This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes

First a little bit of background on the house: it is a 3 bed 1.5 bath cape cod, in an older neighborhood of a class A suburb outside of Milwaukee. It was listed on the MLS, had been bank owned for about 5 years and was tenant occupied. The exterior looked good but the tenant was very difficult and I couldn't get a look inside. I made an offer under the assumption that everything inside needed to be replaced. The bank accepted my offer but refused to deliver the house vacant and after closing it quickly became apparent why. The tenant was a nightmare and after many lies and stories I was forced to evict them and then the rehab began.

Aside from the plumbing and electrical I did all of the work myself. I’m not a contractor but I have a lot of renovation experience and own all the necessary tools.

Basically everything inside both cosmetic and mechanical is now brand new. The windows, exterior doors, siding and roof were all replaced in 2010.

Now to the numbers:

I purchased it with a conventional 20% down loan and conservatively budgeted $35k for rehab. Being conservative I originally planned for a $200k ARV and expected to leave $15-20k in the deal post refinance. In total the rehab itself took 3 months plus 1 month to get it rented.

Purchase price: $132,700

Closing costs: $0 (seller closing cost credit of $2k)

Holding costs: $3k

Rehab costs: $30k

The following was replaced:

  • All plumbing (supply and drain), including water heater ($4050)
  • Furnace and Air Conditioning unit ($3045)
  • Electrical in kitchen and bath ($1800)
  • LVP Flooring throughout ($2697)
  • Stair carpeting ($410)
  • Bathrooms ($1820)
  • Kitchen ($5095)
  • Appliances ($1738)
  • Garage doors and openers ($806)
  • All new trim and doors ($2168)
  • Paint ($876)
  • Remaining costs were miscellaneous supplies, dumpster and permits

The total cash outlay on my part was $57k. The appraisal post rehab came in at $229k so with a new loan of $172k my net cash at the refinance closing will be $64k. Aside from time and labor I now have nothing invested, even will get $7k additional back and retain $57k in equity.

I'm not going to throw out cashflow numbers since everyone tends to calculate vacancy, repairs, capex differently and I don't want to get off track. PITI after the refi is $1160 and it is rented out for $1700. Tenants pay all utilities and handle snow removal as well as lawn mowing. I do self-manage being that it is only a few minutes from my house.

Before Pictures:

During Pictures:

After Pictures:

Hopefully my story can inspire someone. I know some will say that the rent to value ratio isn’t high enough and I’d be better of selling the house. Others will say you have to hire contractors and shouldn’t ever do your own work but I have the time and actually enjoy doing the work (most days at least, lol). It was a ton of work and I sometimes questioned my sanity but in the end this is a deal that works for me and it was definitely worth it.

I’m more than happy to answer any questions or provide additional details.

"Time to find another house to fli"………. Uh BRRRR.

189Reply
1,028 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 865 votes
8y

Howdy @Nicholas W.

Nice job.  Don't worry about what others think regarding cash flow.  As long as it meets your goals and you successfully got all your cash out.  Win - Win.  Again, congratulations.

See this reply in the discussion

253 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 142 posts · 52 votes
    8y
    Awesome job! And way to execute your plan all the way through
  • Active Duty Military · Fort Rucker, AL · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Great Inspirational BRRRR thanks for sharing with pics, good education for this noob.
  • Accountant · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 409 posts · 362 votes
    8y

    Thanks for the share, I hadn't even considered doing a conventional loan as the purchase 1/2 of BRRRR. Makes perfect sense if you can swing it.

  • Dickinson, ND · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Great job!

  • Real Estate Agent · West Covina, CA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    Wow that's awesome. Funny I have been wanting to invest in that area since my family lives there but have not moved forward. I'd like to work w you one day.
  • Investor · Bastrop, LA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 14 votes
    8y
    @Nicholas W. Great work and congratulations!
  • Redmond, WA · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    This is amazing! Curious, Did you personally finance the down payment and rehab cost? I am nervous about a brrr because I don't have experience rehabbing and I wouldn't have the capital to finance it myself.
  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Nicholas, I'm super new and fresh to everything real estate investing, but I have a question.  How long did it take you to amass the money you used to put 20% down for that deal?  I'm trying to increase my personal income so I can have a  little more to work with (it seems like 20% is the best way to do things now a days) and make deals easier.  But is real estate investing something you get in on and pull the trigger on or do you wait till you know you have 20% percent to throw in (knowing that there are zero money down deals out there)?

