This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

This BRRRR thing really does work, with pictures

Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes

First a little bit of background on the house: it is a 3 bed 1.5 bath cape cod, in an older neighborhood of a class A suburb outside of Milwaukee. It was listed on the MLS, had been bank owned for about 5 years and was tenant occupied. The exterior looked good but the tenant was very difficult and I couldn't get a look inside. I made an offer under the assumption that everything inside needed to be replaced. The bank accepted my offer but refused to deliver the house vacant and after closing it quickly became apparent why. The tenant was a nightmare and after many lies and stories I was forced to evict them and then the rehab began.

Aside from the plumbing and electrical I did all of the work myself. I’m not a contractor but I have a lot of renovation experience and own all the necessary tools.

Basically everything inside both cosmetic and mechanical is now brand new. The windows, exterior doors, siding and roof were all replaced in 2010.

Now to the numbers:

I purchased it with a conventional 20% down loan and conservatively budgeted $35k for rehab. Being conservative I originally planned for a $200k ARV and expected to leave $15-20k in the deal post refinance. In total the rehab itself took 3 months plus 1 month to get it rented.

Purchase price: $132,700

Closing costs: $0 (seller closing cost credit of $2k)

Holding costs: $3k

Rehab costs: $30k

The following was replaced:

  • All plumbing (supply and drain), including water heater ($4050)
  • Furnace and Air Conditioning unit ($3045)
  • Electrical in kitchen and bath ($1800)
  • LVP Flooring throughout ($2697)
  • Stair carpeting ($410)
  • Bathrooms ($1820)
  • Kitchen ($5095)
  • Appliances ($1738)
  • Garage doors and openers ($806)
  • All new trim and doors ($2168)
  • Paint ($876)
  • Remaining costs were miscellaneous supplies, dumpster and permits

The total cash outlay on my part was $57k. The appraisal post rehab came in at $229k so with a new loan of $172k my net cash at the refinance closing will be $64k. Aside from time and labor I now have nothing invested, even will get $7k additional back and retain $57k in equity.

I'm not going to throw out cashflow numbers since everyone tends to calculate vacancy, repairs, capex differently and I don't want to get off track. PITI after the refi is $1160 and it is rented out for $1700. Tenants pay all utilities and handle snow removal as well as lawn mowing. I do self-manage being that it is only a few minutes from my house.

Before Pictures:

During Pictures:

After Pictures:

Hopefully my story can inspire someone. I know some will say that the rent to value ratio isn’t high enough and I’d be better of selling the house. Others will say you have to hire contractors and shouldn’t ever do your own work but I have the time and actually enjoy doing the work (most days at least, lol). It was a ton of work and I sometimes questioned my sanity but in the end this is a deal that works for me and it was definitely worth it.

I’m more than happy to answer any questions or provide additional details.

"Time to find another house to fli"………. Uh BRRRR.

189Reply
1,060 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 865 votes
8y

Howdy @Nicholas W.

Nice job.  Don't worry about what others think regarding cash flow.  As long as it meets your goals and you successfully got all your cash out.  Win - Win.  Again, congratulations.

See this reply in the discussion

253 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    Man that is a very nice job, all the way around. And on placement of things: sometimes all you can do is work out the best compromise, short of going way overboard on demo and relocation. I run into this in all my rentals - kitchen windows too low for base cabinets; mudrooms too tight for w/d relocation; doors off odd rooms; etc. For a flip sometimes you have to fix these things, but I have found renters are practical and either won't notice or won't care.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @JD Martin:

    Man that is a very nice job, all the way around. And on placement of things: sometimes all you can do is work out the best compromise, short of going way overboard on demo and relocation. I run into this in all my rentals - kitchen windows too low for base cabinets; mudrooms too tight for w/d relocation; doors off odd rooms; etc. For a flip sometimes you have to fix these things, but I have found renters are practical and either won't notice or won't care.

    Jd Martin, thank you for the reassuring comments, your opinion is one I very much respect and echo's my thoughts exactly, it's all about compromises and return on investment. Another choice along the same lines was to not include a lazy susan in the corner cabinet. Although I do believe they are more useful the fact is a lazy susan costs more to install, is more likely to damage the cabinets and is much more likely to break than a simple shelf. In a flip I would have no doubt installed a lazy susan. The tenants did ask me about it, but only after signing the lease because it was by no means a deciding factor.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 141 posts · 123 votes
    8y

    Great Reno! @Nicholas W. where did you learn how to renovate yourself? Did you also hire contractors?

  • Barrington, IL · Member since 2010 · 204 posts · 54 votes
    8y
    Awesome job Nickolas! Looks like high quality work that will retain a high quality customer ie tenant.
  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Bo Kim:

    Great Reno! @Nicholas W. where did you learn how to renovate yourself? Did you also hire contractors?

    Thanks Bo Kim, mostly YouTube along with some trial and error lol. I hired out plumbing, electrical and HVAC as required by the building department but did the other work myself.

