25 units at 24 years old - What I've learned

25 units at 24 years old - What I've learned

Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 436 votes

Last week, I closed on a triplex and my portfolio hit 25 units, and I wanted to share what I've learned in the hope that it may help some investors who are starting out (both young and old). This deal:

Purchase Price: $162,500

Rehab required: $10,000

ARV: 220,000

Monthly rents: $2,800

My monthly cash flow will likely total ~$350, depending on what I ultimately get for rents. I'll probably leave about $10,000 in the building after I refinance, which is more than I'd like but still makes it a good deal (for my criteria). 

Anyways, what I've learned:

- Start networking with private money lenders immediately. Even if you plan to use conventional financing for your first deal or two, you'll never be able to effectively scale and consistently close on great deals if you don't use private financing. In today's market, you just can't consistently compete (if you are looking to do a number of deals in a short amount of time) using traditional financing. When meeting with private lenders, bring sample deals that would be an example of what you'd pitch them so you can truly evaluate what caliber of deals you will need to find to secure financing.

- Start focusing on equity, not cash flow. Of course, it is essential to analyze cash flow when evaluating a potential buy and hold investment, however, I've found that the best investors are the ones who focus on leaving minimal cash in deals (and buying with equity on the front end). Stop focusing on dollars a month in cash flow, and start worrying about how much below market you are buying the property at and what your cash on cash return will be (as a %). I own properties where I make $50/door in cash flow, some people may laugh at that, but I have no money in the deal (infinite return).

- Despite the goal of not leaving cash in deals, you'll have a hard time responsibly closing on deals if you don't have cash in the bank (closing costs, inspections during due diligence, paying contractors after you close, dealing with unforeseen problems). With that being said, if you truly don't have money in the bank, focus on increasing your income before trying to figure out how to buy real estate with truly no money down.

- Always buy with your exit in mind (even if you plan to hold long term). I recently had difficulty selling the first property I bought because it had an undersized septic tank and a dug well servicing the building (not a drilled well). As a result, it didn't qualify for FHA/VA/conventional financing and my buyer pool shrunk significantly. While I ended up finding a buyer, my selling price took a serious hit (learning experience!).

- Focus on getting in the game. Don't feel the need to hit a home run on your first deal.. a single or double is better than sitting on the sidelines. If you're young and can't get conventional financing, use commercial financing. Most of my 2-4 unit properties are financed with commercial loans because I won't qualify for a traditional 30 year, fixed-rate mortgages.. sure the terms are worse but it's better than not owning property.

Best of luck to everyone!

120Reply
649 views

Most Popular Reply

Peter TverdovBusiness Member
Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but you're equity stripping everything, leaving your cash flow dangerously thin on already tiny properties at this point in time of the real estate cycle when rates are increasing and we've seen a 10 year run? I hope you're LTVs are 60-70% on those refis and not 75-80%. What is your plan when commercial loans re-set in 5 years and the rates are 7%? Your $50 or even $350 a month cash flows will go south in a damn hurry. 

I'm going to venture a guess you have little to no real reserves (credit is not a reserve) and that you haven't factored in what happens if rental markets get soft or drop.

What could go wrong being mortgaged to death? 

See this reply in the discussion

143 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Albert Glosian.  If dug couldnt be that deep.  If looking for funding or trying to sell. Wouldnt it be beneficial cost efective to get well drilled? Costs a few bucks but gets what you want

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    Thank you for this post Axel!  My brother and I are looking to get started, and I love the strategy you've laid out.  It is similar to what we are looking to accomplish.  We're hoping to get our first property soon and learn as much as possible.  I love these posts as they provide a needed adrenaline shot.

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 436 votes
    7y

    @Cody L. Thank you for the reply, it means a lot. I've seen you posting on the forums for years now and would like to end up doing the kinds of deals that you're doing!

