What Are Your Views on Appliance Protection Plans

What Are Your Views on Appliance Protection Plans

Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 7 votes

Hey everyone!

We had to buy a new fridge for our rental property, which cost about $1000. I'm wondering if we should get the Lowe's 3-year protection plan with it. It costs $150 and they deal with maintenance issue. Do you think it's worth it? Seems like not a lot could go wrong with a fridge in 3 years, but maybe I'm wrong. 

If there's other appliance protection that's better/cheaper, I'm interested in hearing the options as well.

0Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
2y

Appliance warranties are almost a bad deal and that one Seems too expensive. You’re buying a 1 or 2 year warranty for $150? (It comes with 1-2 years and many credit cards double it for free.)

The ONLY time I buy appliance extended warranties is when buying clearance items. 

At RC Willey they discount clearance items about 20-25%. Then they will sell you a 5 year warranty for 10% of the discounted rate. In your case that would mean buying a $1,250 refrigerator for $1,000 and then getting a 5 year warranty for $100. Even then it’s probably a bad deal. But they cover everything. No service call or labor charges. I figure it will cost me $75-$100 just to have someone come out. 

On 40+ appliances I think they’ve come out twice. But I’ve also had to replace entire refrigerators because the ice maker cost $600 plus $250 in labor to repair/replace. It’s nice having a guy come out that doesn’t mind throwing new parts at a problem until it works. :-)

TLDR: if you want to feel good get a 5 year warranty for 10% of the price after you save more than that in the purchase. It’s still a money losing deal but not as bad. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y

    The reason they sell those insurance plans is because they make a lot of money off of them.

    If a $1,000 unexpected expense will cause a problem for you, it may make sense to have that insurance. If you have multiple properties, you would pay more in the long-run buying insurance ever time.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    Appliance warranties are almost a bad deal and that one Seems too expensive. You’re buying a 1 or 2 year warranty for $150? (It comes with 1-2 years and many credit cards double it for free.)

    The ONLY time I buy appliance extended warranties is when buying clearance items. 

    At RC Willey they discount clearance items about 20-25%. Then they will sell you a 5 year warranty for 10% of the discounted rate. In your case that would mean buying a $1,250 refrigerator for $1,000 and then getting a 5 year warranty for $100. Even then it’s probably a bad deal. But they cover everything. No service call or labor charges. I figure it will cost me $75-$100 just to have someone come out. 

    On 40+ appliances I think they’ve come out twice. But I’ve also had to replace entire refrigerators because the ice maker cost $600 plus $250 in labor to repair/replace. It’s nice having a guy come out that doesn’t mind throwing new parts at a problem until it works. :-)

    TLDR: if you want to feel good get a 5 year warranty for 10% of the price after you save more than that in the purchase. It’s still a money losing deal but not as bad. 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    @Marty Rogachefsky

    I find them not to be useful honestly

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y

    Every warranty is a sham. They know most owners will never use it. Heck, many will forget they even have it! The stores make a ton of money selling the upgrade. The same is true for home warranties.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    You could choose to have an extra refrigerator on hand.

    Then when your renter calls and says the refrigerator is bad, swap it out and take the old one home. 

    Then have the service person come and fix it while you have it. Then your renters groceries are less at risk of spoiling.

    If you offer air conditioning to your renters. You could also have a window AC unit on hand, that you can place in the unit until the AC Tech gets the main air conditioning system repaired.

    Also, offering renters an ice maker in the refrigerator is simply asking for extra repair calls when there are problems with it - which many over the years will have.

    To me this is simple customer service, and how I would want to be treated if I were a renter.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Ice maker parts.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 384 posts · 197 votes
    2y

    I never purchase any appliance protection plans, I personally feel like they're not worth it.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Scott Mac  extra fridge is only good if you have a couple guys to move refrigerators around on demand. now an AC ok I get that. 

    @Marty Rogachefsky we never get extended warranty because you also need the unit fixed in a timely way and the warranty service may not be timely.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.