Question for anyone watching foreclosure auctions closely:

Question for anyone watching foreclosure auctions closely:

Specialist · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 6 votes

I am a lead manager for a couple of real estate investment companies. Both companies purchase foreclosure properties, so I spend a lot of time looking at foreclosure data, auction results, opening bids, balances, and post-auction opportunities.

A trend I am noticing that feels pretty new for our regions is banks drastically discounting the amount at auction.

It has happened in the past, but within the last few months we are seeing a pretty noticeable increase. In some cases, the amount owed is much higher than the opening bid or final auction amount. It is happening enough that I have a team member pulling a full-year analysis so I can prove to myself that I am not imagining it.

Is anyone else seeing this trend?

And for those of you who understand the bank/lender side better than I do, what do you think is causing it?

My working theory is that some lenders may be trying to avoid taking back more REO inventory, especially on properties where the asset may need work, has title/occupancy issues, or does not fit cleanly into their resale process. Instead of bidding close to the full debt and ending up with the property, they may be discounting the opening bid to encourage a third-party buyer at auction and move the asset off their books faster.

I am also wondering if this could be tied to internal risk, servicing pressure, carrying costs, insurance, taxes, property condition, or a general shift in how certain lenders are handling distressed assets.

I am not saying this is definitely what is happening — it is just the theory I keep coming back to based on what we are seeing.

Curious if anyone else is seeing the same thing in their market, and if so, what explanation makes the most sense to you?

2Reply
188 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
2mo

its the indication of price compression on the values compared to when they made the loan.

Also keep in mind if there is mortgage insurance banks will bid higher if no mortgage insurance and they do not want inventory they will drop the opening bid. 

Its internal controls for them.. you also have drop bids that then have step bids.. IE they are owed 400k show an opening bid of 200k and the second someone bids at 200k they bid up to 350k first bid.. Just never know.  

I have also seen the opposite for the opening bid was 300k and when they cry the sale the cryer opens the sale at 200k and no one has checks for it and it reverts. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Pflugerville, TX · Member since 2014 · 152 posts · 94 votes
    2mo

    Are the properties actually being sold off at the lower prices or are they just going back to the bank?

    We have done foreclosures in the Austin, TX area for 20 years off and on and we are seeing the same thing, low starting bids but the reserves are still very high which means most of them just go back to the bank.  We are seeing that with the online auction companies as well in areas we invest out of state.  It has been like this for a long time but now seems like whenever we bid it is just one other buyer (the bank) bidding against us trying to get the price up to their reserve.  The result is that we have not bought an auction property in a long time as the houses were originally bought during the peak and the amount owed is too high for what the property is worth now.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2mo

    its the indication of price compression on the values compared to when they made the loan.

    Also keep in mind if there is mortgage insurance banks will bid higher if no mortgage insurance and they do not want inventory they will drop the opening bid. 

    Its internal controls for them.. you also have drop bids that then have step bids.. IE they are owed 400k show an opening bid of 200k and the second someone bids at 200k they bid up to 350k first bid.. Just never know.  

    I have also seen the opposite for the opening bid was 300k and when they cry the sale the cryer opens the sale at 200k and no one has checks for it and it reverts. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
    2mo

    @Stacy Noble I can't say I have noticed that pattern yet since I have only recently started attending foreclosure auctions. However, what I can say with certainty is that there has been a noticeable increase in the number of properties going through foreclosure.

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      2mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      @Stacy Noble I can't say I have noticed that pattern yet since I have only recently started attending foreclosure auctions. However, what I can say with certainty is that there has been a noticeable increase in the number of properties going through foreclosure.


      Atlanta is one of tougher markets to work foreclosures since the sales are all on the same day once a month.. so you can have 5  6 7 different criers all crying sales at the same time pretty tough to follow allow them or even many of them. 
  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2mo
    Quote from @Stacy Noble:

    I am a lead manager for a couple of real estate investment companies. Both companies purchase foreclosure properties, so I spend a lot of time looking at foreclosure data, auction results, opening bids, balances, and post-auction opportunities.

    A trend I am noticing that feels pretty new for our regions is banks drastically discounting the amount at auction.

    It has happened in the past, but within the last few months we are seeing a pretty noticeable increase. In some cases, the amount owed is much higher than the opening bid or final auction amount. It is happening enough that I have a team member pulling a full-year analysis so I can prove to myself that I am not imagining it.

    Is anyone else seeing this trend?

    And for those of you who understand the bank/lender side better than I do, what do you think is causing it?

