51 Units at Age 23 (& Counting)!

51 Units at Age 23 (& Counting)!

Investor · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 674 votes

It's been nearly 2 years since my first post "$1,300,000 Deal at Age 21 & I'm Retired!", I wanted to share an update. 

Last year, 13 months after I bought my first 20 unit apartment, I had increased the gross monthly income from $12.8K to $17.2K, that allowed me to refinance out $163K ($33K more than I initially invested).
I did this through a combination of cutting expenses, raising rents to market, implementing late fees, pet/move in fees, and adding a 21st unit. 

After the refinance, I'm still cashflowing $3K+ per month, and I have all my money out of the deal.

From hundreds of hours of podcasts & reading, I decided to shift my focus to mobile home parks (in addition to apartments). I spent over a year cold calling, talking with brokers, meeting other investors, and even door knocking at owners homes directly to find MHP deals.

Finally in January of this year, another investor I knew sent me a lead on a portfolio of 3 parks. After many meetings, we settled on a price of $750K for 2 of the parks, a 30 unit and a 13 unit + a SFH.

Both parks are on city water/sewer direct billed, excellent location with strong demand, and a lot of upside in terms of low rents, addressing deferred maintenance, etc. The plan is to stabilize & refi out within 12-18 months, then snowball the capital into future deals. Essentially, the BRRRR method applied to commercial multifamily properties.

On these 2 deals, I had the capital to take them down myself, but I decided to partner with another local investor, we formalized a partnership agreement where we split all expenses/profits/work equally.

We finally closed on the 30 unit park as of May 3rd, and the 13 unit + SFH park is closing the end of this month. Including my apartments (which I own individually), that puts my total rental unit count at 51, and on June 1st it will be 65.

The main takeaways I'd like to share are:
1. Stay focused! If you haven't done a deal yet, or it's been a while since your last one, keep searching. Every day you move closer to reaching your goal; don't stop short of finding your next great deal.
2. You're better off buying no deal than a bad deal. I analyzed, went under contract, and/or visited at least 12 other MHP deals before proceeding on these. In this market particularly, you have to be sure your numbers and assumptions are accurate.
3. If you want to be successful in a particular niche, copy others who are successful in it. Don't skimp on your education, it's an investment in yourself. I've attended multiple live events & went through training courses from both apartment & mobile home park operators. Success leaves clues; you don't have to reinvent the wheel, copy what works.

Don't wait for something to happen, go out and make it happen. 👍🏻

110Reply
641 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Lake Charles, LA · Member since 2009 · 271 posts · 52 votes
7y

Congratulations !! All of these deals are in your market ? Also what podcasts do u listen to regularly?

See this reply in the discussion

115 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Congrats Abraham! You're an inspiration to many. Wish you greater success!

  • TX · Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Abraham Anderson

    Impressive!! 👏👏

    Im going to follow you if that ok... my focus is to own appartment complexes too. Passive income is a 9th wonder of the world! Lol

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Wow! This really motivates me to think bigger. 

  • Roseville Ca · Member since 2015 · 74 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    @Abraham Anderson awesome bro! Is there a link to the story on your first 20 door deal? I am just starting and looking for my first deal to pull the trigger on and enjoy drawing inspiration from reading the "first deal success stories" of others. Best of luck in your future investments!

  • Investor · HI · Member since 2017 · 328 posts · 124 votes
    7y

    Great job! Congrats.

  • Daniel SomersPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tiffin, OH · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    Wow that's amazing and inspiring! Good work!

  • Real Estate Broker · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2019 · 198 posts · 46 votes
    7y

    Are you having someone else manage the properties?

  • Investor · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Abraham Anderson:

    It's been nearly 2 years since my first post "$1,300,000 Deal at Age 21 & I'm Retired!", I wanted to share an update. 

    Last year, 13 months after I bought my first 20 unit apartment, I had increased the gross monthly income from $12.8K to $17.2K, that allowed me to refinance out $163K ($33K more than I initially invested).
    I did this through a combination of cutting expenses, raising rents to market, implementing late fees, pet/move in fees, and adding a 21st unit. 

    After the refinance, I'm still cashflowing $3K+ per month, and I have all my money out of the deal.

    From hundreds of hours of podcasts & reading, I decided to shift my focus to mobile home parks (in addition to apartments). I spent over a year cold calling, talking with brokers, meeting other investors, and even door knocking at owners homes directly to find MHP deals.

    Finally in January of this year, another investor I knew sent me a lead on a portfolio of 3 parks. After many meetings, we settled on a price of $750K for 2 of the parks, a 30 unit and a 13 unit + a SFH.

    Both parks are on city water/sewer direct billed, excellent location with strong demand, and a lot of upside in terms of low rents, addressing deferred maintenance, etc. The plan is to stabilize & refi out within 12-18 months, then snowball the capital into future deals. Essentially, the BRRRR method applied to commercial multifamily properties.

    On these 2 deals, I had the capital to take them down myself, but I decided to partner with another local investor, we formalized a partnership agreement where we split all expenses/profits/work equally.

    We finally closed on the 30 unit park as of May 3rd, and the 13 unit + SFH park is closing the end of this month. Including my apartments (which I own individually), that puts my total rental unit count at 51, and on June 1st it will be 65.

    The main takeaways I'd like to share are:
    1. Stay focused! If you haven't done a deal yet, or it's been a while since your last one, keep searching. Every day you move closer to reaching your goal; don't stop short of finding your next great deal.
    2. You're better off buying no deal than a bad deal. I analyzed, went under contract, and/or visited at least 12 other MHP deals before proceeding on these. In this market particularly, you have to be sure your numbers and assumptions are accurate.
    3. If you want to be successful in a particular niche, copy others who are successful in it. Don't skimp on your education, it's an investment in yourself. I've attended multiple live events & went through training courses from both apartment & mobile home park operators. Success leaves clues; you don't have to reinvent the wheel, copy what works.