  • Investor/Contractor · Moore, SC · Member since 2017 · 54 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    @Nicholas W. thanks for sharing! 

    @Darian Richardson check this out...Pretty motivating! 

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    Awesome work!! Great story.

  • James P. HillPro Member
    Realtor · Surf City, NC · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Looks great! Thanks for the numbers, pics, and motivation. I love the BRRRR strategy too.

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y

    @Michael Gutierrez, @Jesse Carter

    In the summer of 2016 I did a cash out refinance on my primary residence that I had done a similar renovation on that yielded $53k. I used $36k of it on my first rental down payment (which required just $4k work), so I still had $13k from that and I've saved all the cashflow from that rental. I did pull $8k out of a RothIRA that I've had. My wife and I have always lived well below our means and was able to add about $30k from the cashflow from my day job since deciding to invest in mid 2016. It's never easy coming up with the down payment, but the more you learn the more strategies you come across. Just find a way to get started and you'll be surprised by the doors that open up.

  • Realtor · Douglas, MA · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    Nick, great job! I appreciate the detailed information you provided. I am looking for my first deal in the central Mass area and will also be putting a lot of sweat equity into it.
  • Investor · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Look at what hard work can do your people. You earned more in equity in that 1 deal than a lot of people earn in a year. I am glad you shared. Can anyone lead me into a direction for learning the “A class, B Class.... terms”. Looking for a good article explaining the classes well.
  • Homeowner · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    Congratulations! I am currently reading The Book on Rental Property Investing and just finished the chapter example plans. The BRRRR method sound like something I can work with. But I still have a lot of learning to go.
  • Providence, RI · Member since 2017 · 62 posts · 17 votes
    8y
    You bought this place on Cape Cod Massachusetts for 132,000???? Sounds like a deal to me! Nice find. Great presentation. As a young player in the game it great to see well thought out investments. Gives me confidence that I can succeed too.
  • Rental Property Investor · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Wow amazing. Definitely inspires me more to jump into this field. I’m new in the field of real estate investing but this makes me feel like so many things doing this are possible
  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 346 posts · 170 votes
    8y
    Hell of a job you did man!!
  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y

    Thanks again for all the kind words! I think I've responded to them all but I apologize if I missed any questions.

    Seeing as how this thread has really gained some traction and everyone loves pictures I thought I'd share a few more:

    During:

    The Superviser:

    After:

  • Chandler, AZ · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Fantastic! Im new to real estate and doing some research on my own currently. Seeing this really drives my motivation up! Looking forward to my first deal in the coming year. For now time to do some homework. :)
  • Matthew WatsonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2016 · 57 posts · 101 votes
    8y

    @Nicholas W. Great job on the successful BRRRR! It looks like you covered up some hardwoods with the LPV flooring? Can you talk a little about your decision to do that? I just closed on a duplex today that has all original hardwoods throughout both units. They are rough so I am contemplating between refinishing them or putting LPV or something similar over them. I have no experience with LPV. How well does it deal with tenant abuse?

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Watson:

    @Nicholas W. Great job on the successful BRRRR! It looks like you covered up some hardwoods with the LPV flooring? Can you talk a little about your decision to do that? I just closed on a duplex today that has all original hardwoods throughout both units. They are rough so I am contemplating between refinishing them or putting LPV or something similar over them. I have no experience with LPV. How well does it deal with tenant abuse?

    Matthew, good eye and great question. My original plan was to refinish the hardwood floors. After pulling up the carpet I found some patches that were added perpendicular to the majority of the floor during prior remodeling projects. It would have cost much more to have those feathered in and the floors refinished (that's one of the few things I won't do myself) than to cover them up with LVP. Also if I were to refinish the hardwood I would have had to use a different flooring in the half bath and kitchen. Instead the entire house is the same flooring (aside from the full bath which matches the shower tile). I can't comment on the long term durability of either, both seem to have a good reputation though.

  • Cory BinsfieldPro Member
    Financial Advisor · Duluth, MN · Member since 2012 · 156 posts · 194 votes
    8y

    Never sell/flip unless you can exchange and create a better deal. Trust me, you will thank me 10 years from now. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Auburn, ME · Member since 2015 · 236 posts · 140 votes
    8y

    Great job! I really like how you worked with the original glass blocks in the bathroom. Taking something some would say is dated and making it feel new! 

  • Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Amazing job on the property,  Nicholas!  How did you find the property?  Was it listed, or did you mail or which?

    BC

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.