How often does your Property Manager suggest/advise income opportunities?

How often does your Property Manager suggest/advise income opportunities?

Member since 2024 · 29 posts · 18 votes

Hey Team, 

First post here, so I really appreciate the patience! 

I'm curious to know how often property managers actively suggest value-add activities for properties (ie, building an ADU, remodeling, buy-fix-hold opportunities etc etc).

Any feedback here would be super helpful! 


Cheers,

Marshall

1Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Peter MckernanBusiness Member
Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

I would say that 95% of PMs will not talk about adding value to properties are adding more to your bottomline/top line. These are people that are property managers not asset managers. Asset manager role would be to give advice on property that could be value added and increase the income on a property by small or big tweaks. It's like a syndication operator verse a money manager. These people are built to value add deals, you would have to look hard for these people in your market and probably pay them top end pricing to get your properties performing amazingly well! 

The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marshall Robins:

    Interesting question. I've been managing for 15 years and have helped a couple owners change/expand their portfolio. One of my clients has added about 50 doors through me. However, I haven't been deliberate or proactive.

    That's all changing today! I now monitor the owner's equity, return on investment, and other factors and then proactively reach out when they are ripe for selling, exchanging, or adding doors.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I would say that 95% of PMs will not talk about adding value to properties are adding more to your bottomline/top line. These are people that are property managers not asset managers. Asset manager role would be to give advice on property that could be value added and increase the income on a property by small or big tweaks. It's like a syndication operator verse a money manager. These people are built to value add deals, you would have to look hard for these people in your market and probably pay them top end pricing to get your properties performing amazingly well! 

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
  • Member since 2024 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    1y

     Happy to hear you're leaning into a more proactive role - with a single portfolio that large I'd imagine your insight will be appreciated. 

  • Member since 2024 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    1y
    Thank you Peter - I certainly understand the difference, and I'm seeing the same in my area as well. I'm happy to hear my experience isn't unique! 

    I would have to imagine folks who are competent enough to represent this type of value-add are typically focusing on larger opportunities than small to mid-size SFR portfolios. 
  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    One of the best times to implement value add is when there is turnover so that is typically when the owners hear from us. We often give owners advice before the turnover letting them know that if we turned over the tenant, how we could improve the property, at what cost, and what the rents would improve to. We only do this when we see opportunity, not when the property is already maxed out.

  • Member since 2024 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    1y
    Adam - Thank you for the thoughtful response and my follow up would be to ask when you would consider a property "maxed out". In other words, how aggressive are you in recommending things like:

    "Hey mr./mrs. Property Owner, you have an extra 1000 square feet with enough setback to add a 500 sqft ADU on this lot. I would recommend increasing revenue density this way, etc etc." 

    The question behind the question is that I'm trying to figure out how to communicate with property owners that have under-utilized assets. So how do I socialize the benefit of doing something like taking a 200k ADU construction loan to add $X in top line and $Y after servicing the new note, but with an increased property value etc etc? 

    Any guidance here would be amazing - thank you so much! 
  • Property Manager · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2024 · 60 posts · 39 votes
    1y

    Good question to ask when screening a PM is if they are real estate investors themselves.

    If you want a PM to be proactive or knowledgeable on where/when to add value (asset management assistance), find one that is an investor. Then ask them specifically if they help with this sort of thing.

    Oftentimes owners of businesses want their employees to "think like an owner." That's a common phrase.

    Real estate investors can get more bang for their buck from their PMs when these folks "think like an investor."

  • John WilliamsBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2018 · 443 posts · 210 votes
    1y

    I invite my clients to meet with me at quarterly to discuss their investment goals and strategies to grow their portfolios. 

    Rent My Home - Property Management4.8207 Reviews
  • Peter TverdovBusiness Member
    Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    I email our entire portfolio each year and offer to know what their goals are and how we can get them there. I work with a handful of clients each year on the acquisition and construction side and help them make an enormous amount of wealth on top of managing their properties here in NJ. 

    If you treat your PM like a company that just unclogs a toilet then you're really short changing yourself. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.