looks like about 1500 sq. ft., really appraise for $229,000 in Germantown? I' m from Sheboygan, seems unrealistic you would get that amount if on the market.

  • Brossard, Quebec · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Nice Job very inspiring wish you many more my friend.

  • Cleveland, TN · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    Definitely inspirational as I will be closing on my first BRRRR Dec 15th and doing almost the exact process. Thank you for posting and giving excitement that this will work!
  • Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2016 · 99 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    WOW!!! Way to go, sir! The tile work, cabinets, flooring & EVERYTHING look fantastic. 

  • Adam SherenPro Member
    Investor & Developer · Ludington, MI · Member since 2014 · 54 posts · 40 votes
    8y

    Thank you for Sharing, @Nicholas W. - not sure if anyone's mentioned this as I haven't gone through the 8+ pages of responses, but TECHNICALLY your BRRRR is not complete... until you repeat! Just messin' with ya. Looking forward to seeing the next one.

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Todd Goedeke:

    Did that house, looks like about 1500 sq. ft., really appraise for $229,000 in Germantown? I' m from Sheboygan, seems unrealistic you would get that amount if on the market.

     Todd, to answer your question, yes, it did really appraise for $229k. The market is pretty hot down here right now. If the house was in Germantown it would would have likely appraised for even more but it is in Menomonee Falls where prices trend a bit lower. The appraiser used very similar, reliable comps that were all cape cods and within a few hundred yards of the subject property. If I were to sell it I would expect closer to $220k, as appraisals often come in higher than purchase prices.

  • Kerrville, TX · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    This looks great! Where did you purchase your kitchen cabinets from?

  • Hunker, PA · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Really nice job congratulations 

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Samantha Reed:

    This looks great! Where did you purchase your kitchen cabinets from?

    Thanks Samantha. The cabinets are made by Countryside Cabinets which is a cabinet manufacture here in Wisconsin. I purchased them from Milwaukee Cabinetry which is a local wholesaler.

  • SAN ANTONIO, TX · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Thank you for sharing!! Really nice to see in details. Good luck on your next project!

  • Investor · Sacramento CA · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    @Nicholas W. Yes it is Inspiring.

  • Daniel SomersPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tiffin, OH · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    Looks great congrats

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Looks Awesome!!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Collierville, TN · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Congrats! Great job!

  • Maple Valley, WA · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    That was Awesome!!! Great Job. Thanks for Sharing.

  • Investor · Fallston, MD · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    @Nicholas W. Thanks for the inspirational post! I am currently looking for my first flip, and plan on doing most of the work myself. I find that prospect daunting, so it is nice to see it actually done. :)
  • Jay LohnBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent & Investor · Champlin, MN · Member since 2014 · 179 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    Gongrats! way to go now repeat!

    Lohn/Paulno Property Management, LLC53 Reviews
  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ian Rausch:

    @Nicholas W. Thanks for the inspirational post! I am currently looking for my first flip, and plan on doing most of the work myself. I find that prospect daunting, so it is nice to see it actually done. :)

     Ian, it definitely is daunting. I've done renovations on my own home but never such a large project all at once. You've just got to keep going and eventually it all gets done. Good luck finding your first flip!

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    Nice job with the rehab! Thank you for the info and keep it up!
  • Rental Property Investor · Savage, MN · Member since 2016 · 202 posts · 61 votes
    8y

    Very inspiring! Thank you for sharing with us all!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.