2018 Happiest Cities in America

2018 Happiest Cities in America

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes

I know many people don't put much faith in "best city" studies, but cities that keep ending up on the top of lists are there for a reason. What are your thoughts on this study by Wallet Hub ranking 2018 Happiest Cities?

https://wallethub.com/edu/happiest-places-to-live/...

Interesting to note, two of the top ten cities where in North Dakota, two of top ten in Texas and four of the top ten were in California. Sioux Falls, SD was number seven on the list. They weighted in three major categories:

Emotional and physical well being

Income and employment

Community and environment

I think these lists have value as cities try to attract businesses and residents. Not that anyone moves only because of a list, but it is a "feather in the cap" for a city. It is an interesting mixture of different size cities, different weather and different wealth levels.

1 Fremont, CA
2 Bismarck, ND
3 San Jose, CA
4 Pearl City, HI
5 Plano, TX
6 Fargo, ND
7 Sioux Falls, SD
8 Irvine, CA
9 Huntington Beach, CA
10 Grand Prairie, TX
11 Madison, WI
12 Columbia, MD
13 San Francisco, CA
14 Scottsdale, AZ
15 Overland Park, KS
16 Santa Clarita, CA
17 Glendale, CA
18 Oakland, CA
19 St. Paul, MN
20 Gilbert, AZ
0Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @Greg H.:

Really ?  How happy can you be in the dead of winter in Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Dakotas ?

Snowmobiling, skiing, sledding, playing in the snow with your family, etc.

How can one be happy in TX when you have to try and hide from the weather when it hits 120* and the bugs never die?

See this reply in the discussion

43 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Alamos, CA · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 62 votes
    8y

    Huh. So I live close to both Fremont (#1) and San Jose (#3). I wouldn't call either of those particularly "happy" and while either of those could easily have been my farm area for REI, I chose Sioux Falls to invest.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y

    @Kelly Byrd I have spent some time in your neck of the woods and when I am not sitting in my car parked in traffic, I find it to be a great area. Fremont took number one for lowest separation and divorce rate in the study so maybe staying married is the key to happiness? 

    It is interesting you picked Sioux Falls. What lead you to our tiny city of under 200K people?

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Joe Splitrock Well that's one heck of a list but I have to admit, I'm with @Kelly Byrd in that I'd never have expected Fremont to top the list.  I mean...well...it's Fremont.  And how Oakland rolls up there I can't quite figure out.  Not to mention good ol' San Diego just doesn't cut the mustard.  We are down at 32 but I'm guessing it's because we're just too lazy to actually respond to surveys.  We're also too lazy to try and keep the Chargers but that's another story.  

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 353 posts · 223 votes
    8y

    I don't put any weight to those studies/surveys.  I think they make them say what they want them to say.  You would think there would be similar results in all of the articles like this if it really meant anything.  Below is an article that has the best places to live.  You would think there might be some connection between the "happiest" and "best" but it isn't the case.  The #1 is not even on this list.  

    https://livability.com/list/top-100-best-places-to...

  • Investor · Bismarck, ND · Member since 2017 · 110 posts · 50 votes
    8y

    I personally love living in Bismarck & think it is a great place to live., but I’m probably a lil biased since i’ve lived here since I was 3. It does seem to me people are generally happy and friendly around here, there is no real traffic issues unless maybe a moose gets into town and causes some rubbernecking. 

    As for the real estate, I feel the rental world is kinda tight to work in. I've got 3 properties that are cash flowing well, but I really haven't seen anything on the MLS that makes sense in months. Flipping is even more difficult in my opinion.

  • Financial Consultant · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2009 · 114 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    #Scottsdale

    Emotional and physical well being: (We have plenty of bars and that doesn't do it we have plenty of events with drinks)

    Income and employment: Depends on what you do, but Real Estate is not on par with the majority of the income earned here

    Community and environment: (We have plenty of bars and that doesn't do it we have plenty of events with drinks)

    Like others have said take it with a grain of salt.....Like living in Scottsdale and the above is a joke if some of you don't get it :)

  • Investor · Vacaville, CA · Member since 2016 · 433 posts · 249 votes
    8y

    Oakland at 18... need I say more. Lol. Fake news here. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 730 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John P.:

    Oakland at 18... need I say more. Lol. Fake news here. 

    Right, and Vacaville is a real gem? 

  • Investor · Vacaville, CA · Member since 2016 · 433 posts · 249 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @John P.:

    Oakland at 18... need I say more. Lol. Fake news here. 

