This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes

First a little bit of background on the house: it is a 3 bed 1.5 bath cape cod, in an older neighborhood of a class A suburb outside of Milwaukee. It was listed on the MLS, had been bank owned for about 5 years and was tenant occupied. The exterior looked good but the tenant was very difficult and I couldn't get a look inside. I made an offer under the assumption that everything inside needed to be replaced. The bank accepted my offer but refused to deliver the house vacant and after closing it quickly became apparent why. The tenant was a nightmare and after many lies and stories I was forced to evict them and then the rehab began.

Aside from the plumbing and electrical I did all of the work myself. I’m not a contractor but I have a lot of renovation experience and own all the necessary tools.

Basically everything inside both cosmetic and mechanical is now brand new. The windows, exterior doors, siding and roof were all replaced in 2010.

Now to the numbers:

I purchased it with a conventional 20% down loan and conservatively budgeted $35k for rehab. Being conservative I originally planned for a $200k ARV and expected to leave $15-20k in the deal post refinance. In total the rehab itself took 3 months plus 1 month to get it rented.

Purchase price: $132,700

Closing costs: $0 (seller closing cost credit of $2k)

Holding costs: $3k

Rehab costs: $30k

The following was replaced:

  • All plumbing (supply and drain), including water heater ($4050)
  • Furnace and Air Conditioning unit ($3045)
  • Electrical in kitchen and bath ($1800)
  • LVP Flooring throughout ($2697)
  • Stair carpeting ($410)
  • Bathrooms ($1820)
  • Kitchen ($5095)
  • Appliances ($1738)
  • Garage doors and openers ($806)
  • All new trim and doors ($2168)
  • Paint ($876)
  • Remaining costs were miscellaneous supplies, dumpster and permits

The total cash outlay on my part was $57k. The appraisal post rehab came in at $229k so with a new loan of $172k my net cash at the refinance closing will be $64k. Aside from time and labor I now have nothing invested, even will get $7k additional back and retain $57k in equity.

I'm not going to throw out cashflow numbers since everyone tends to calculate vacancy, repairs, capex differently and I don't want to get off track. PITI after the refi is $1160 and it is rented out for $1700. Tenants pay all utilities and handle snow removal as well as lawn mowing. I do self-manage being that it is only a few minutes from my house.

Before Pictures:

During Pictures:

After Pictures:

Hopefully my story can inspire someone. I know some will say that the rent to value ratio isn’t high enough and I’d be better of selling the house. Others will say you have to hire contractors and shouldn’t ever do your own work but I have the time and actually enjoy doing the work (most days at least, lol). It was a ton of work and I sometimes questioned my sanity but in the end this is a deal that works for me and it was definitely worth it.

I’m more than happy to answer any questions or provide additional details.

"Time to find another house to fli"………. Uh BRRRR.

189Reply
1,015 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 865 votes
8y

Howdy @Nicholas W.

Nice job.  Don't worry about what others think regarding cash flow.  As long as it meets your goals and you successfully got all your cash out.  Win - Win.  Again, congratulations.

See this reply in the discussion

253 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Carl Hebert:

    Great job! I really like how you worked with the original glass blocks in the bathroom. Taking something some would say is dated and making it feel new! 

     Thanks Carl, that must be a regional thing. Around here glass block is the go to solution for windows in showers. What is common in your area?

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Blair C.:

    Amazing job on the property,  Nicholas!  How did you find the property?  Was it listed, or did you mail or which?

    BC

    Thanks Blair, it was listed on the MLS.

  • Property Manager · Metro Detroit, MI · Member since 2008 · 305 posts · 362 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Cory Binsfield:

    Never sell/flip unless you can exchange and create a better deal. Trust me, you will thank me 10 years from now. 

    100% agree. On flips you make money once , rentals you make money monthly for life . 

    Nothing wrong with flips , I have done a ton of them , and If the right deal presented itself I'd do more . 

    Problem now is deals are so hard to come by currently I would rather keep the few i find as rentals . 

  • Erik KuhiPro Member
    Investor · Farmingdale, NJ · Member since 2017 · 62 posts · 39 votes
    8y
    Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!!! Definitely has my mind stirring
  • Rental Property Investor · Ellicott City, MD · Member since 2017 · 140 posts · 20 votes
    8y
    Congratulations!!! Looks like you got a great deal.
  • Investor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    8y
    This is awesome! Congrats!
  • Investor · Calumet City, IL · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    Outstanding job man... you worked the numbers perfectly. How long did the eviction process take? I live in cook county IL and the eviction process is brutal down here! Curious how it works in Wisconsin.
  • Forney, TX · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Congratulations!!! Great Job!! Thank you for sharing..
  • Investor · Port Arthur, TX · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    Great job! I’m looking to use the BRRRR strategy for my first upcoming deal but when I ran the numbers, I got Inf% cash on cash ROI. What does this mean?
  • Investor · Seneca, SC · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    great job! thanks for sharing and taking the time to provide the details and pictures! it really helps when you can see real info not a bunch of fluff. keep up the good work.
  • Rental Property Investor · Louisville · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    @Nicholas W. I know you said you hired out the plumbing. But did you do the rest of the bathroom, tiling and flooring all by yourself?

  • New to Real Estate · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Very impressive! I am a newbie interested in flipping and the BRRRR strategy, and this example was super inspiring and easy to follow. I do have one (maybe dumb) question - could you please explain how you got the $64k figure for net cash at refinance closing? I followed everything up to that point...

    Thank you!

  • Matthew WatsonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2016 · 57 posts · 101 votes
    8y

    @Elijah Barrad I believe he was referring to the $57k in equity that he retains after the refinance plus the $7k in excess cash he pocketed due to the refi amount being larger than he had into the property.

  • Little Rock, AR · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Great job!

  • Investor / Real Estate Agent · Pawtucket, RI · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Thanks for the share.  Awesome Job!

  • Real Estate Agent · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Dang man this looks great!!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Schaumburg, IL · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Nice! May the next one be as good or better than this one!

  • Ft Worth, TX · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Fantastic!  Thanks for sharing.  Just finished something similar in upstate NY, though not as extensive as yours.  Congrats!

  • Jovan HardwickPro Member
    Flipper · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    Great job and keep up the great work

  • Investor · White Lake, MI · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Wow!  I did a double take on that first "before" picture with the refrigerator pulled out among all the debris - dang!  Wondered where you got the picture from the project I'm working on.  Seriously looks like the kitchen on my project.  

    Anyway congratulations on a very well done end product!  

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 105 posts · 59 votes
    8y

    Congratulations! Excellent job! The house looks beautiful and I love the colors you chose. 

  • Bloomfld Twp, MI · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

  • Real Estate Investor · Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 77 votes
    8y

    It's a BRRRR...it's not supposed to be sold off. :D

    Great job!  I'm probably going to do my first refi some time in the new year after it's had a few more months of seasoning.

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Elijah Barrad:

    Very impressive! I am a newbie interested in flipping and the BRRRR strategy, and this example was super inspiring and easy to follow. I do have one (maybe dumb) question - could you please explain how you got the $64k figure for net cash at refinance closing? I followed everything up to that point...

    Thank you!

    Thanks Elijah, The purchase loan has remaining balance of $105k, the refinance loan amount is $172k and closing cost are $2k, the net comes out to $64k.

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Cris Mullen:

    @Nicholas W. I know you said you hired out the plumbing. But did you do the rest of the bathroom, tiling and flooring all by yourself?

     Cris, the plumber did what's called rough plumbing, which is basically everything inside the walls/floors. I installed the tub, did the drywall, tiling and installed all of the plumbing fixtures.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.