VICTORY! I finally did it

VICTORY! I finally did it

Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 181 posts · 242 votes

Just closed on my first SFH 2 weeks ago and I am AMPED to have finally defeated paralysis analysis and joined the club. Quitclaim deed has been initiated and the property is officially in the LLC's name. Let the fun begin! Here are the dirty details:

  • Purchase price: $112,502
  • 25% down
  • 3.375% int rate (paid ~ $1,500 in points)
  • 3 bed 2 full bath with 4th non-conforming bed in the basement
  • Detached garage and carport
  • Property taxes $1,127
  • Insurance $1,050
  • Property management 5%
  • Rent $1,250
  • Vacancy rate 5%
  • Maintenance and repairs 6%
  • Oh **** fund 5%
  • Cash flow $421/month

My main issue going forward (like many fellow investors) is having enough capital to purchase more properties. I am able to find great (> 1% on the 1% rule) properties but I don't want to wait 6 months to save up enough cash. Time to get the BP book on no and low money down and also find some partners!

146Reply
325 views

Most Popular Reply

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
6y

@Nicholas Sheridan, Jr. in light of your post, we are going to officially relabel the “capex reserve” in our calculators the “oh sh** fund”. This is far more intuitive.

Congratulations on what seems like a great first step!

See this reply in the discussion

185 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr. you should be extremely proud. Keep up the great work. 

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr. in light of your post, we are going to officially relabel the “capex reserve” in our calculators the “oh sh** fund”. This is far more intuitive.

    Congratulations on what seems like a great first step!

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 181 posts · 242 votes
    6y

    @Scott Trench Hahaha I am pretty sure I picked this up from BP actually! Thanks!

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 181 posts · 242 votes
    6y
  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 181 posts · 242 votes
    6y

    @Joseph M'Mwirichia I should definitely have considered putting less money down but I was focused on the killer rate. My cash on cash return would have been about 4% higher if I only put down 15% PLUS I would have had an extra $10k for the next deal. Part of the learning curve!

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 53 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr. Way to go man! Happy for you! $400 + in cash flow is nothing to scoff at.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 181 posts · 242 votes
    6y

    Thanks @Ethan Perry I did pay a little over a point to get there and I am kicking myself for not taking another look at putting less down but whatever - sooner I can do a heloc!

  • Rental Property Investor · Jim Thorpe, PA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr.

    Congrats!!!!

    It’s a great feeling and the next become easier.

  • Financial Advisor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Yah!

    I closed in the LLC yesterday under these details:

    List Price/Value Price: $115k

    Purchase Price: $105k

    Down: $36k

    Rate: 12 months @12% annual

    Pmt: $930 monthly

    Renovations: $20-30k

    ARV: $165k

    Total equity current: $46k/40%

    Total equity @ARV: $72k/62.6%

    Cash-out: $39k

    All in all, not bad.

  • Chris HeppnerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Buford, GA · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr. congratulations man!!!

  • Dearborn, MI · Member since 2019 · 124 posts · 41 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr.:

    @Beth Pagano made a lot of mistakes but can't wait to not repeat them on the next deal! Thanks!

    @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr. congrats!! One of the biggest steps. What are some of those mistakes you would like a newbie like me to avoid? What tips do you have to figuring out whether it’s a good deal (and your numbers are real) or you’re just in analysis paralysis?

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr. congrats!!.. I can't wait to get my first deal. Keep striving & Best of luck.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 181 posts · 242 votes
    6y

    @Lawrence Horne @Chris Heppner @Scott Garber Thank you! Many more to come

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 181 posts · 242 votes
    6y

    @Nader Hachem Thanks! I could write a book with all the mistakes I made. I would say the top 3 are: pay really close attention on the inspection and open every window, turn on every light and appliance. The next being don't automatically assume putting down 25% on a SFH is your best bet - I am regretting not putting down less and having more money for the next deal. The third would be use a real estate agent and get their contacts on electricians, hvac etc companies.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 181 posts · 242 votes
    6y

    @Brad E. very nice! Make sure you put that in an LLC. It took me less than an hour to get everything setup. Also make sure you have a bullet proof operating agreement

  • New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr. congrats

  • Investor · Colonial Heights, VA · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 53 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr. Congrats on your first SFH! I was wondering how you got such low rate for a investment property! Did you use a online or portfolio lender?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Canton, OH · Member since 2019 · 26 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr.

    Congrats, currently in a similar position as you. Just closed on my first duplex today (FSBO). Got a great deal on it as one side is occupied and another side is down to the studs and construction beginning this week.

    Good luck on your journey!

  • Real Estate Broker · Boston, MA · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr. Congrats man! That's awesome - I'm new to real estate investing as well. Seeing you accomplish this and get so excited makes me want to charge on to my first deal even more. Best of luck to your goal of 100!

  • Andrew AdamBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2014 · 159 posts · 111 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr. Congrats, that is GREAT! I love the "

    Oh **** fund 5%

    LOL!

  • Jason JamesPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Hillsboro, OR · Member since 2018 · 117 posts · 64 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr. Congrats man!! Nice to see to you break thru the analysis paralysis!!!

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr. Congratulations!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 70 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr.

    Hey, Nicholas!! Way to get that first property. That’s a powerful step forward. Good luck towards the future!

    Best,

    Josiah

  • Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Congratulations

  • New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 65 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Sheridan, Jr.

    Congratulations!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.