    @Joseph Back That's awesome, you're certainly moving quickly as well. I met a few lenders through local REIA meetings and have met a couple here on BP. When I started, I asked everyone around me if they knew of anyone who worked in real estate (in any capacity) and then asked those people if they knew any investors or lenders who did private money lending. After a while, that turned up some good leads. Best of luck hitting your goals!

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 436 votes
    7y

    @David Harriman @Marcus Johnson @Javier D.  

    I appreciate your input and certainly see the risk of being highly leveraged and scaling quickly... I was not in the business in 2008 when the market crashed and realize that I've only been investing with the market at my back. I've asked many local investors I know how their portfolios were affected when prices dropped ten years ago and most say that rent prices did not fluctuate significantly but vacancy rates increased. The vacancy rate in my market right now is 4.5% and I underwrite at 9% (and actually put that money aside each month). In addition, I also actually put aside money each month for capex and maintenance/repairs. When I say my cash flow might be $50/door on a property, it's 50$/door after I've put aside nearly 40% (maintenance, capex, vacancy, and PM) of the gross rents into a separate checking account. Sure, I certainly have a significantly higher risk profile than many investors and many of the people using BP. I very may well have a tough couple of years if the market takes a steep dive - but I'm consciously preparing myself the for the scenario. Thank you for the thoughtful replies!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Back:

    Congratulations man. Currently 22 and have 6 under my belt. Goal is to have 50 units by 25 and already know the biggest challenge is going to be finding the financing. Any recommendations on where to find Private Lenders? Only been able to find and talk with two hard money lenders in my town so far and am struggling to find where these guys hang out so that I can talk with them.

     Love the company name/logo. 

    Why private $? why not local banks? Most are relationship based and offer good terms.  Not as cheap or long as agency debt but not bad 

  • Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Hello Axel,

    Thanks for the advice, its great to see lessons learned on here, so I can learn from them. 

    Vasheka

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Axel Ragnarsson , First of all Thank you for sharing your story. There are so many people out here "selling information" that only leads back to them selling more information, for more information..A cycle of NOTHING!  Anyway, when you find properties on Craiglist, how are you able to identify the scammers on the site? They're so savvy in their scams. 

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Greater Los Angeles Area · Member since 2015 · 399 posts · 261 votes
    7y

    Congrats on your success @Axel Ragnarsson!  Keep it going!

  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 427 votes
    7y

    Those are great numbers that we don't see in Seattle. Great job!

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 220 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Axel Ragnarsson:

    @David Harriman @Marcus Johnson @Javier D.  

    I appreciate your input and certainly see the risk of being highly leveraged and scaling quickly... I was not in the business in 2008 when the market crashed and realize that I've only been investing with the market at my back. I've asked many local investors I know how their portfolios were affected when prices dropped ten years ago and most say that rent prices did not fluctuate significantly but vacancy rates increased. The vacancy rate in my market right now is 4.5% and I underwrite at 9% (and actually put that money aside each month). In addition, I also actually put aside money each month for capex and maintenance/repairs. When I say my cash flow might be $50/door on a property, it's 50$/door after I've put aside nearly 40% (maintenance, capex, vacancy, and PM) of the gross rents into a separate checking account. Sure, I certainly have a significantly higher risk profile than many investors and many of the people using BP. I very may well have a tough couple of years if the market takes a steep dive - but I'm consciously preparing myself the for the scenario. Thank you for the thoughtful replies!

    Awesome. You’re killing it. Just seeing you share your success with the intentions of helping others tells me you’ll accomplish great things brother. Good luck to you 

  • Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, AL · Member since 2017 · 277 posts · 221 votes
    7y

    @Cody L. Like to use BRRRR strategy so need lenders who can give me the cash for the full purchase price and rehab up front and then I use local banks for the refinance.

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 436 votes
    7y

    @Javier D. Thank you, I appreciate it!

  • Rental Property Investor · Spartanburg, SC · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Great work! Can I ask you how you are finding your deals on multifamily properties? Thank you 

  • Winnipeg, MB · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Congrats! Thats huge!