    Right, and Vacaville is a real gem? 

     No doubt you are right but it's not on the list of happiest places and I don't live there.  The list is very Bay Area focused obviously. It's like all these lists. Fake news. 

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    Really ?  How happy can you be in the dead of winter in Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Dakotas ?

    There are not too many happy faces driving from Plano to Dallas during rush hour on Central Expressway !

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Greg H.:

    Really ?  How happy can you be in the dead of winter in Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Dakotas ?

    Snowmobiling, skiing, sledding, playing in the snow with your family, etc.

    How can one be happy in TX when you have to try and hide from the weather when it hits 120* and the bugs never die?

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Greg H.:

    Really ?  How happy can you be in the dead of winter in Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Dakotas ?

    There are not too many happy faces driving from Plano to Dallas during rush hour on Central Expressway !

    How happy can you be in the summer when its so hot you have to hide in your house? You can add clothing in the winter and once you do, most days are quite tolerable and many are beautiful in the winter. I've been to your area and think the TX hill country is beautiful, as well as the people who live there (the people remind me of the people here in many ways). That said, with exception to the capital building which is a fine example of architecture, I thought Austin and much of the hill country really, was a bit of a crap hole with crappy houses. The people who live there however, did not appear to notice. Too much rock, too little water, too much heat in the summer, winters are nice. These conditions spur sub-par homes in many cases, as superior homes just aren't necessary, a condition that plagues the entire south. Then again, crappy housing, low resident expectations and a high rent/cost ratio are a REI's dream - lol.

    I think much of what makes an area "wonderful" is the perception of the people who live there. WI has a lot of that going on. WI also has a lot to love, and the people who live here are quite content that the rest of the world doesn't want to come and bring their mess with them - y'all just keep flying right on over, we'll wave to you as you go by. For the long-term generational investors who also subscribe to the global warming and shortage of fresh water predictions, WI will become the prime real estate on the planet in that scenario - lol. What do we do in the winter? We fix up our houses.

    To each his own and different strokes for different folks. I think the OP has a point when they said a few cities consistently make the ranks. Madison, WI is one of those, and I am not sure exactly why, unless the presence of commune living and student housing is a major factor - lol. Just kidding - Madison is nice in its ways and does have some good stuff going on, but has a whole bunch of crap housing too (doesn't pay to fix up student housing). Housing prices in Madison behave more like Chicago than they do the rest of WI.

    Peace! PS - I am still planning on making it down for that huge music festival y'all have going on there one of these years (forgot the name). If you like music too, turns out Milwaukee hosts the largest music festival in the world every summer. Its right on the lakefront and goes through the 4th of July, so its pretty cool to watch your band from one eye, while watching the fireworks over the water with the other. Not for people who don't like crowds or drunk people. 

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Woodrich:
    Originally posted by @Greg H.:

    Really ?  How happy can you be in the dead of winter in Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Dakotas ?

    Snowmobiling, skiing, sledding, playing in the snow with your family, etc.

    How can one be happy in TX when you have to try and hide from the weather when it hits 120* and the bugs never die?

    ...and the bugs never die...very nice for mother nature to play exterminator here isn't it?

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Joe Splitrock And in places where it's sunny! :) 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    ...and the bugs never die...very nice for mother nature to play exterminator here isn't it?

    For sure, can't imaging having mosquito season year round.  My wife would surely make me move if she had to deal with the large water bugs, giant crickets, and scorpions!

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Greg H. that's what planes, Airbnb and passive income are for.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    While I appreciate y'alls passion about your communities, the numbers don't lie.  My post was more tongue in cheek but here you go

    Merrit- Since 1970, the population of Milwaukee is down 20% while Austin is approaching a gain of 400%.  Most northern metropolitan cities would reflect similar numbers

    The "crappy" houses in Austin could be bought for 100K or so when I got into the business in 1989.  Those same houses would be $1-2 million today 

    The heat?  We average approx 16 days above 100 degrees.  I can eat outdoors at a restaurant probably 300 days a year listening to live music on the patio.  I will open my pool in a couple of weeks and be able to swim until late September.  I can play golf year around. The only days I "hide" in my house is when the temp gets in the 30s

    Austin literally has a festival every weekend.  We are heading down to SXSW this afternoon and will enjoy temps in the low 80s. 

    John-  The temp never approaches 120 degrees

    My wife and I travel extensively and to a person have never had anyone say a negative word about Austin(Except traffic)

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Woodrich:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    ...and the bugs never die...very nice for mother nature to play exterminator here isn't it?

