Hi, I’m closing on a property in a few weeks, I have tried Facebook marketplace and groups with no luck in getting any qualified tenant requests. Apparently Zillow won’t let me post since the closing is still pending. Any other ways you recommend to market the property?
1. You can't sell something you don't own. How are you going to show it to prospective renters?
2. It's a couple weeks away. Most renters are looking for something they can occupy within 1-2 weeks.
I don't recommend marketing a property until you own it or a couple days before closing. This allows you to set up showings right after closing.
The most popular marketing really is market dependent. In some markets a site like apartments.com is most popular, while others get a lot of activity from Zillow or Hotpads.
My recommendation is to try and find out which sites have the most activity in your market, then try to advertise on several of them to maximize exposure. I get most of my hits from Zillow and Zumper. I get a lot of activity on facebook marketplace, but the majority of them are unqualified tire-kickers that waste my time. Craigslist is a cesspool of fraud and I haven't marketed on there for nearly ten years.
New to Real Estate · Sunnyvale CA and Maplewood, NJ · Member since 2022 · 257 posts · 161 votes
3y
"The Book on Managing Rental Properties" by Heather and Brandon Turner suggests some ways to market units: * Yard signs * Flyers * Craigslist * The local newspaper * Zillow * Referrals
Rental Property Investor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2020 · 274 posts · 111 votes
3y
@Yogesh M sayanakar
I use Zillow rental manager, they also advertise on the other sites affiliated with them, and have had great success with amount and quality of tenant leads
1. You can't sell something you don't own. How are you going to show it to prospective renters?
2. It's a couple weeks away. Most renters are looking for something they can occupy within 1-2 weeks.
I don't recommend marketing a property until you own it or a couple days before closing. This allows you to set up showings right after closing.
The most popular marketing really is market dependent. In some markets a site like apartments.com is most popular, while others get a lot of activity from Zillow or Hotpads.
My recommendation is to try and find out which sites have the most activity in your market, then try to advertise on several of them to maximize exposure. I get most of my hits from Zillow and Zumper. I get a lot of activity on facebook marketplace, but the majority of them are unqualified tire-kickers that waste my time. Craigslist is a cesspool of fraud and I haven't marketed on there for nearly ten years.
Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
@Yogesh M sayanakar- I use facebook marketplace, zillow, apartments.com, and craiglist and I receive hundreds of inquiries for properties. To your point, 90% of inquiries are from unqualified tenants, however make it a point to prescreen. You could always develop a google form asking basic pre-screening questions to see if they would pass your rental criteria prior to showing the property. Lastly, make sure to never deny a tenant an application even if you know they won't pass your criteria. That can be interpreted as discriminatory. Good luck on your closing my friend!
1) @Nathan Gesner hit the nail right on the head. One thing you could potentially do as you move towards closing, is see if the listing agent will share the property photos with you (provided they are a professional quality), do your market research, and get everything ready to list as soon as the time is right.
2) There are some free versions of tools like Turbo Tenant that make listing on multiple sites very easy.
@Yogesh M sayanakar- I use facebook marketplace, zillow, apartments.com, and craiglist and I receive hundreds of inquiries for properties. To your point, 90% of inquiries are from unqualified tenants, however make it a point to prescreen. You could always develop a google form asking basic pre-screening questions to see if they would pass your rental criteria prior to showing the property. Lastly, make sure to never deny a tenant an application even if you know they won't pass your criteria. That can be interpreted as discriminatory. Good luck on your closing my friend!
@Yogesh M sayanakar- I use facebook marketplace, zillow, apartments.com, and craiglist and I receive hundreds of inquiries for properties. To your point, 90% of inquiries are from unqualified tenants, however make it a point to prescreen. You could always develop a google form asking basic pre-screening questions to see if they would pass your rental criteria prior to showing the property. Lastly, make sure to never deny a tenant an application even if you know they won't pass your criteria. That can be interpreted as discriminatory. Good luck on your closing my friend!
1) @Nathan Gesner hit the nail right on the head. One thing you could potentially do as you move towards closing, is see if the listing agent will share the property photos with you (provided they are a professional quality), do your market research, and get everything ready to list as soon as the time is right.
2) There are some free versions of tools like Turbo Tenant that make listing on multiple sites very easy.
1. You can't sell something you don't own. How are you going to show it to prospective renters?
2. It's a couple weeks away. Most renters are looking for something they can occupy within 1-2 weeks.
I don't recommend marketing a property until you own it or a couple days before closing. This allows you to set up showings right after closing.
The most popular marketing really is market dependent. In some markets a site like apartments.com is most popular, while others get a lot of activity from Zillow or Hotpads.
My recommendation is to try and find out which sites have the most activity in your market, then try to advertise on several of them to maximize exposure. I get most of my hits from Zillow and Zumper. I get a lot of activity on facebook marketplace, but the majority of them are unqualified tire-kickers that waste my time. Craigslist is a cesspool of fraud and I haven't marketed on there for nearly ten years.
Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
What is the vacancy rate in your market? How long have you been looking? What is the market rent for the unit you are advertising vs your price? Depending on that, coupled with your screening criteria, you might be within the realm of "normal" vacancy timelines.
We don't bother with FB or CL at all, total waste of time- tire kickers and people who can't pass screening. We get 95% of our tenants from Zillow advertisements, but the most effective platforms vary by market.
What is the vacancy rate in your market? How long have you been looking? What is the market rent for the unit you are advertising vs your price? Depending on that, coupled with your screening criteria, you might be within the realm of "normal" vacancy timelines.
We don't bother with FB or CL at all, total waste of time- tire kickers and people who can't pass screening. We get 95% of our tenants from Zillow advertisements, but the most effective platforms vary by market.
Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
@Yogesh M sayanakar
I’ve used Zillow manager twice before the closing date. That way, when I got the keys at closing, I had tenants lined up to move in sight unseen or to look at it.
Hi, I’m closing on a property in a few weeks, I have tried Facebook marketplace and groups with no luck in getting any qualified tenant requests. Apparently Zillow won’t let me post since the closing is still pending. Any other ways you recommend to market the property?
thanks,
Yogesh
Sign up for a service like TenantCloud (or one of a dozen others like it) and push the property advertisement out to multiple rental websites through their syndication service.
Remember that property closing dates are often not absolute; sometimes, they get moved substantially, so be careful about promising a rental for a firm move-in date to a tenant. I represented an investor a few years ago that did this and was (self)burned when his closing date was moved back by a week or two by his lender. He was pointing the finger and mad at everyone, but the source of all his problems was best found in his bathroom mirror.
Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2021 · 584 posts · 738 votes
3y
@Nathan Gesner Ditto.
It's like the old saying... don't count your chickens before they hatch.
Over eagerness, anxiety, and haste has gotten me more bad tenants than just taking my time. And even then, a few bad tenants slip through.
In the past, I have used Apartmentm.com and it was amazing. But in the last 2 years, Zillow seems to be a better bet. However, your market will dictate which platform is best.