5 months using RentRedi and I HATE it

5 months using RentRedi and I HATE it

Roanoke VA · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 28 votes

I switched from Quickbooks to RentRedi 5 months ago because the payment processing fee cost me $400 a month with Quickbooks. RentRedi claims to be a system built by landlords for landlords and I have to disagree. The number one problem with RentRedi is the total lack of customer support and yes with Intuit you will have to talk to an oversees call center but every question I needed help with got answered and all problems got resolved. With RentRedi you are reduced to talking to a "BOT" until an agent decides they want to chime in (still only on a chat window no phone numbers for RentRedit). Today was the final straw for me as I have come to realize you can not get a transaction report that shows a breakdown of deposits so I can show proof of rents received to my lenders. Appfolio is more expensive but after saving money for these past 5 months I have determined RentRedi could be free and I would pass. 

18Reply
676 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 408 posts · 408 votes
2y

I’ve had rental properties for over 22 years. Granted we only have 17 but still, I’ve never used anything except a simple excel spreadsheet and all my rental properties have a separate savings account under my main account at my local bank. They don’t charge anything for these extra accounts, my tenants pay directly into those accounts. I’ve never had a problem with a lender when I showed them the deposit that was made into that account. People are making this way too complicated. 

See this reply in the discussion

56 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Matthew MorrowBusiness Member
    Investor · PA - NY - NJ · Member since 2019 · 458 posts · 168 votes
    2y

    Your decision to prioritize effective support and comprehensive features, even if it means higher costs, seems reasonable, especially when it's critical for your business operations. Exploring other options like Appfolio or Apartments.com which might offer the balance of support and functionality you need, is a sensible approach. It's important to have a system that not only saves costs but also meets all your operational needs effectively.

    CORE Team | Realty ONE Group Supreme547 Reviews
  • Nathan MillerPro Member
    Property Manager · Grants Pass, OR · Member since 2009 · 429 posts · 201 votes
    2y

    @Edward Toomey V It's unfortunate you had that experience with a software purposed for landlords; however, I'd hate for you to give up on software designed to work for landlords and ditch to QB.  QB really is not made well for landlords and landlords leave QB every day for better software, payment processing is really expensive, and with QB there's no tenant portal for your tenants to schedule payments or push maintenance requests.  Short story, landlords tend to run away from QB, not towards it.

    You might give other software designed for landlords a try before moving back to QB.  Also, SAAS platforms are supposed to include support and service (that's the last S), but the quality varies greatly from company to company.  There is some really great landlord software out there that also provide really great support.

  • Todd CrippenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 49 votes
    2y

    @Edward Toomey V I feel like this is a frustration for us all in the property management game. Firstly, do you manage your own property or do manage mix of your own plus clients' property? Secondly, how many doors are you managing? I ask this because Buildium, also a RealPage company, can actually be more affordable depending on the door count and whether you manage on behalf of others.

    Buildium, like Appfolio, has different tiers of membership. Our company uses the growth plan. Though Buildium has its limitations, its financial tracking is quite robust. You are also able to send client disbursements directly through the platform with their Forte transaction processing partnership. This plan also offers many integrations (at an additional cost) depending on what your needs may be. They also have a support ticket system and customer support contact number that sends you directly to a human being. Most of the time they are quite knowledgable. They track management income, expenses, vendor payments, etc. I am sure Appfolio has similar features, but the pricing structure is dependent on your needs and door count. The reason I mention Buildium is because their Growth plan can be more affordable than the second tier of Appfolio that you need to pay for to get access to the integrations. I just thought I would share and I hope you have a great holiday season and New Year in 2024!

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 234 posts · 144 votes
    2y

    Sorry, you're going through that Edward. Hopefully, you're able to find something that works in your favor. 

  • Accountant · Dunbar, WV · Member since 2021 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    Truthfully, I loved QB, but I am an accountant by trade. A little more entry but so flexible for accounting. I left QBs because the buildium sales rep convinced me that Buildium would handle all the accounting and the property management. The payments and receipts are good with buildium by dady to day accounting if you want a true financial statement kind of sucks and very klunky at best. I have been able to do work arounds for about everything but it sure would help if Buildium would just be a little more flexible and let you created journal entries to different properties much like checking writing allows you to do. I went through several softwares and really do not want to put my tenants through another change just yet. The auto pay does work really well and i have all but one of them using it. So for now Im staying but will be looking at something else in the near future. 

  • Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
    2y

    Hi there, I would urge you to check out RentVine! It is a game changer!

    RentWerx Property Management4.73296 Reviews
  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Edward Toomey V:

    I switched from Quickbooks to RentRedi 5 months ago because the payment processing fee cost me $400 a month with Quickbooks. RentRedi claims to be a system built by landlords for landlords and I have to disagree. The number one problem with RentRedi is the total lack of customer support and yes with Intuit you will have to talk to an oversees call center but every question I needed help with got answered and all problems got resolved. With RentRedi you are reduced to talking to a "BOT" until an agent decides they want to chime in (still only on a chat window no phone numbers for RentRedit). Today was the final straw for me as I have come to realize you can not get a transaction report that shows a breakdown of deposits so I can show proof of rents received to my lenders. Appfolio is more expensive but after saving money for these past 5 months I have determined RentRedi could be free and I would pass. 

    Wow, sorry to hear that. Thanks for sharing your experience.

  • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 408 posts · 408 votes
    2y

    I’ve had rental properties for over 22 years. Granted we only have 17 but still, I’ve never used anything except a simple excel spreadsheet and all my rental properties have a separate savings account under my main account at my local bank. They don’t charge anything for these extra accounts, my tenants pay directly into those accounts. I’ve never had a problem with a lender when I showed them the deposit that was made into that account. People are making this way too complicated. 

  • Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 47 votes
    2y

    I’ve heard good things about Doorloop. Haven’t used it personally but a good friend of mine who self manages around 20 doors uses it and swears by it. 

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    Try Buildium

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Crystal DudleyPro Member
    Rio Vista, TX · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Edward Toomey V:

    I switched from Quickbooks to RentRedi 5 months ago because the payment processing fee cost me $400 a month with Quickbooks. RentRedi claims to be a system built by landlords for landlords and I have to disagree. The number one problem with RentRedi is the total lack of customer support and yes with Intuit you will have to talk to an oversees call center but every question I needed help with got answered and all problems got resolved. With RentRedi you are reduced to talking to a "BOT" until an agent decides they want to chime in (still only on a chat window no phone numbers for RentRedit). Today was the final straw for me as I have come to realize you can not get a transaction report that shows a breakdown of deposits so I can show proof of rents received to my lenders. Appfolio is more expensive but after saving money for these past 5 months I have determined RentRedi could be free and I would pass. 


     I have used RentecDirect for a few years and it has not failed me. I manage my own and others and RD works well for me.

  • Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    2y

    Hi Edward, 

    I’m the Head of Support here at RentRedi. I’m so sorry to hear about the support experience you’ve had, I would love the oppertunity to personally help you have a fantastic experience with RentRedi. I tried giving you a call and got your voicemail (inbox full) but I will try you again tomorrow. Please know that I will do everything in my power to help you and turn your experience around.

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tyson Jones:

    Hi Edward, 

    I’m the Head of Support here at RentRedi. I’m so sorry to hear about the support experience you’ve had, I would love the oppertunity to personally help you have a fantastic experience with RentRedi. I tried giving you a call and got your voicemail (inbox full) but I will try you again tomorrow. Please know that I will do everything in my power to help you and turn your experience around.

    Hi Tyson,
    Thank you for chiming in since I use Rent Redi. I am a new user to Rent Redi though and would love to be able to pull the same reports as Edward. How do you pull annual reports in Rent Redi?


  • Roanoke VA · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 28 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Margie Butts:
    Quote from @Tyson Jones:

    Hi Edward, 

    I’m the Head of Support here at RentRedi. I’m so sorry to hear about the support experience you’ve had, I would love the oppertunity to personally help you have a fantastic experience with RentRedi. I tried giving you a call and got your voicemail (inbox full) but I will try you again tomorrow. Please know that I will do everything in my power to help you and turn your experience around.

    Hi Tyson,
    Thank you for chiming in since I use Rent Redi. I am a new user to Rent Redi though and would love to be able to pull the same reports as Edward. How do you pull annual reports in Rent Redi?



