This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes

First a little bit of background on the house: it is a 3 bed 1.5 bath cape cod, in an older neighborhood of a class A suburb outside of Milwaukee. It was listed on the MLS, had been bank owned for about 5 years and was tenant occupied. The exterior looked good but the tenant was very difficult and I couldn't get a look inside. I made an offer under the assumption that everything inside needed to be replaced. The bank accepted my offer but refused to deliver the house vacant and after closing it quickly became apparent why. The tenant was a nightmare and after many lies and stories I was forced to evict them and then the rehab began.

Aside from the plumbing and electrical I did all of the work myself. I’m not a contractor but I have a lot of renovation experience and own all the necessary tools.

Basically everything inside both cosmetic and mechanical is now brand new. The windows, exterior doors, siding and roof were all replaced in 2010.

Now to the numbers:

I purchased it with a conventional 20% down loan and conservatively budgeted $35k for rehab. Being conservative I originally planned for a $200k ARV and expected to leave $15-20k in the deal post refinance. In total the rehab itself took 3 months plus 1 month to get it rented.

Purchase price: $132,700

Closing costs: $0 (seller closing cost credit of $2k)

Holding costs: $3k

Rehab costs: $30k

The following was replaced:

  • All plumbing (supply and drain), including water heater ($4050)
  • Furnace and Air Conditioning unit ($3045)
  • Electrical in kitchen and bath ($1800)
  • LVP Flooring throughout ($2697)
  • Stair carpeting ($410)
  • Bathrooms ($1820)
  • Kitchen ($5095)
  • Appliances ($1738)
  • Garage doors and openers ($806)
  • All new trim and doors ($2168)
  • Paint ($876)
  • Remaining costs were miscellaneous supplies, dumpster and permits

The total cash outlay on my part was $57k. The appraisal post rehab came in at $229k so with a new loan of $172k my net cash at the refinance closing will be $64k. Aside from time and labor I now have nothing invested, even will get $7k additional back and retain $57k in equity.

I'm not going to throw out cashflow numbers since everyone tends to calculate vacancy, repairs, capex differently and I don't want to get off track. PITI after the refi is $1160 and it is rented out for $1700. Tenants pay all utilities and handle snow removal as well as lawn mowing. I do self-manage being that it is only a few minutes from my house.

Before Pictures:

During Pictures:

After Pictures:

Hopefully my story can inspire someone. I know some will say that the rent to value ratio isn’t high enough and I’d be better of selling the house. Others will say you have to hire contractors and shouldn’t ever do your own work but I have the time and actually enjoy doing the work (most days at least, lol). It was a ton of work and I sometimes questioned my sanity but in the end this is a deal that works for me and it was definitely worth it.

I’m more than happy to answer any questions or provide additional details.

"Time to find another house to fli"………. Uh BRRRR.

189Reply
1,065 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 865 votes
8y

Howdy @Nicholas W.

Nice job.  Don't worry about what others think regarding cash flow.  As long as it meets your goals and you successfully got all your cash out.  Win - Win.  Again, congratulations.

See this reply in the discussion

253 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Red Bluff, CA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    Solid work! Thanks for the detail and pictures!
  • Albany, NY · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    I have to ask, how were you able to get solid comps to establish the ARV?

    I'm looking at some multi-plex properties that need some work and I keep getting hung up with the ARV...how can I be sure that the bank will finance it later at the higher ARV? In this case, like you said, it was bought "liveable" and after the remodel, it was more "liveable" but is the underwriter really going to be able to quantify that when the square footage hasn't changed?

  • Investor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2017 · 78 posts · 25 votes
    8y
    Awesome job man! Crazy what I see some people are capable of because me pursing to be a real estate investor this just motivates me even more 😎
  • Investor · Northern Virginia · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 59 votes
    8y
    Great job and good pics. Very inspiring!
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    Yes sir, it definitely does! Great job and keep up the good work!

  • Real Estate Coach · Danville, CA · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 38 votes
    8y

    Great Execution. Congratulations!!

  • Specialist · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 127 posts · 38 votes
    8y
    Thanks for sharing! Great job on the rehab
  • Jay StoryPro Member
    Investor · O Fallon, MO · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Job well done! Love the pictures, great detail and nice tenant proofing with the LVP floor.

