Professional · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 69 posts · 29 votes
Ok, now I'm freaked out. I was just about to post my ad on Craigslist to hire a sign poster for our bandit signs (already ordered) and I thought I would look up the sign ordinances in our area to double check what the fines, etc. might be. One of the cities mentions imprisonment. Have any of you seen the same in an ordinance, have you ever been threatened with jail time, how did you handle this issue??
Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
13y
One problem with BP is people talk in as if there is no difference between locations across the U.S. So the person from California is telling the person from Louisiana what they think is best. That's one thing I'd advise new members to be careful about - i.e., give more weight to people in your same area or to people that do marketing nationally. Those outside your areas are just sharing opinions in most cases.
Why do I say all that? Because I know people in certain markets in the U.S. - such as Louisiana, Georgia, and Florida - that are scoring big time with bandit signs. And they put them out on the weekends and pick them back up. Our signs are professionally designed and produced/printed. I myself don't use them because of strict city ordinances in my market, but in other places, they can be used.
Don't like them? Don't want to use them? Think they are a waste? That's great - respect your opinion. But if you think they are unproductive just because you don't like them, I'd challenge that with real results that I see other people getting with them in certain markets.
Professional · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 69 posts · 29 votes
13y
I would have thought Santa Cruz would be really anti-bandit sign, but I saw the same bandit sign every day for like 6 months right in the middle of town. We just moved to CO, so whole different area now.
Yes, bandit signs work. But there are almost always illegal. Don't be a badly behaved investor that breaks the law for your profit and gives the rest of us an even worse reputation.
Bravo! Anyone who can't make money legally does not have a good business plan. I started my consulting company with enough money for business cards, letterhead, a FAX machine, and a few hand tools, but was never desperate from day one, turning down anything no on the up and up or in an unsafe location.
Real Estate Investor · Lancaster, TX · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
11y
I know @Dev Horn will push back and say its no big deal and I shouldn't compare bandit signs to drug dealing. But breaking the law is breaking the law.
So is driving 5mph over the limit or rolling stop signs. So i guess next time I'm driving down the interstate, all the legit real estate investors will all be in the left lane, driving the limit and properly using their turn signals! Hands at 10 and 2! LOL
Real Estate Investor · Murfreesboro, TN · Member since 2010 · 53 posts · 22 votes
11y
I am probably going to catch some hell on this post but so be it.
If the signs are good enough from the politicians and judges that exempt themselves from their own sign ordinance, they are good enough for me.
For about 2 strong years bandit signs were my primary form of marketing. In that time I put out around 6,000 signs to pick up sub2 wraps. The leads are generally more motivated than direct mail, at least in my market. They are not always high equity leads, and you will need a different business model than wholesaling or fix and flip to utilize the leads fully.
About 6 months ago, I got cited by a city for my signs. It was either a 3k fine or 20 hours of community service. I do community service anyway so I took the service. Keep in mind, I always kept my signs out and let the city pull them if they didn't like them. I now recommend pulling them every Monday morning before work hours.
I have never heard of anyone going to jail for bandit signs, and don't think it would happen.
As far as legality is concerned...there are a lot of legal things that are immoral, and a lot of moral things that are illegal. I just don't deal well with the basic premise of "I can do it but you can't" that the local politicians and judges here prescribe to.
Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
Those local politicians and judges do not leave campaign signs up year round. Signs for a few weeks before an election are not nearly as much of a burden on the community. And I say that as someone who lives in New Hampshire. I guarantee you you have never seen campaign signs in Tennessee like we see here during the New Hampshire primaries.
When I see them and have time, I pull up bandit signs and toss them in my dumpster.
Maybe you could pull up all the political signs and put your ad on the back. Who would they fine then?
I realize that this wasn't a serious question, but in New Hampshire removing legally-posted political campaign signs is theft, and people have been arrested for it. Removing bandit signs is not theft.
I'll just keep pulling up the bandit signs and tossing them in the dumpster. I got a couple of good ones last week. Quality printing job on that sort of plasticized corrugated material? Looked like they cost the guy a lot.
Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 42 posts · 13 votes
11y
My family lives in Louisiana & the sheriff came out to a neighbor's house to warn her about her garage sale signs. They are illegal & she could have been ticketed. Same with all the other random signs on public property. You might see if a business will allow you to put a sign on their property for a small fee. Consider it an investment cost. If it's a business at a busy location, it might be worth paying a small amount for the convenience. Also some people put signs in the back window of their vehicles. You never know who sees it if you're parked somewhere or driving around. I wouldn't chance wasting money by putting my signs out illegally & having them confiscated or getting a ticket.
Maybe you could pull up all the political signs and put your ad on the back. Who would they fine then?
I realize that this wasn't a serious question, but in New Hampshire removing legally-posted political campaign signs is theft, and people have been arrested for it. Removing bandit signs is not theft.
I'll just keep pulling up the bandit signs and tossing them in the dumpster. I got a couple of good ones last week. Quality printing job on that sort of plasticized corrugated material? Looked like they cost the guy a lot.
I am sure that investor appreciated it. As you are spending your work hours taking a small minority of his signs down, he is fielding calls and buying houses. Seems like a win/win to me.
Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
LOL, yeah, these guys are real players in the local real estate scene. Real big shots!
I also pick up windblown newspapers, cans and bottles, etc. Other trash, besides the signs. Part of keeping the neighborhood tidy.
There is some poster on here who pays local kids a $1 a sign bounty. I may go that route this summer, just to help protect the vulnerable members of my community from the unscrupulous.
Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
I have noticed lately that these bandit signs are being vandalized across the Denver metro area. There is a funny post on reddit about it. I personally take them down in my neighborhood as they look tacky.
Our market is en fuego and more and more people are finally figuring it out. Investor deals are getting harder and harder to find, and I think it takes more than some signs to find them.
edit. just saw that this post is over a year old...
Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y
OK, I've had this idea for a while, but the conversation above is just BEGGING ME to share this at it combines the BANDIT SIGN idea with the I PICK UP SIGNS & TRASH idea:
Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 0 votes
11y
hey Amanda... I agree... you don't want to break the law but I think about it like this... calculated risk.... Jay walking is illegal but everything should be looked at subjectively... I have been doing RE for 10 yrs and I live in AZ and I put out 5000 a year bcuz they work... I have funds set aside to cover any fines as view it as the cost of doing business... a lot of big players in my market put out double of what I do bcuz they are getting a solid return or they would invest in this form of marketing... I have been threaten to be fined lots of time and never once been fined before.... however I do put a lot of my signs in rough areas as the cops don't care if ppl in those neighborhoods kill each other let alone if a sign is up on a major cross street intersection.... there mini billboards for a fraction of the cost but its usually only stays up for a fraction of the time as well.... I had 3 sellers deals from one sign that styled up I'm the hood for 8 months.... #CalculatedRisk.... U got 2 shoot 2 miss
I have noticed lately that these bandit signs are being vandalized across the Denver metro area.
Sign Sharks - read their website, it's hilarious reading, they really think highly of themselves, they post their 'victories' describing their last sign cutting outings and they all cyber high five each other.