     Hey Margie

    Did Tyson ever respond to your question? I did get a call from someone at RentRedi but it was the Friday after Thanksgiving and I was not working that day. I asked the caller to call back Monday and nobody ever did. I am interested to know if they ever got back to you? 

  • Member since 2023 · 103 posts · 19 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Edward Toomey V:

    I switched from Quickbooks to RentRedi 5 months ago because the payment processing fee cost me $400 a month with Quickbooks. RentRedi claims to be a system built by landlords for landlords and I have to disagree. The number one problem with RentRedi is the total lack of customer support and yes with Intuit you will have to talk to an oversees call center but every question I needed help with got answered and all problems got resolved. With RentRedi you are reduced to talking to a "BOT" until an agent decides they want to chime in (still only on a chat window no phone numbers for RentRedit). Today was the final straw for me as I have come to realize you can not get a transaction report that shows a breakdown of deposits so I can show proof of rents received to my lenders. Appfolio is more expensive but after saving money for these past 5 months I have determined RentRedi could be free and I would pass. 

    I was using Quickbooks and left after checking out both rentredi and Digb. I choose Digb specifically to avoid some of the issues you mentioned. Also, they support with tax filing.
  • Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Margie Butts:
    Thank you for chiming in since I use Rent Redi. I am a new user to Rent Redi though and would love to be able to pull the same reports as Edward. How do you pull annual reports in Rent Redi?

     Hi Margie, 

    Yes you can absolutely export your deposit and transaction history. Here's an article on that. If you have any specific questions, our support team is happy to help. 

  • Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    2y

     Hi Edward, 

    I was the one who called the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I called and left a voicemail on Monday, tried again Tuesday, and once more Today. I am going direct to voicemail with the number I have on file. I sent an email just a bit ago, feel free to respond to that with your preferred phone number and times that work for you and I'd be happy to connect. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Savannah, GA · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Edward Toomey V:

    I switched from Quickbooks to RentRedi 5 months ago because the payment processing fee cost me $400 a month with Quickbooks. RentRedi claims to be a system built by landlords for landlords and I have to disagree. The number one problem with RentRedi is the total lack of customer support and yes with Intuit you will have to talk to an oversees call center but every question I needed help with got answered and all problems got resolved. With RentRedi you are reduced to talking to a "BOT" until an agent decides they want to chime in (still only on a chat window no phone numbers for RentRedit). Today was the final straw for me as I have come to realize you can not get a transaction report that shows a breakdown of deposits so I can show proof of rents received to my lenders. Appfolio is more expensive but after saving money for these past 5 months I have determined RentRedi could be free and I would pass. 


     RentRedi has some flaws for sure. I use it to manage my portfolio. Had several challenges with their bookkeeping after I had to make an adjustment to one of my monthly payments. I keep hearing great things about Tenant Cloud. Might be looking into that here soon.  

  • Roanoke VA · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 28 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tyson Jones:

     Hi Edward, 

    I was the one who called the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I called and left a voicemail on Monday, tried again Tuesday, and once more Today. I am going direct to voicemail with the number I have on file. I sent an email just a bit ago, feel free to respond to that with your preferred phone number and times that work for you and I'd be happy to connect. 


     Tyson 

    I am not sure why you can not get through now, but I did respond to your email. In short after researching Appfolio and DoorLoop I have decided to go with DoorLoop. The number one reason I have decided to leave RentRedi is the lack of customer service. I know it is 2023 and their are some people that hate using the phone and prefer the chat box, but I am not one of them. I will openly admit I did no research into RentRedi or any property management software when I decided to leave Quickbooks I just saw a RentRedi add that showed the Biggerpockets team raving about the software and being a Biggerpockets fan I jumped right in. I will also admit at this point we are comparing apples to light bulbs since RentRedi was only costing me $59 per month and DoorLoop will cost $200+ per month and for those that have a lower unit count and only need basic services the RentRedi cost should outweigh the beta tech. I do not believe I am RentRedi's target consumer as I have more needs than others and that has been true for other business relationships I tried to build in my time, but I hate when things have to end on sour notes and the fact that it took publicly criticizing the service to get attention is more than disappointing on RentRedi's part as a service business.

