First BRRRR (from auction) finally in the books!

First BRRRR (from auction) finally in the books!

Rental Property Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 148 votes

After a couple years of trying to get a BRRRR done, I finally accomplished this goal and wanted to share my experience!! This was after a ton of sifting through properties and being very very picky about what I would go for. I hope this is just the begging of a string of these deals, but we'll see. Next, I want to purchase a 5-10 unit property. I'm hoping this serves as inspiration for other people who have found the BRRRR thing a bit tough to crack.

About 2.5 years ago, when I decided to get into RE investing, I had no experience and I turned to BP for the vast majority of my learning (thanks BP!). I found a market, started putting together a team, found a partner etc. Still, it took me about a year to actually close on my first property. That first property was a 3-unit that I purchased for a fair but good price and is now occupied and cash flowing. I bought that property for $152k with a partner and it currently cashflows about $1,000 per month - that's with a conventional purchase mortgage we got from Wells Fargo at 75% LTV. This property gives us a nice return, but it's not worth much more than we bought it for and is going to be a simple buy and hold without much opportunity for value add or BRRRR.

After buying that first property, I realized that I just didn't have enough cash to keep buying properties that required me to let so much cash sit in the deal. It was clear that BRRRR was the only strategy that would work for me.

So I spent another year looking and in August (2018) finally found a foreclosed 3-unit being sold through an auction site in the same upstate NY area where my last property was located. It looked good, although obviously there wasn’t much info about the property and I wasn’t allowed to check out the interior in person. The exterior looked solid and there was no evidence of any issues regarding structural integrity. I also knocked on some neighbors doors and asked them about the property: I learned that the tenants had been solid, and there hadn’t been any issues with the former owner - he had just gotten sick and given up on being a landlord.

Given the inherent risk of not being able to do an interior inspection, I spoke with my contractor and figured out what was the cost of the worst case scenario and priced that in to my offer of $71,000. This was the number that made the worst case scenario still an ok outcome. I lost the auction, but when the winner dropped out, the seller (a mortgage company) accepted my offer instead. The closing process with this auction company was terrible. The terms are extremely one-sided and I was dealing with a closing agent, unable to speak with the seller or sellers attorney. It was like playing a sick and twisted game of real estate telephone. My lawyer almost quit from having to deal with this headache.

We finally closed on the last day permitted by the contract, and what did my property manager find when he visited the property? He found a well-maintained 3-units, with about $5k of work to be done. That was much better than the $40k I had made room for in my calculations.

On top of this, I knew it was 3 units and 6 bedrooms, but we didn’t know how they were distributed. I had foolishly assumed that it was 3 2-BR units, but its actually 3-2-1. This was the only disappointment, but I’m obviously not complaining.

After completing that $5k of work - paint, floors in one room, new appliances in one unit - we rented out the property and it’s currently fully occupied. Just last month, the property that I had bought for $71k appraised at $163 and was able to get a portfolio loan with a local bank. I’ve taken all my cash out of the deal and then some, and the property is still cash flowing!!

Top level numbers:

Purchase price: $71,000

Initial CapEx: $5,000

Purchase all in: ~ $80,000

Appraised: $163,000

Loan: $112,000 / 5.5% fixed / 25 years

Monthly payment PITI: ~ $1,150

Rent: $2,300

Expense Estimates: $664

1. Capex (5%):$115

2. Maintenance (5%): $115

3. Vacancy (8%): $184

4. Property Management (10%): $230

Rough estimated monthly cash flow: $487

And this is after taking EVERY PENNY out of the deal and an extra $30K to put toward another one!!

NB: I realize I got very lucky there wasn’t any damage or serious flooding or electrical or plumbing work to do. BUT since I priced that into my offer, it wouldn’t have sunk me. I just would have ended up with a single instead of a home run.

BRRRR is real haha/ thank you BP!

132Reply
253 views

Most Popular Reply

Twentynine Palms California · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 13 votes
7y

I'm new and not sure if it ok to ask,  but how did you initially fund the 71k? Congrats on the homerun! 

See this reply in the discussion

152 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    That’s why we put contingency funds into our calculations!  And now you know the process.  Good job!

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Kerry Baird yep! Thanks, Kerry!

  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 99 posts · 97 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Krantz Great job, and good luck going forward! Thanks for being so thorough with all the details.

  • Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Great job and congrats on waiting it out so long to get what sounds like a great property.

  • Realtor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Congrats @Daniel Krantz and thanks for sharing!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 22 votes
    7y
    Awesome man. Congrats and good luck on your future investments!
  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Awesome story @Daniel Krantz!  Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story, I found it really insightful! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Daniel Krantz - you hit that one to the cheap seats. Way to go!! It's good to read awesome stories like this, keeps the rest of us motivated. Thank you.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Tchaka Owen @Jon Crosby @Robb Werner @Michael Krotchie @Shawn Regnier @Drew Solidum

    Thank you all for the support and good luck on your RE journeys!

  • Brendan WinansBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent / Investor · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    Fantastic numbers. Great job. I love it when conservative assumptions regarding condition, end up playing out in our favor. Sounds like this property will  be the gift that keeps giving. 

    Winans & Associates4.714 Reviews
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2018 · 126 posts · 42 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Krantz    Obviously a great job.  It's nice when you take the required steps, make a plan, and it comes in to fruition.  Of course you would've been satisfied with a single but a Home run is always great.

    Question: When you bought your first property, did you decide not to BRRR it because you figured it would be a more simple process? I am actually just closing on my first SFH, also in upstate NY, and it will cashflow 1k per month (on a 80k property). But after a few days of buying it, I realized why it's so much more in my interest to BRRRR and immediately started looking at other properties to BRRRR.

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 2 votes
    7y

    Thank you for sharing.  I'm a newbie still trying to make my first deal.

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Great find and a great outcome! All the planning definitely paid off in the end when the renovations came in so much cheaper than expected. Thank you for sharing.

  • Vineyard, UT · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 2 votes
    7y

    thanks for sharing! What was your timeline like? How long did it take to close? Rehab? Fill it? Then refinance it? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    WOW!!! I'm so happy for you. You give the rest of us Newbies hope!

  • Palmetto Bay, FL · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    Wow Daniel! Congratulations, that's an amazing deal!

    Stories like this are really motivating for new RE investors like me that are getting started. 

  • Twentynine Palms California · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    I'm new and not sure if it ok to ask,  but how did you initially fund the 71k? Congrats on the homerun! 

  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    Wow wow wow! This is a fantastic story. How is the neighborhood that the property is in? I'm living in upstate NY and am saving up for my first property. I hope I can start about 6 months from now.

  • AZ · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Your patience definitely paid off. Thanks for the inspiration and the outline of your first BRRRR property.

  • Rental Property Investor · Thiells, NY · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    This is awesome - Congratulations

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    What a well laid out story, thanks for sharing it.  Hope that you do indeed get a string of these!

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    I’ve been doing flips for a few years. Finally have enough for a buy and hold. I bought from a wholesaler and my worst case became my worst worst case. I may end up with more in it than it will get appraised for, but I’m inspired by your good fortune and one of these days I’ll get lucky. One good thing, this home is in a great area so today’s misstep is tomorrow’s bargain. Thanks for the story, and thank you BP!

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 101 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    Congratulations! I too have taken the 2018 challenge by @BrandonTurner and have won bids on two properties from an online auction. We are preparing to close on both in the next week or so. I will be using the BRRRR strategy as well and will update you all on the details, once I get to that point.

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 4 votes
    7y

    Awesome man! What town in upstate NY?

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Krantz Amazing deal! Great job. Thanks for sharing all the details as well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.