From teacher to 10 units in 10 months!

From teacher to 10 units in 10 months!

Real Estate Broker · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 193 posts · 346 votes

I’m so excited because I just closed on my 10th out of state unit today! I did my first deal ever exactly 10 months ago, thanks to the Bigger Pockets podcast, a lot of library books and a lot of good people. Before this I was an environmental education teacher for over a decade, and last year I got hooked when my friend had me listen to the podcast. So when yet another grant-funded position ended earlier this year, I chose to take a break from full time work and focus on RE instead...and it’s been so amazing!!

On my break I took classes in construction management and spent a lot of time going to meetups. Now I’m working as a project manager for a GC to get real world experience (building a ground up affordable housing development in LA), and I’m getting my real estate license. I also donate 1% of all gross revenue (not just profits) from real estate investments to affordable housing and community development, and am partnering with other investors to create a social equity financial model for our rental properties. More on that when I set up the blog. 

So my commitment to social justice hasn’t gone away, it’s just transformed into this new field (new to me) of real estate investing. I’m also really passionate about my non-profit colleagues finding their way to financial freedom as well. (If you can only read one book, read Your Money or Your Life). So far I’ve got 4 houses and 3 duplexes with none of my own cash invested except the first deal, and my goal is to be at 30 units with at least $60,000/year of net cash flow within the next 3 years.

My wife loves me AND is sick of me talking real estate all the time lol so if people ever want to catch up and talk RE I’m in! Some other folks in LA like @John Koster and @Shiva Bhaskar and I like to connect on out of state investing over beers every couple of months, and a new thing we’re talking about too is Opportunity Zones.

So anyway, I haven’t really shared too much of my story here and I just wanted to spread some inspiration for other go getters and life changers on the forums. 

As @Alexander Felice says, I think you’ve got to be a little obsessed. And take action! Thanks for all those who have supported me so far and to many more!

220Reply
1,322 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 52 votes
6y

Amazing! You have accomplished so much in just 10mths. Congratulations!! Mind sharing how you funded and structured your first deal/rental purchase and how you were able to scale so quickly?

See this reply in the discussion

252 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    I work as an emergency substitute teacher and have considered getting my teaching license, but would rather do real estate.  This year I have partnered on a flip, bought a single family home out of state and started house hacking by renting out a room in my house.  I would like to know where you took courses in construction management as I hope to be more involved in flipping in the future.  Also interested in the details of how you did so many deals so fast.  TIA

  • Dripping Springs, TX · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 9 votes
    6y

    How did you finance 10 units in 10 months? I mean great, just curious. 

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    That's awesome ! 

  • Union City, NJ · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Sammy Lyon wow such an inspiration story. Following your passion, creating wealth for your family and supporting the community all in one fowl swoop. I live in the LA area too and would love to meet with you and your friends the next time you all meet up. Do you go to any RE meetups specifically?

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Good work Sammy, I followed a similar path spending a decade as a physics/ chemistry/ outdoor ed teacher. Good memories there!

  • Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote
    6y

    Excellent success story! 

  • Lender · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 31 votes
    6y

    @Sammy Lyon congrats! Love that you are giving back to the community! Keep up the great job and good luck!

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Sammy Lyon

    Your story, your focus, your inspiration is awesome!

    I’m new to Real Estate and have been trying to figure out how to get started with very little money, I listen to BP podcasts as often as I can working nights and all! Sometimes it gets a little disappointing when you don’t know where to start and you get some saying you need more capital or more debt to start with! I read and watch YouTube videos on some saying you can invest without your own money, but need something to bring to the table! And it’s proof you can from your story, I currently live in the Phoenix area! The market is hot and they are doing a lot of development down here. I would love to have a chance to meet you guys and your friends in LA one weekend your free, the drive for me is 4 or 5hrs it will be worth the drive to meet and talk and maybe you can give me some pointers. If you ever have time please let me know, and the book you suggested I will look into also!!

    Thanks for the story!

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 2 votes
    6y

    Congrats and great start.  I too and getting started.  I am wondering what your personal cash flow is from these 10 units and what you expect it to be when you get to 30 units.  You say $60K, but is that to you or to you and the investors?  How are you structured with them?  Thanks

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 2 votes
    6y

    Congrats! Sounds like you're passionate about what you do. I would love to hear more about the social justice / "social equity financial model for our rental properties" aspect of what you're doing.

