Best market to house hack in?

Best market to house hack in?

Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 13 votes

Hello everyone,

I've been spending a lot of time on Biggerpockets and listening to as many real estate podcasts as possible everyday. 

 I'm an 18-year-old aspiring real estate investor, I've been working for a little over a year now at a real estate office learning everything I can from the people around me.

 I'm currently looking for my first house hack, and because of my age, I am open to move to whichever state has the best landlord friendly laws and highest cash flow/appreciation.

My criteria is triplex/quadplex and up to $700k 

What markets can you guys recommend. Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.  

Thank you in advance for your help!

11Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

Dan SheeksPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 621 posts · 362 votes
3y

Hey @Yoffi Storch. I host a bi-weekly Zoom meeting for new/beginning investors who are between 15 and 25. Almost all of the attendees are house hacking or will be in the near future. It's a networking group, and we often have expert guests join our meetings. If you're interested, lmk.

Dan

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Yoffi Storch:

    Hello everyone,

    I've been spending a lot of time on Biggerpockets and listening to as many real estate podcasts as possible everyday. 

     I'm an 18-year-old aspiring real estate investor, I've been working for a little over a year now at a real estate office learning everything I can from the people around me.

     I'm currently looking for my first house hack, and because of my age, I am open to move to whichever state has the best landlord friendly laws and highest cash flow/appreciation.

    My criteria is triplex/quadplex and up to $700k 

    What markets can you guys recommend. Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.  

    Thank you in advance for your help!

    Hey Yoffi!

    How are you doing so far? Welcome to Bigger Pockets~

    Have you already decided what's the best market? In Ohio, you have Columbus, Cleveland, Dayton, and Cincy to choose from. Personally, I find Columbus appealing because of its ongoing development and the presence of affordable housing options in its surrounding suburbs. These areas offer favorable rental rates and are experiencing positive population growth, which makes them attractive to potential investors or residents. 

    Is this something you are considering? if yes, hit me up, and let's schedule a call. :) Message me anytime. I am willing to help you out! 

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 427 posts · 254 votes
    3y

    I'd recommend looking towards the midwest. I'm situated in Columbus, OH, and the rent to price ratios allow you to find deals satisfying the 1% rule. Columbus also has significant economic drivers like OSU, two major hospitals, Intel coming in with $20bn, among other massive employers, making Columbus primed for appreciation. 

  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Yoffi Storch:

    Hello everyone,

    I've been spending a lot of time on Biggerpockets and listening to as many real estate podcasts as possible everyday. 

     I'm an 18-year-old aspiring real estate investor, I've been working for a little over a year now at a real estate office learning everything I can from the people around me.

     I'm currently looking for my first house hack, and because of my age, I am open to move to whichever state has the best landlord friendly laws and highest cash flow/appreciation.

    My criteria is triplex/quadplex and up to $700k 

    What markets can you guys recommend. Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.  

    Thank you in advance for your help!

    Hey Yoffi! that's a great start!

    Just like everyone here, I also focused and I focus my investments in the Columbus area. Columbus is an expanding city, with several significant companies relocating to the area in the near future, resulting in an abundance of new job opportunities.

    If you want to know more about this or need any help. Let's schedule a chat, so we can discuss further. :)




  • Joshua JanusBusiness Member
    Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Yoffi Storch:

    Hello everyone,

    I've been spending a lot of time on Biggerpockets and listening to as many real estate podcasts as possible everyday. 

     I'm an 18-year-old aspiring real estate investor, I've been working for a little over a year now at a real estate office learning everything I can from the people around me.

     I'm currently looking for my first house hack, and because of my age, I am open to move to whichever state has the best landlord friendly laws and highest cash flow/appreciation.

    My criteria is triplex/quadplex and up to $700k 

    What markets can you guys recommend. Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.  

    Thank you in advance for your help!


     Columbus is a great place to house hack! 

  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
    3y

    Hey Yoffi

    First of all, congratulations on looking to invest at a young age!

    I would recommend the Midwest, Kansas City to be exact :) Our city is rapidly growing and currently has great real estate opportunities. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions or would like more information.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.