    My working theory is that some lenders may be trying to avoid taking back more REO inventory, especially on properties where the asset may need work, has title/occupancy issues, or does not fit cleanly into their resale process. Instead of bidding close to the full debt and ending up with the property, they may be discounting the opening bid to encourage a third-party buyer at auction and move the asset off their books faster.

    I am also wondering if this could be tied to internal risk, servicing pressure, carrying costs, insurance, taxes, property condition, or a general shift in how certain lenders are handling distressed assets.

    I am not saying this is definitely what is happening — it is just the theory I keep coming back to based on what we are seeing.

    Curious if anyone else is seeing the same thing in their market, and if so, what explanation makes the most sense to you?

    There are actually several reasons. Most government loans are insured to a certain point. No government wants the foreclosure scene to be nasty, so they incentivize banks to delay. Banks have a "set point" where they can only issue more loans, if their foreclosure rate is below the set point. When a new manager comes in, he is given directions by the board either to clear the list or to work more closely with borrowers. 

    When it's mechanized with a lot of "position dedicated" (people full time at the bank doing foreclosures) & experienced people, like the 2008-2012 era, people know what upper management and government expect, so it runs more like you'd expect. What we have now are a few foreclosures where new people are running the show and no one wants to get fired, so they are cautious.  It's not "their" money they are losing, it's the bank's, and as long as they are under the bank's guideline's for losses, they won't be bothered. And it depends on the specific bank, the type of loan, the state the foreclosure is in, how new the manager is and whether he had ice cream for lunch.

    There is a technique to get through their madness, but it only helps when foreclosures are your goal. Dabbling in it gets some results but the big money is in focus.
  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2mo
    Quote from @Stacy Noble:

    I am a lead manager for a couple of real estate investment companies. Both companies purchase foreclosure properties, so I spend a lot of time looking at foreclosure data, auction results, opening bids, balances, and post-auction opportunities.

    A trend I am noticing that feels pretty new for our regions is banks drastically discounting the amount at auction.

    It has happened in the past, but within the last few months we are seeing a pretty noticeable increase. In some cases, the amount owed is much higher than the opening bid or final auction amount. It is happening enough that I have a team member pulling a full-year analysis so I can prove to myself that I am not imagining it.

    Is anyone else seeing this trend?

    And for those of you who understand the bank/lender side better than I do, what do you think is causing it?

    My working theory is that some lenders may be trying to avoid taking back more REO inventory, especially on properties where the asset may need work, has title/occupancy issues, or does not fit cleanly into their resale process. Instead of bidding close to the full debt and ending up with the property, they may be discounting the opening bid to encourage a third-party buyer at auction and move the asset off their books faster.

    I am also wondering if this could be tied to internal risk, servicing pressure, carrying costs, insurance, taxes, property condition, or a general shift in how certain lenders are handling distressed assets.

    I am not saying this is definitely what is happening — it is just the theory I keep coming back to based on what we are seeing.

    Curious if anyone else is seeing the same thing in their market, and if so, what explanation makes the most sense to you?

    I've noticed something similar in a few markets. I think your theory is definitely one possibility. Holding REO has become more expensive between insurance, taxes, maintenance, legal costs, and the time it takes to get a property market-ready, so lenders may decide it's better to encourage a third-party sale even if it means recovering less than the full debt. Another factor could be updated valuations. If the lender believes the property's true market value is well below the loan balance because of deferred maintenance or market conditions, bidding the full amount doesn't really change the outcome if they're likely to own an overvalued asset. It could also vary by servicer, since some seem to prioritize faster resolution over maximizing recovery on every file. I'd be interested to see the results of your year-long analysis because it would be interesting to know whether this is an industry-wide shift or just certain lenders changing their strategy. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!
  • Specialist · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    2mo

    I am interested too.  

    Thanks for the feedback. 

  • Investor · Austin TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1mo

    @Stacy Noble This is very interesting. On the investing side of this, I work with borrowers and try to buy their homes before they get to the auction. And what I have been seeing is that lenders are letting loans stay delinquent longer. Ive spoken to borrowers who havent made a mortgage payment in 18+ months. Your observation is interesting because I didnt think that the lender could sell the property at auction for less than the total loan amount. I thought when the lender is foreclosing, the bid at auction has to be the total debt owed but once they own the property they can sell for any price they want. I've also seen that more properties are going to the CWCOT program to try and get the property sold before it goes REO. Thanks for sharing what you've been noticing. I have a feeling I will be going down a rabbit hole tonight.

  • Specialist · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    1mo

    I have been down this rabbit hole for a couple months. 

    We are also seeing forclosures getting extensions.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.