    Don't wait for something to happen, go out and make it happen. 👍🏻

  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Abraham Anderson congratulations and Thank you for the inspiration..

  • Real Estate Agent · Renton, WA · Member since 2017 · 204 posts · 151 votes
    7y

    @Abraham Anderson Congrats on your success, hardwork and dedication does pays off.  You're off to a great start.  Thanks for sharing your inspiring story and showing what's possible. Happy Investing!!

  • Investor · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 674 votes
    7y

    Thank you all for the kinds words, I am going to do my best to reply to all the questions:

    @Tyler Horton

    The capital for the first deal was from an earlier new construction flip of 4 town homes. I had the money to do that deal from a year of selling insurance (which I still do), if you want more details on that check out my first thread here

    @Muhammad Sohaib Hafeez

    I had to fire two property managers, currently I am self managing. For repairs/maintenance, all calls go to a google voicemail where they leave their unit number/issue, then I call the appropriate vendor to schedule repairs. For rent collection, they can either pay online with a bank draft (free to them), or with cash/debit card at any Walmart or Kroger, and the rent is direct deposited into my bank account. When there's vacancy, I use facebook marketplace & craigslist to advertise, it never takes more than a few days to fill

    @Peyton Zachrich

    Awesome bro, keep crushing it.

    @Shawn Harrison

    I would look for ways to increase your income. I know people who do wholesaling or flips in order to generate capital for their buy & hold properties, you could look into that, or into picking up a "side hustle" to save for your next rental.

    @Ajibola Talabi

    I got my first property through savings from my insurance sales job. See my first post here

    @Aurelien Bonin

    I found my local partner through Biggerpockets :) he saw other posts I'd made and reached out. Regarding qualification process, every bank can be different, one tip is go to local banks, they can be a lot more flexible in terms of requirements/qualification than regional or national banks can be. You can also get much better terms.

    In terms of finding a bank that's willing to do an MHP, the qualifying question is asking whether or not they've done these types of loans before. Banks that have done them love them, but others haven't and don't understand the asset class, don't be their guinea pig.

    @Joshua Zlatkin Check out my first thread here where I go into this

    @Jacob Edwards

    MHPs are very similar to apartments, they are both commercial multifamily. The two biggest expenses with apartments are turnover and repair & maintenance. With MHPs, both of these metrics are much better. The average resident stays ~13 years, vs ~1 year with apartments, so turnover is much lower. Also, with MHPs, the residents own their own home, so you have zero repairs & maintenance of their house (only capital expenses such as maintaning the roads, etc).

    @Alex Jones

    My daily mindset begins the night before. I lay out everything I need to do, then prioritize it based on the most important. It can be hard to develop this habit, but it's how you scale. Generally I will repeat self motivators to myself to stay upbeat and positive :).

    @Daniel Hughes

    To answer your question, yes. I'm naturally a very introverted person, it's a matter of making yourself be outgoing (because that's where the money is). Success is right outside your comfort zone.

    @George Lods

    Yes, see here

    @Aaron Moayed

    Currently I'm self managing, it's not too bad, I've automated a lot of it as I outlined above.

    After I close the upcoming deals, my next "goal" is to hire a full time assistant to handle all of the day to day tasks of property management.

  • Real Estate Broker · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2019 · 198 posts · 46 votes
    7y

    Do you have these units/MF buildings in an LLC? Umbrella insurance policy? Just curious your liability coverage.

  • Hartford, CT · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Hi Abraham,

    Congratulations on your progress!

    Question for you, for your first 20 unit investment what preparations did you do or take beforehand? Did you take any landlord courses to prepare yourself to what you were going to be dealing with or did you go with a management firm to deal with the tenants?

    What was your initial thoughts going into your first deal?

  • Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2013 · 162 posts · 127 votes
    7y

    @Abraham Anderson

    Thanks you for taking the time to follow up with my question.

    Alex

  • Investor · Jackson, WY · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Congratulations on your deals!

  • Worcester, MA · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Wow, it goes to show that it's often not fancy or special knowledge. It sounds like you put in the time, made the calls, booked the meetings.  I think sometimes folks look for the silver bullet, instead of hitting the phones day after day.  Amazing work!

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 229 posts · 229 votes
    7y

    @Andres Felipe Aristizabal “If You Can’t Wholesale After This Then I’ve Got Nothing for You” and “If You Can’t Cashflow After This Then I’ve Got Nothing for You”

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    Love this. A lot of people starting so young and earning so much would immediately jump to upping their lifestyle, but you took it slow and invested in your next move. 

    It's worth holding off on the flex to create true financial independence. Thank you for the update and the reminder!

  • Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 678 posts · 531 votes
    7y

    Well done @Abraham Anderson! Congratulations!! I'm looking to take a similar path. I have a 20-unit MF and have grown NOI pretty substantially. Not sure if I should sell or leverage/refi. Perhaps you had the same consideration?

  • Real Estate Agent · Northwest Arkansas · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Abraham Anderson incredible work man. People like yourself are showing how its possible, no matter what your age is! Keep up the great work!!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    This is so inspiring!!

  • Investor · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Inspiring! Thanks for sharing and congrats on your success 

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    Where does a 23 year old get $750,000 to make it happen?

  • New to Real Estate · Northridge, CA · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Great job!

  • Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Abraham Anderson, Congratulations!  love it,  Don't wait for something to happen, go out and make it happen!! 

    I'm off to make something happen!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.