This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes

First a little bit of background on the house: it is a 3 bed 1.5 bath cape cod, in an older neighborhood of a class A suburb outside of Milwaukee. It was listed on the MLS, had been bank owned for about 5 years and was tenant occupied. The exterior looked good but the tenant was very difficult and I couldn't get a look inside. I made an offer under the assumption that everything inside needed to be replaced. The bank accepted my offer but refused to deliver the house vacant and after closing it quickly became apparent why. The tenant was a nightmare and after many lies and stories I was forced to evict them and then the rehab began.

Aside from the plumbing and electrical I did all of the work myself. I’m not a contractor but I have a lot of renovation experience and own all the necessary tools.

Basically everything inside both cosmetic and mechanical is now brand new. The windows, exterior doors, siding and roof were all replaced in 2010.

Now to the numbers:

I purchased it with a conventional 20% down loan and conservatively budgeted $35k for rehab. Being conservative I originally planned for a $200k ARV and expected to leave $15-20k in the deal post refinance. In total the rehab itself took 3 months plus 1 month to get it rented.

Purchase price: $132,700

Closing costs: $0 (seller closing cost credit of $2k)

Holding costs: $3k

Rehab costs: $30k

The following was replaced:

  • All plumbing (supply and drain), including water heater ($4050)
  • Furnace and Air Conditioning unit ($3045)
  • Electrical in kitchen and bath ($1800)
  • LVP Flooring throughout ($2697)
  • Stair carpeting ($410)
  • Bathrooms ($1820)
  • Kitchen ($5095)
  • Appliances ($1738)
  • Garage doors and openers ($806)
  • All new trim and doors ($2168)
  • Paint ($876)
  • Remaining costs were miscellaneous supplies, dumpster and permits

The total cash outlay on my part was $57k. The appraisal post rehab came in at $229k so with a new loan of $172k my net cash at the refinance closing will be $64k. Aside from time and labor I now have nothing invested, even will get $7k additional back and retain $57k in equity.

I'm not going to throw out cashflow numbers since everyone tends to calculate vacancy, repairs, capex differently and I don't want to get off track. PITI after the refi is $1160 and it is rented out for $1700. Tenants pay all utilities and handle snow removal as well as lawn mowing. I do self-manage being that it is only a few minutes from my house.

Before Pictures:

During Pictures:

After Pictures:

Hopefully my story can inspire someone. I know some will say that the rent to value ratio isn’t high enough and I’d be better of selling the house. Others will say you have to hire contractors and shouldn’t ever do your own work but I have the time and actually enjoy doing the work (most days at least, lol). It was a ton of work and I sometimes questioned my sanity but in the end this is a deal that works for me and it was definitely worth it.

I’m more than happy to answer any questions or provide additional details.

"Time to find another house to fli"………. Uh BRRRR.

189Reply
1,060 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 865 votes
8y

Howdy @Nicholas W.

Nice job.  Don't worry about what others think regarding cash flow.  As long as it meets your goals and you successfully got all your cash out.  Win - Win.  Again, congratulations.

See this reply in the discussion

253 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nick H.:

    @Nicholas W. fantastic job, man! Hoping you can help me understand your math/deal. I've just started looking into the BRRRR method and trying to make sense of the numbers in your case. (Warning - noob question)... Based on your numbers, I'm assuming your traditional loan was about $106k? You paid out of pocket, 20% down ($26k), plus the rehab costs ($30k)? How did you cover these expenses, and how did you recoup those costs to get back to $0 out of pocket? Your cash flow of $540/month makes sense, but I still don't get how you recoup your out of pocket expenses.

    Nick, thanks for the compliment. 

    The purchase loan balance was indeed $106k, but the down payment came out closer to $24k because of various closing cost credits and prorations.

    So the total out of pocket cost for the project consisted of the $24k to close, $30k to rehab and $3k for holding costs (interest, taxes, insurance, energy bill, etc.)

    After the rehab was completed, the house was rented and I had made 6 mortgage payments I applied for a cash out refinance. The bank did an appraisal on the house in the new rehabbed condition and determined it to be worth $229k. When refinancing a single family rental property the bank will loan 75% of the appraised value so $172k in this case. Out of that $172k the bank will pay off the existing loan ($105k at this point) and give me the balance, minus closing costs of about $2k. So I spent $57k and received $64k.

    Side note: I realize that $172k - $105k - $2k equals $65k and not $64k, the $1k difference is a result of compounding rounding errors.

    Hope that clears it up for you.

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Chuks Erinne:

    Great job! I love the execution. Obviously your arv was based on comps. The actual arv is 30 over your conservative arv. Where you being overly conservative there? I didnt expect to see that much difference. Any info on your comparison process? Dos and Donts? 

    Also, any info on how you nailed the rent. I usually just call local PMs to find out what kind of rent i can realistically expect. Sometimes Craigslist is misleading.

    Your execution is truly inspiring!

    Thanks Chuks, I am conservative by nature so I always knew there was a chance it would be higher but even I didn't expect it to be that high. A big part of that is that in our area the market slows down dramatically in the winter and when I purchased I had looked at comps that had sold in the winter. The comps that sold over the summer were much better and gave me a boost.

    Honestly, the rent was just an educated guess. This specific city is largely owner occupied and there are very few single family rentals. This is helpful because there is little competition for those who are looking for a SFR in that area but it does make finding reliable rental comps difficult. I figured that I could always lower the rent if I didn't get enough interest.

