Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 6 votes
Hi everyone,
I got a property manager to run my LTR for the past 1.5 years due to things happening in my personal life. Now that things are settled, I am planning to transition back to self-management. Nothing against the property manager. Not bad but not notably amazing.
For those of you who have broken up with a property manager, what was the process like between termination of services and handover of the tenants/tenant information back to you? Is there anything you wish you knew or prepared for in advance? Any Massachusetts-specific experience/advice would be appreciated, too.
Accountant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2025 · 301 posts · 95 votes
8h
@Vivian Hsieh The handoff should be pretty manageable as long as you plan it carefully. Start by checking your management agreement for notice requirements, termination fees, and deadlines for transferring records and funds. Ask for the lease, payment ledger, security-deposit records, inspection and maintenance history, keys, open work orders, and tenant communications. Reconcile all money before the final statement, then give tenants clear written instructions for rent payments and maintenance requests. Massachusetts has strict rules for security deposits and last month’s rent, so confirm exactly where those funds are held and that all required records, interest, and receipts are complete. A written checklist and firm transition date will make the process much smoother.
Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6h
Check current rental term dates, and immediately instruct PM not to fill or market. Perform your own screening on existing tenants before renewing if they will be staying. You also need to inspect the unit if you have not recently, checking all areas for signs of water intrusion, pests, unreported damage or inoperable elements, and housekeeping issues before deciding to renew, and at what rate. Verify that outgoing PM has this tenant's move in conditions documented and photographed, and get copies. You will not be able to get copies of tenants rental application. Also be sure the Security deposit is transferred in full to you, and verify the amount with the tenant.
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1h
Vivian, the biggest thing I’d focus on is making the transition a documented handoff rather than simply ending the management agreement. Before the PM relationship ends, I’d want copies of the current leases, tenant contact information, payment history, security-deposit records, inspection reports, maintenance history, warranties, vendor contacts, insurance information, utility accounts, keys/access codes, and any open maintenance issues. I’d also make sure you understand exactly when the PM stops collecting rent and handling tenant communication.
I’d review the management agreement carefully for the notice period, termination requirements, final accounting, and any outstanding management or maintenance fees. For Massachusetts specifically, I’d also make sure the security-deposit records and tenant notices are handled correctly rather than assuming the PM can simply transfer everything over.
The first month after taking over is usually when the gaps show up, so I’d build a simple recurring system for rent collection, inspections, maintenance, renewals, insurance, taxes, and document storage before the handoff happens. The good news is that if the property manager has been doing a decent job, you should be able to make the transition pretty cleanly if you get the information before the relationship ends.
Feel free to DM me, I’d be happy to share our Real Estate Portfolio Management Tool and a few resources that may help with the transition.