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 3 votes
    6y

    I’m a teacher in LA and find the way you made an opportunity out of a frustrating (and too frequent) situation inspiring. Please post your next LA gathering. 

  • Marie BifolckPro Member
    Acton, MA · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    You are so impressive. There’s a special place in heaven for teachers and day care providers—so nice to see someone like you have this kind of success!

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    6y
    Congrats Sammy! Very inspiring!

    would help if you can share where your properties are located, multi family/single family, cash flow per unit, how did you find these deals and financing part.

    Originally posted by @Sammy Lyon:

    I’m so excited because I just closed on my 10th out of state unit today! I did my first deal ever exactly 10 months ago, thanks to the Bigger Pockets podcast, a lot of library books and a lot of good people. Before this I was an environmental education teacher for over a decade, and last year I got hooked when my friend had me listen to the podcast. So when yet another grant-funded position ended earlier this year, I chose to take a break from full time work and focus on RE instead...and it’s been so amazing!!

    On my break I took classes in construction management and spent a lot of time going to meetups. Now I’m working as a project manager for a GC to get real world experience (building a ground up affordable housing development in LA), and I’m getting my real estate license. I also donate 1% of all gross revenue (not just profits) from real estate investments to affordable housing and community development, and am partnering with other investors to create a social equity financial model for our rental properties. More on that when I set up the blog. 

    So my commitment to social justice hasn’t gone away, it’s just transformed into this new field (new to me) of real estate investing. I’m also really passionate about my non-profit colleagues finding their way to financial freedom as well. (If you can only read one book, read Your Money or Your Life). So far I’ve got 4 houses and 3 duplexes with none of my own cash invested except the first deal, and my goal is to be at 30 units with at least $60,000/year of net cash flow within the next 3 years.

    My wife loves me AND is sick of me talking real estate all the time lol so if people ever want to catch up and talk RE I’m in! Some other folks in LA like @John Koster and @Shiva Bhaskar and I like to connect on out of state investing over beers every couple of months, and a new thing we’re talking about too is Opportunity Zones.

    So anyway, I haven’t really shared too much of my story here and I just wanted to spread some inspiration for other go getters and life changers on the forums. 

    As @Alexander Felice says, I think you’ve got to be a little obsessed. And take action! Thanks for all those who have supported me so far and to many more!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 2 votes
    6y

    @Sammy Lyon

    That’s amazing! Thanks for sharing! Would love to hear more. I’m from San Diego so not too far. Maybe we can connect sometime!

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Amazing story and congrats- Look forward to hearing more about your journey!

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    6y

    @Sammy Lyon May I ask what out of state markets you like. I to have gone from 0-9 units within a short period , refinancing after my first as well to pay for the rest. I would like to diversify out of where I am, just to have a little bit in a lot of good markets. 

    Anyone’s input would be helpful of course :) of a good rest of the week!

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    CONGRATULATIONS! Huge accomplishments. 

  • Rental Property Investor · South Florida and Central Florida · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    Great job. Keep it up. 

  • Lakewood, OH · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Which "Your Money or Your Life" book did you read? There are multiple books with the same title but different authors. Appreciate any help!

  • Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    Would love to join next time you meet up.  I am in central LA, used to work in environmental education and am a residential real estate agent, also working towards my first investment property.  Would love to hear how you got started funding wise. 

  • Investor · Trenton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Sammy Lyon thanks for sharing I searched the book what is the name of the Author?

  • Poughkeepsie, NY · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Sammy Lyon that’s awesome to hear! Hope to follow in that footsteps!! ❤️❤️❤️

  • Port Ludlow, WA · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Sammy Lyon

    I’m a teacher too! If you ever make it to Seattle we have a few good breweries!! Thanks for sharing your story... you’re still teaching & inspiring others btw, from an elective area of expertise ;-) Thank You!!

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ and FL · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Great post! @sammylyon can you elaborate more on construction management and how you fund and get your deals? Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Sammy, A BIG congrats on your momentum! It's certainly a nice accomplishment. I too made the shift about 15 months ago. I've purchased 6 out of state rental properties and looking to add another 15 more within the next 2yrs. I think your success is only as good as the people you surround yourself with. Would love to connect with you and your group (and anyone else on this thread) to share ideas, success stories and to inspire one another to achieve our individual goals. 

    I live in Los Angeles, so let me know if you guys are open to meeting up in the next few weeks. Best-James 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.