Permits and Fees for ADU garage conversion in LA, CA

Permits and Fees for ADU garage conversion in LA, CA

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes

I am looking to convert my detached 360 sqft garage into an ADU. I have a single family home in the coastal area of San Pedro, CA. Because we are within the coastal area, my architect is saying that I need to pay an $18,000 application fee to the coastal commission and the waiting time to be approved is 6-9 months. I am also being advised that I should expect to pay between $25,000 - $30,000 in total for permits and fees including the $18K referenced above. I have budgeted about $100,000 for the entire project. Since my garage is built on the property line, I am not changing anything about the size so I don't have to set it back 4 feet from the other property. I am only making changes to the interior and adding new windows and doors.

Does $25K - $30K in permits and fees sound correct for an ADU in a coastal area? Will a $100K budget even work in light of the $30K in permits and fees?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Shane

0Reply
34 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I'm not as familiar with the coastal commission there but you can just call and find out.

    The 6-9 months of extra time I do believe. Coastal Commissions in general take their sweet time.

  • Rick GarridoPro Member
    Investor · Long Beach, Ca. · Member since 2022 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    You can go to the City to confirm but I'd assume the  architect is correct with the timeline and potential costs. 

    70k for windows and doors sounds like more than enough. If you're also adding plumbing, electrical, a bathroom and a kitchen then I'd say it's not enough. We convert garages or add ADU's on as many properties that make sense and at $70k for a 2 car garage (assume 20x20sqft) that's only $175 per sqft which no licensed contractor would do it for here in Cali. So for doors and windows that's more than enough. For an ADU conversion that's way too low. If you do find a licensed contractor at that price send us their number 🙃

    Good luck!

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    2y

    I suspect $100k will be at least $20k short if your permits and fees are accurate and not doing owner builder.   


    One of my protégés did all finish work (flooring, painting, light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, outlets/switches, sink drains, dishwasher, shower, bath vanity, kitchen cabinets and counters (installed but he did cut), etc.  basically everything that is installed when standing in a structure with only drywall up) and saved ~$30k.  it was a lot of work and was done shortly before Covid  

     If you do more then you can save even more   If hiring all work out, you will over run that budget   

    Good luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.