  • Mobile, AL · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Quite the accomplishment so far! Keep it up

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 436 votes
    7y

    @James Yang Thank you James! I use a few methods to find solid, off-market deals. Most of my deals have come from small direct mail campaigns I've done to motivated sellers of multifamily properties, Craigslist, wholesalers, and through referrals from other investors and service providers in the industry. In the future, I think I'm going to start sourcing more deals with direct mail and through wholesalers in my market. 

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    I see great things in Manchester's future. I feel its place as a node city in New England and the attention its bringing to bio-tech are important elements that has Manchester on my radar for some time. Congratulations, as a first year real estate salesperson in Massachusetts the local stories of success gives my inspiration. My new company have an office in Manchester and look forward to more tips up to visit and potentially invest. Please keep me in mind if you see something! Also as a former Government employee the investments NH are making in transit are exciting to see. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Peoria, IL · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Congratulations on your incredible accomplishments! I wish I had my priorities in line at your age! Keep hustling! Thanks for sharing!

  • Real Estate Agent · Minneapolis · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    Right off the bat, I saved multiple things you said in this forum. Some of your business practices seem extremely smart to me and I'm definitely going to be replicating it, so thank you ahead of time for that. Specifically how you calculate your numbers conservatively and you keep those reserves, and that tip on finding private money lenders through your network is just brilliant. Thank you man.

    There's a decent amount of people warning about the dangers of scaling fast and getting hit by a down market, but it doesnt sound like you're unaware of those risks, and of course BP members wouldn't be following the values of BP if they didn't mention those risks, so its awesome that theres members on here willing to challenge others on their success in the hopes that they don't lose their success. 

    That being said, I'm like you and I can't do the tortoise thing. And there's plenty of people who have shown that you don't have to take the tortoise route as long as you're a smart hare and have a healthy respect for the risk you're taking. I dont think there's a right or wrong answer to the tortoise and hare question, I think you have to do what's best for you, and it seems like you are.

    This was educational and motivational, thanks man and good luck going forward!

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Great post and congrats. I'm new to real estate but I hear people talking about cash flow as is its the most important thing. For most people, It takes money to get into real estate so you should have a method of cash flow outside of it and that should allow you to focus on the bigger picture. Hey @Brian Garrett Do you ever buy out of state instead of just focusing on your current market? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2015 · 64 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    Congratulations!  

    As many people pointed out you need to find the right market.

    @Mark M.  We also live in the SF Bay Area and the market is way to competitive to be able to get decent returns.  That is why  we are now investing out of state.  We researched over 50 cities in the US before deciding on 4 markets to invest in.  We looked at multiple metrics from BLS to determine where we might get some opportunities that would meet our investment criteria.

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 436 votes
    7y

    @Jeremy Mangen I hope I can offer some value to those who are in a similar position to me, so your reply means a lot - thank you. I agree with you, everyone scales differently dependent on their strategy and goals - I was in a position where I could scale more quickly and decided to do so. Of course, this adds a level of risk to my portfolio that I (and anyone who does) needs to consider. One of the things that makes BP a great forum is that there are plenty of members who will reply to a post and offer a different opinion, challenge the OP, or offer cautionary advice. Sure, some people may not be able to sleep at night if they had more mortgages than they could count on two hands but the best I (and anyone else who scales quickly) can do is make sure they are doing so with both eyes wide open.

  • Richard CompianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chicago · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Thanks for sharing Axel!! Thats a great tip about getting a commercial loan if traditional is not possible. 

  • Realtor · Nashua, NH · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    @Axel Ragnarsson awesome story, I’m also from New Hampshire and was wondering with private money lenders do they check your credit or do they just lend based on what the deal looks like, i too am looking to start investing
  • Realtor · Nashua, NH · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    @Axel Ragnarsson awesome story, I’m also from New Hampshire and was wondering with private money lenders do they check your credit or do they just lend based on what the deal looks like, i too am looking to start investing
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.