  • Investor · Dearborn, MI · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    It looks great!! Good job!!

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Reuben H.:

    I have to ask, how were you able to get solid comps to establish the ARV?

    I'm looking at some multi-plex properties that need some work and I keep getting hung up with the ARV...how can I be sure that the bank will finance it later at the higher ARV? In this case, like you said, it was bought "liveable" and after the remodel, it was more "liveable" but is the underwriter really going to be able to quantify that when the square footage hasn't changed?

    I didn't find the comps, that is the appraisers job. When you apply for a loan the bank will hire an appraiser and they will provide a loan based on the appraisal he/she provides. For reference when I purchased the house the appraisal was $153k. You're correct that the square footage didn't chance, along with all of the other objective attributes but the condition did. An appraisal includes a condition C1-C5 and when I purchased it it was a C4 so I lost as much as $15k compared to some comps. When I refinanced it it was a C2 and was credited as much as $20k compared to some comps. Another contributing factor is that appraisers will use different comps based on the subject house. Before the rehab the comps were original condition worn out houses and after the rehab the comps were completely renovated flip type houses. I keep a close eye on my market so I had an idea and going in I was expecting an ARV of around $200k, but the market did quite well over the summer and when I applied for the refinance I was expecting closer to $220k, so $229k was a pleasant surprise.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 119 posts · 129 votes
    8y
    You mentioned seriously reconsidering inheriting a problem tenant: I agree 100% that problem tenants are the worst. I have dealt with meth heads, horders, crazy cat ladies, and down right crazies. In the end, they are usually the reason good deals still exist out there. If every landlord had nothing but high paying tenants who took pride in ownership and was a great citizen, no one would ever be a motivated seller. Great Job on a successful BRRRR! Go find yourself another problem tenant and make money with your success template you just built! Ramsey
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Hurst, TX · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    And that is how it is done, perfectly executed!  Congrats man!  It gets exciting when you do a few more of these and your equity and cash flow start to really grow each month, all for little or nothing out of pocket.  Keep up the good work!

  • Pearland, TX · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    Great job! Looks great. I’m a DIY as well. I enjoy the work. Thanks for sharing the numbers, great to see how it came together.
  • Sunnyvale , TX · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    You did an amazing job! The pictures are great thanks for sharing them.
  • Paterson, NJ · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    Congratulations buddy..awesome job
  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 58 votes
    8y

    Great Job! Love seeing the before and afters. 

    How were you able to refinance so quickly? Or did you have a seasoning period? 

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Naftali Tolibas:

    Great Job! Love seeing the before and afters. 

    How were you able to refinance so quickly? Or did you have a seasoning period? 

    Thanks Naftali, I actually have had it rented out since October 1st, I had to wait until I made 6 mortgage payments before I could begin the refinance process. Hope that helps!

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 229 posts · 271 votes
    8y
    Nicholas W. Wow great job. Just curious do you have any idea how much your total cost would have been had you completely contracted out the work? Looks great!!!!
  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jason Brown:

    Nicholas W. Wow great job. Just curious do you have any idea how much your total cost would have been had you completely contracted out the work? Looks great!!!!

    Thanks for the compliments Jason. I'd estimate an additional $8-10k if everything was contracted out.

  • Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 11 votes
    8y
    Great color on the walls! Looks great! Thanks for sharing
  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Great job, what bank did you use for the first mortgage and refi mortgage? I am in the same area, working on securing my first BRRRR property
  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Derek Mizysak:

    Great job, what bank did you use for the first mortgage and refi mortgage? I am in the same area, working on securing my first BRRRR property

    Derek, I used Commerce State Bank for the purchase and The Equitable Bank for the refinance. The only reason I changed was because my mortgage lender changed banks and my loyalties lie with her and not the bank itself.

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    I see you got a 75% LTV refi. Would they have done 80% do you know? I keep finding banks that are 70% LTV max.
  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Derek Mizysak:

    I see you got a 75% LTV refi. Would they have done 80% do you know? I keep finding banks that are 70% LTV max.

    The 75% is a Fannie/Freddie maximum on refi's for a single family, if I'm not mistaken it is 70% for 2-4 family's.

  • Wauwatosa, WI · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    Nicely done!! Thanks for sharing, I look forward to seeing the next one.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.