What is BPCON and should I go?

What is BPCON and should I go?

Ashley KehrPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 206 posts · 185 votes

I recently did a poll on the Real Estate Rookie Youtube channel asking if people were going to BPCON this year. A lot of yes responses but also quite a few responses to the selection "what is BPCON?" So, I thought I would start this discussion to answer questions you may have if you have no idea what BPCON is or you just have questions in general if it is a good fit for you! Let me know your questions! 

Also, If you didn't buy your ticket yet and need a discount code send me a message!

5Reply
301 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Ashley Kehr:

    I recently did a poll on the Real Estate Rookie Youtube channel asking if people were going to BPCON this year. A lot of yes responses but also quite a few responses to the selection "what is BPCON?" So, I thought I would start this discussion to answer questions you may have if you have no idea what BPCON is or you just have questions in general if it is a good fit for you! Let me know your questions! 

    Also, If you didn't buy your ticket yet and need a discount code send me a message!


     I think the reason for this thread is BPCon ticket sales are lagging.

    - the RE investor market is much more challenging than a few years ago.

    - the sentiment on the economy is depressed.

    - when the Orlando location was announced at the last BPCon it was by far the worst received BPCon location announcement that I have heard.  There has been 2 BPCon since the last Orlando BPCon.   It was my least favorite BPCon but ironically the reason may not be applicable this time.   The crowds were too big and it consequently felt like we were herded.  I would have much preferred the 2020 cancelled New Orleans location or a dozen other locations (Chicago, Honolulu, seattle, Portland OR, Atlanta, Boston, Columbus, St. Louis, Miami, Nashville, Austin, etc).  I recognize locations are chosen years in advance but BP knew it recently had a BPCon in Orlando.

    Now for the reasons for going:

    - it is very motivating.   The excitement is great.  I have never returned from a BPCon more motivated.   
    - networking: lots of opportunities to network.   One beneficial connection is easily worth the cost.   If you are good at networking(not my strength) you can walk away with quite a few beneficial connections.
    - presentations: there are some that virtually everyone can take something away from.   They cover a broad range of topics but similar to this site the emphasis is on residential RE.

    - exhibit hall have vendors on near everything related to RE.  Last year there were too many lenders but most years the mix is good.   Lenders, insurance, PMS providers, turn key providers, market search tools, RE specific asset management tools, landlord locks, pad split, etc.   

    I highly recommend going especially if you have not gone before.  The last Orlando BPCon had universal studio exclusive access. I got zero networking done, but I got in dozens of Harry Potter rides.  I enjoyed it way more than last year’s bar party (that provided a slightly better networking opportunity).  Not sure if universal studios is the event this year, but I hope so.

    Best wishes

    • Ashley KehrPro Member
      OP
      Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 206 posts · 185 votes
      1mo

      @Dan H. Thanks so much for the reply! I honestly have no idea what sales are since I'm privy to that information or a part of that with BP. I'm just a host! I do agree that overall less people are interested in investing in real estate now that the hype of low rates and other market conditions are over. It's not as easy to make money which deters a lot of people. But if you're willing to put the work in there are still deals out there. I'm also a small time investor so I can't speak to large deals and running a full time operation. On a small scale it's still working as an investment option. 

      As far as the thought process behind BP for Orlando I'm not involved in that either so unfortunately I can't speak to that. I do know that this year is on a weekend because so many people asked for it. Which it has usually been during the week. I have to say my favorite BPCON was in New Orleans and probably my least favorite too. I think it was so spread out between the two hotels too that made it difficult to connect even with so many people there. I felt like I was constantly running around. 1000% the universal private access was amazing if you like rides but that was a big complaint that you can't network. I think I ran from ride to ride to get in as many as I could haha. This year is just one hotel at the location so hopefully will be better. I do think less tickets are being sold so that should help with crowds. 

      I love all of your insight for the pros going! These are very helpful for someone to consider going. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Hopefully see you at BPCON! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.