I’ve been researching real estate investing for a while and am ready to take the first step. Since I have to move from California to New Jersey next year, I’m considering house hacking with a multi-family home in Union City, NJ.
However, I haven’t found many examples of people doing this in that area. Does anyone here have experience with house hacking in Union City? I’d really appreciate any insights or advice.
If this isn’t a good idea, I’d consider investing out of state in single-family homes instead.
Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Hi @Christina Chatzoglou house hacking is what I specialize in. I have been house hacking for over a decade. My wife and I have collected every payment of rent since starting out. One of the reasons we have such a high success rate with navigating a state that so many say is not landlord friendly is because we know the areas to go to and the area t avoid. House hacking in Union City can work because of owner occupying laws NJ has which make things very favorable for house hackers. The issue with Union City is once you move out of the unit, those laws go away and landlord is not so favorable. If your goal is to attract high quality tenants with consistent rent increases there are city/towns that have more favorable laws that I would advise you look in instead.
Thank you so much for your response and all the information. I would love to have a chat with you sometime.
My situation is that we are moving to NJ because of a job in Woodcliff Lake.
I’m not from the area, but I did some research and saw that Union City could be interesting for house hacking and is probably within our budget. Another important factor for me is being relatively close to the city to have the opportunity to go there easily.
I could also consider the Bronx, NY, but I think it might be a worse option than Union City.
The good thing is that we have a year to do research and figure out what works best for us.
House hacking in Union City, NJ can be a smart move due to its strong rental demand, multifamily inventory, and commuter-friendly location. However, high property prices and steep NJ taxes mean you must carefully analyze cash flow. Look for undervalued properties, explore FHA loan options, and consider mid-term rentals to maximize income. If Union City's numbers don't work, out-of-state rentals in more affordable markets might offer better cash flow.
Property Manager · NJ · Member since 2017 · 786 posts · 396 votes
1y
@Christina Chatzoglou I'd stay out of Union City (and the Bronx). Moving deals in Union City isn't easy because the city is really strict with their laws especially as it pertains to rent control. Most of the savvy investors tend to stay away and exiting a property can be a challenge. Look at North Bergen, Bayonne, Linden, Carteret and Elizabeth (be careful there) as possible alternatives.
Also take what I said with a grain of salt, if you're not pulling the trigger for a year all of this info could be outdated as the market changes rapidly
I second what Vaughn said. Union city might not be the best option in the area but the prices are somewhat reasonable for the area. I house hack in Bayonne and am very pleased with the returns. I'd look into Bayonne / Bloomfield / South Amboy if I were you!