  • Architect · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Beautiful work! Congrats! Came out very good and for a good price.
  • Alexandria, VA · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    great story. congrats on a perfectly executed renovation!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 120 posts · 98 votes
    8y
    Good point about the capex, vacancy and repairs. Your numbers will most likely be much lower anyways because of all the updates
  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Congratulations on the perfectly executed BRRRR!

  • Real Estate Agent · Greeley, CO · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    Great work the house looks awesome! And thank you for sharing your work. It is great to see how you implemented the strategy! Thanks again for the post! 

  • Palatine, IL · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    Great investment!! Help a noob understand brrr. You buy a house for $100k, put 25k into. So an original loan for $125k, rehab it and it’s reappraised for $225k. Get it rented. So you have $100k in equity, you take out the equity for the next brrr. But my question is that now your taking a loan out on $225k and your mortgage just jumped up. I understand by taking that equity out helps with the next one, but now the mortgage is high on the one you took the equity out of. How is a rental profit possible?
  • Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y
    Super inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing your experience
  • Steve HodgdonPro Member
    Investor · Novato, CA · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 321 votes
    8y
    And how many total hours did this take? 1000? regardless great start!!!
  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Shaun Slater:

    Great investment!!
    Help a noob understand brrr. You buy a house for $100k, put 25k into. So an original loan for $125k, rehab it and it’s reappraised for $225k. Get it rented. So you have $100k in equity, you take out the equity for the next brrr.

    But my question is that now your taking a loan out on $225k and your mortgage just jumped up. I understand by taking that equity out helps with the next one, but now the mortgage is high on the one you took the equity out of. How is a rental profit possible?

    I'm going to refer you to the originator of the BRRRR term @Brandon Turner's Blog post: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/04/2...

    When you go to refinance you will only be able to acquire a mortgage of 75% the appraised value, so $169k in your example. This would be a great deal if the rent were $1700 or more, but a real dud if the rent was say $1100. In my case my PITI payment will go from $855 before the refinance to $1160 after the refinance which I'm more than comfortable with since the rent is at $1700.

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Steve Hodgdon:
    And how many total hours did this take? 1000? regardless great start!!!

    For the rehab I estimate about 225 hours, definitely no more than 250. If you consider the $64k in equity created it's good for $256 per hour.

  • Glasgow, KY · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    I love that blue gray color with the white. Do you mind my asking what the color is. I tried the same look with one but my color was to dark and gray in the end.
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 206 posts · 138 votes
    8y
    Thanks for sharing your story. After searching long and hard for deals, I am seeing the great method of BRRR especially for the part that you will practically get a brand new house that even yourself would consider living in not alone your tenants and you would know the house inside and out. When the ARV struck high that is when the $$$$ starts to pour. I am hoping I can do my first one real soon. Did you have a problem getting the loan to start this? What kind of lending institution did you find were more accommodating to BRRR?
  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Tony Cash:

    I love that blue gray color with the white. Do you mind my asking what the color is. I tried the same look with one but my color was to dark and gray in the end.

    Thanks for the kind words Tony, I must give credit for all design decisions to my wife, I have no eye for design what so ever. The Gray on the walls is "online" and the white trim is "alabaster", both Sherwin Williams color codes.

  • Investor · Germantown, WI · Member since 2012 · 206 posts · 364 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Angela Yan:

    Thanks for sharing your story. After searching long and hard for deals, I am seeing the great method of BRRR especially for the part that you will practically get a brand new house that even yourself would consider living in not alone your tenants and you would know the house inside and out. When the ARV struck high that is when the $$$$ starts to pour. I am hoping I can do my first one real soon. Did you have a problem getting the loan to start this? What kind of lending institution did you find were more accommodating to BRRR?

    Thanks Angela, this was a conventional fannie mae loan that you can get from most any bank or credit. To get conventional financing the house basically must be liveable, and although this house was very worn out, it was in fact liveable. That was a big help in this deal because at this point I wasn't comfortable taking out a hard money loan.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 206 posts · 138 votes
    8y

    Thanks!  I am currently looking at a project that a flipper stopped in the middle so I may have to go get a construction loan because this is not liveable and still needs $58k worth of work.  Good luck and keep it up.  

  • Property Manager · Wimberley, TX · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    @Nicholas W. Excellent job! Such a motivating post.
  • Investor · Eagle, ID · Member since 2014 · 82 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    Nicholas, BRAVO!

    Way to tackle a problem, and make it work! Thank you for sharing. Best of luck on your next venture!

  • Moseley, VA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    Congrats! Fantastic work. Thanks for sharing.
  • Real Estate Investor · Macedon, NY · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 290 votes
    8y
    @nicholas great job. You just need to perform the final "R" and keep it rolling!
  • Wholesaler · Mustang, OK · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    Great work, I am hoping to do a brrr this year as well.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.