Advice on turning a home into a rental or sell

Advice on turning a home into a rental or sell

Member since 2026 · 1 post · 0 votes

So I'm in a pickle. I currently own a home that I purchased with another individual who I used to work with. The situation went sour and he left, leading me to cover the mortgage. Initially he offered to buy me out but needing a place to live I told him no. In return I did offer to buy him out for $10,000. 5 years go by and I attempted to buy him out and he denied the money until I was able to refinance and get his name off the mortgage. Due to credit and the boyfriend at the time not working but in school full time I could not feasibly refinance. Over the last year my health took a nose dive and I missed a few mortgage payments causing my credit to drop. The ex-boyfriend caused me to lose my job due to attempting to blackmail me. The VA has helped me get my health back on track and I receive a monthly stipend for benefits. But I'm now in a situation where I have to sell my home. I do have a friend who makes quite a bit of money and is debating on leaving his current career path to get into real estate. I'm not entirely sure if this is buying and flipping or if it is investing and turning it these into rental properties. He's offered to help me fix at my home and get it ready for market but also possibly save it and turned into a partial rental. My current mortgage rate is at 3.25% and the market right now has it sitting about 6.59%. The home is currently 778 square feet, it's a two bedroom and one bath. The attic space is vaulted and there's a full basement that is the same square footage of the home. The basement however is below living standards sitting about 6 ft in height. I do have three individuals who would want to rent out the space. 2 would want bedrooms and one would want basement. I still would need a place for myself and my little dog to live. So I guess my question is is it worthwhile to flip the space and rent out the two bedrooms and basement while converting the attic space into another living area or just flat out sell the home? What would be a good argument and counter argument as to why? And what would be the best argument to bring to my friend who would be investing, and what would be a fair deal for both of us? This is my first time posting so I don't know what all to include, but if you do have questions or need more info please ask and I'll try to provide them answers as quickly as possible.

0Reply
86 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo

    @Paul Hixson

    I think you could either hack your house to own property or sell it to start fresh. You should be selling because of your credit issues, co-owner problems and missed payments, unless you can prove clear ownership. Also Turning basements into living spaces brings up legal and permit issues, so we can't make money from the 6-foot basement until everything is sorted out. I think you should set up a clear deal with your friend. You need either a formal agreement that details how profits and ownership will be shared, or a short-term loan for repairs.

    Good luck!

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo

    It sounds to me like the first thing to do is absolutely confirm that the "individual who I used to work with" is not on Title. Just getting his name off the mortgage does not automatically remove him from the Deed, so it depends on the initial documents. You really don't want to end up selling, then find out you owe him half.

  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 854 votes
    6mo

    Hey @Paul Hixson If your friend gets involved, keep it simple and in writing. He should bring capital and take risk, and you should not give up equity cheaply just for help with repairs. A fair approach is him funding improvements for a defined return or small equity stake.

  • Real Estate Agent · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2019 · 53 posts · 20 votes
    5mo

    Would the income that it would generate pay for you to go find a cheap apartment? If you can hold onto it this way, you will still get to stay invested with the cheap interest rate and get the appreciation on the house. How much could you rent out each space for?

  • Ryan SpathBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2017 · 565 posts · 377 votes
    5mo

    @Paul Hixson

    If I’m in your shoes, given everything you shared:

    I would lean toward selling, simplifying, and resetting

    Not because the property isn’t valuable but because your current situation makes the keep  and improve strategy risky.

    You can always come back and invest again from a stronger position.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.