    For sure, can't imaging having mosquito season year round.  My wife would surely make me move if she had to deal with the large water bugs, giant crickets, and scorpions!

     Never ever seen a scorpion in my house but I have seen the Scorpions in concert.  I have no idea what a giant water bug is and crickets are an issue maybe a week a year.  They must only be an issue in the crappy houses

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y

    @Greg H. I don't understand.  what do you mean "open your pool"?  Is it ever closed???

    I think the list is dead on and the science behind it impeccable.  Everyone should move to the top 50 cities.  

    We're not the city you're looking for......

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Greg H.:
    Never ever seen a scorpion in my house but I have seen the Scorpions in concert.  I have no idea what a giant water bug is and crickets are an issue maybe a week a year.  They must only be an issue in the crappy houses

     These aren't issues in MN, but they are in TX.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Dave Foster

    For full disclosure, we do have a heater so we could use it year around but we just choose to use the hot tub in winter

    I grew up in W Palm Beach where it was possible to swim year around

    I am still waiting to hear the first person tell me " I can't wait to retire and move to the north"  except for those moving to "North" Palm Beach or "North" Ft Myers

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Greg H.

    I am not really arguing with you however it is stupid to try and say one are is better than the other.

    If someone doesn't care about golf, they could care less about you having the ability to golf every day of the year (except for when you said you are hiding inside when it gets to the 30s....  Sounds like you can't golf year round because the weather is too bad...).  

    If someone enjoyed ice skating where would they take their kids in January to build memories in Austin???

    The argument is stupid - everyone has different preferences.  I imaging most people living in the south are happy living in the south, same goes for the north.  If it really bothers them they will move.

    RE and population do not mean much - people travel to where work and family are.  We also don't have a lot of people itching to come down from Canada.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Greg H.:

    @Dave Foster

    For full disclosure, we do have a heater so we could use it year around but we just choose to use the hot tub in winter

    I grew up in W Palm Beach where it was possible to swim year around

    I am still waiting to hear the first person tell me " I can't wait to retire and move to the north"  except for those moving to "North" Palm Beach or "North" Ft Myers

    Many people retire to places like FL and TX because they have no state income tax. Easier to afford retirement and if they are selling a business, the taxes along may pay for their house.  MORE people are retiring to AZ because the weather isn't as harsh as it is in TX.

    In the north we have "snowbirds" who travel down to the south for the winter and come back for the rest of the year.  They live in the north in the spring/summer/fall because they can't handle the weather in the south year round!  :)

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Woodrich:
    Originally posted by @Greg H.:

    @Dave Foster

    For full disclosure, we do have a heater so we could use it year around but we just choose to use the hot tub in winter

    I grew up in W Palm Beach where it was possible to swim year around

    I am still waiting to hear the first person tell me " I can't wait to retire and move to the north"  except for those moving to "North" Palm Beach or "North" Ft Myers

    Many people retire to places like FL and TX because they have no state income tax. Easier to afford retirement and if they are selling a business, the taxes along may pay for their house.  MORE people are retiring to AZ because the weather isn't as harsh as it is in TX.

    In the north we have "snowbirds" who travel down to the south for the winter and come back for the rest of the year.  They live in the north in the spring/summer/fall because they can't handle the weather in the south year round!  :)

     Your making my point for me.  They live up north but escape for the winter !   My original comment was about the winters in the north which I appreciate that we are now in agreement

    Washington, Wyoming, South Dakota and Alaska also have no state income tax.  Why aren't the masses flocking there to retire ?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Greg H.:
    Originally posted by @John Woodrich:
    Your making my point for me.  They live up north but escape for the winter !   My original comment was about the winters in the north which I appreciate that we are now in agreement

    Washington, Wyoming, South Dakota and Alaska also have no state income tax.  Why aren't the masses flocking there to retire ?

    One can look at it the other way - they want to live in the south but they can't stand the weather and live in the north for 3/4 of the year!  Either way - they spend 3/4 of their time in the north - clear where they would rather be.

    WA - VERY high cost of living

    WY - "north" country / wild wild west

    SD - What does that state have to offer?

    AK - Complete darkness half the year

    If you get outside of your globe and set aside Texas pride (I mean you should be your own country correct??) it is easy to realize that people have different cares and values and chose to live wherever they want or where they are stuck.  Your comment about other states in the north is stupid.  Under the same logic - more people live outside of TX than inside the state = Texas sucks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.