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Russell Maddox:

    Awesome job @Nicholas W. ! Question. Did you ever look into hiring contractors for any of the work outside of the plumbing rough in? Just wondering if you did, and what types of quotes you received. 

    Russell, I did not get any quotes from contractors. My type A personality and very high expectations would probably make for a hostile relationship with a contractor and that's something I've just accepted. I would estimate that a contractor would charge between $8k and 10k to perform all of the work that I personally did.

  • Investor · West Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Nicholas W, Congratulations. Obviously a man with much needed skills and that made your Rehab more feasible. I watch and listen in amazement how Brandon hustles and gets things going. It takes a certain type of person come out positive on Rehab & acquiring Rental homes etc. You need to be a certain type of personality and that's Brandon Turner. My experience was different. 14 years ago me & my son-in-law started to buy properties to rent (6 Rental homes, 5 bought new) in affordable places (not California or New York). New, because we had full time day jobs and lived out of State and didn't want big repair bills the first 10 years. We will end up selling three or four homes, pay down (pay off) two of them maybe three and create an income stream from that. That's my goal. My advice to the others is keep trying to create multiple streams of Income. After all that experience, I'd say you make your money when you buy cheap (bargains) and like what you did fixer uppers. I wish all you Bigger Pocket members all the best. Brandon is a great motivator & I'm glad for him and his success.

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Haha, completely understand. Again, nice work, and congrats!!

  • Wakefield, RI · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Did you pull permits for all the plumbing and electrical work you did yourself? 

  • Wakefield, RI · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Job well done. Did you pull permits for all the plumbing and electrical work you did yourself? I thought you could only do that kind of work if you were the owner and you occupied the house.

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Francois Martin:

    Job well done. Did you pull permits for all the plumbing and electrical work you did yourself? I thought you could only do that kind of work if you were the owner and you occupied the house.

    Thanks Francois.You're correct that you can't do your own plumbing and electrical at least in this municipality (that does vary.) The plumber and electrician pulled their respective permits. I didn't do any of the electrical and only did the finish plumbing (just attaching fixtures and drains, and setting toilets.) Technically that probably wasn't allowed but every thing was done to code and passed inspections.

  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    Keep it up!

  • Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Awesome Job! Thank you for sharing!

  • Electrical/Machanical Techniciam · Leesburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Great job Nicholas!!! Yes, the BRRR method does work. It looks fantastic. Congratulations.

  • Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2013 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    congrats man!! glad you enjoyed it and it's working for you!  keep it up

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Nice results on the rehab. My wife and I invest in buy/hold properties and always do all the work ourselves. Since we've begun, the only items we have contracted out are HVAC and termite treatment. We are trying to get a house finished up now so we can get some income from it. We have the tools/equipment and know how to do all the work but we're not fast because we're "particular". I can't tolerate things not being right. So I will take whatever time it requires to meet my standards. We've never done a BRRRR because we never borrowed money to acquire a property. They cash flow well with no mortgage payment. However, we are now "out of money" and need to grow in order to survive as this is our primary source of income. Working on a heloc at present. Being in debt for the first time in over 20 years is going to feel different...

  • Real Estate Agent · Panama City Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    House looks great! Nicely done👌

  • Investor · Kailua, HI · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 33 votes
    8y

    Congratulations @Nicholas W.  Looks like a winner in my eyes

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Teachout:

    Nice results on the rehab. My wife and I invest in buy/hold properties and always do all the work ourselves. Since we've begun, the only items we have contracted out are HVAC and termite treatment. We are trying to get a house finished up now so we can get some income from it. We have the tools/equipment and know how to do all the work but we're not fast because we're "particular". I can't tolerate things not being right. So I will take whatever time it requires to meet my standards. We've never done a BRRRR because we never borrowed money to acquire a property. They cash flow well with no mortgage payment. However, we are now "out of money" and need to grow in order to survive as this is our primary source of income. Working on a heloc at present. Being in debt for the first time in over 20 years is going to feel different...

    Thanks John. As you know, there is good debt and bad debt. I don't see anything wrong with taking the banks money at 4-5% and investing it earning 8-12%.

  • Somewhere warm · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    8y
    @Nicholas W. thanks for the detailed breakdown! Makes total sense now. Keep grinding!
  • Rental Property Investor · New York Ciry, NY · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    Nicholas, very well articulated. I will look to follow your lead. I recently completed a rehab and I am still waiting for a buyer. My agent is suggesting that the holiday season to a negative factor. I am considering dropping the price, then I will move to renting as an exit strategy. 

  • Jessica H.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Easton, PA · Member since 2013 · 224 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    Looks awesome!

  • Jamane Y.Pro Member
    Greensboro, NC · Member since 2013 · 169 posts · 29 votes
    8y
    Nicholas W. This is wonderful. It’s about what works for you. Thanks for sharing.
  • Accountant · Puyallup, WA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Congrats and than is for the great write-up.

  • Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Nicely done. Congrats!!!

  • Redmond, OR · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    love it. The house looks a ton better. Great job.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bedminster, NJ · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 60 votes
    8y

    That inspired me! Great job.

  • Investor · Wellesley Hills, MA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Thank you so much for sharing your rehab....very nice details, you clearly put a lot of thought into making it flow well.  I also really appreciate you sharing your costs and the photos.  May I ask how long the eviction took and the costs?  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.