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Edward Toomey V:
    Quote from @Margie Butts:
    Quote from @Tyson Jones:

    Hi Edward, 

    I’m the Head of Support here at RentRedi. I’m so sorry to hear about the support experience you’ve had, I would love the oppertunity to personally help you have a fantastic experience with RentRedi. I tried giving you a call and got your voicemail (inbox full) but I will try you again tomorrow. Please know that I will do everything in my power to help you and turn your experience around.

    Hi Tyson,
    Thank you for chiming in since I use Rent Redi. I am a new user to Rent Redi though and would love to be able to pull the same reports as Edward. How do you pull annual reports in Rent Redi?



     Hey Margie

    Did Tyson ever respond to your question? I did get a call from someone at RentRedi but it was the Friday after Thanksgiving and I was not working that day. I asked the caller to call back Monday and nobody ever did. I am interested to know if they ever got back to you? 


     Yes, and I got a detailed report on how to pull deposits. I am a smaller landlord so I will keep plugging along with Rent Redi for now since the price is right for me and so far so good. 

  • Member since 2023 · 103 posts · 19 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Edward Toomey V:
    Quote from @Tyson Jones:

     Hi Edward, 

    I was the one who called the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I called and left a voicemail on Monday, tried again Tuesday, and once more Today. I am going direct to voicemail with the number I have on file. I sent an email just a bit ago, feel free to respond to that with your preferred phone number and times that work for you and I'd be happy to connect. 


     Tyson 

    I am not sure why you can not get through now, but I did respond to your email. In short after researching Appfolio and DoorLoop I have decided to go with DoorLoop. The number one reason I have decided to leave RentRedi is the lack of customer service. I know it is 2023 and their are some people that hate using the phone and prefer the chat box, but I am not one of them. I will openly admit I did no research into RentRedi or any property management software when I decided to leave Quickbooks I just saw a RentRedi add that showed the Biggerpockets team raving about the software and being a Biggerpockets fan I jumped right in. I will also admit at this point we are comparing apples to light bulbs since RentRedi was only costing me $59 per month and DoorLoop will cost $200+ per month and for those that have a lower unit count and only need basic services the RentRedi cost should outweigh the beta tech. I do not believe I am RentRedi's target consumer as I have more needs than others and that has been true for other business relationships I tried to build in my time, but I hate when things have to end on sour notes and the fact that it took publicly criticizing the service to get attention is more than disappointing on RentRedi's part as a service business.

    Thanks for sharing @Edward Toomey V
    Sounds like this was a painful experience with RentRedi

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Just another data point that RentRedi isn't ready for prime time.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Livonia, NY · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    I’ve had rental properties for over 22 years. Granted we only have 17 but still, I’ve never used anything except a simple excel spreadsheet and all my rental properties have a separate savings account under my main account at my local bank. They don’t charge anything for these extra accounts, my tenants pay directly into those accounts. I’ve never had a problem with a lender when I showed them the deposit that was made into that account. People are making this way too complicated. 


     would you mind sharing your spreadsheet template?

  • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 408 posts · 408 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

     would you mind sharing your spreadsheet template?

    It's very simple, here is the header for one sheet:

    # Of Rentals

    Address

    Date Bought

    Year Roof was put on

    Cost of Property

    Value of Property 2017

    Value of Property 2021

    Tax

    Insurance

    Mortgage

    Maint/HOA

    AC Filters

    Rent Per Month

    Then I have another sheet to keep track of any expenses for the year:

    # Of Rentals

    Address

    City

    Jan

    Feb

    Mar

    Apr

    May

    Everything is very organized on these two sheets for the CPA every January. Simple but effective and FREE....
  • Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2016 · 138 posts · 40 votes
    2y

    I have been using them for about 2 years.  I just keep waiting for a UX/UI upgrade they say is coming.  It's been extremely underwhelming, not that costly but it's pretty bad.  None of those "notifications" they say they'll send every make it to my phone because it's not really an app, it's just a website as an app.  I'm looking for alternatives, I liked LandlordStudio actually but I hate the name, seems so impersonal to the tenants and not in their favor.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.