Senior in High School Planning to House-Hack

Senior in High School Planning to House-Hack

Member since 2026 · 1 post · 2 votes

Hi everyone,

I’m currently a senior in high school, and I’m trying to learn more about real estate investing, specifically house hacking.

My current plan is to attend a satellite campus of a larger university and commute instead of paying for a more expensive college/living situation. By doing that, I estimate I could save around $20-40,000 per year, and I’d like to potentially use that money to get into house hacking during my last three years of college.

The idea I’m thinking about is buying a small multifamily or single-family home with extra rooms, living in it for a year, renting out the other rooms/units, then moving out and repeating the process each year for 3–5 years if possible.

My biggest question is how realistic is it to move every year for 3–5 years straight while house hacking?

Personally, I see a lot of upside:

  • I could reduce or eliminate my housing costs
  • I could build a rental portfolio early
  • I’d gain hands-on experience
  • I’d meet people and learn how to manage tenants
  • I’d potentially build equity and cash flow over time

But I also keep thinking if this strategy is so great, why doesn’t everyone do it? What are the real downsides that beginners usually underestimate?

I’m also wondering about financing. Would someone my age realistically be able to get approved for a mortgage with only 3.5%–5% down, assuming I have savings but limited income/credit history? Would I likely need a co-signer, higher income, or a longer work history?

The only work history I have and will continue to have is driving for DoorDash about 15-20 hours per week.

I’m not looking for a shortcut or “get rich quick” answer. I’m genuinely trying to understand what I should be learning now, what mistakes to avoid, and whether this plan is realistic before I fully commit to it.

For anyone who has house-hacked or invested while young:
What would you do in my position, and what should I be researching first?

Thanks in advance.

2Reply
243 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5mo

There are many programs where 3.5-5% is the down payment so that won't trigger needing a cosigner. It'll be more on your credit history, income, etc. Door dash is seen as self employment so it'll depend on what your tax returns show you make. If your income shows as 20-40K then it'll be tough to be approved depending on the property price and if you have any debt. If I was in your position I'd focus on my income, credit and not having consumer debt. Maybe touch base with a local lender to see what they say. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5mo

    There are many programs where 3.5-5% is the down payment so that won't trigger needing a cosigner. It'll be more on your credit history, income, etc. Door dash is seen as self employment so it'll depend on what your tax returns show you make. If your income shows as 20-40K then it'll be tough to be approved depending on the property price and if you have any debt. If I was in your position I'd focus on my income, credit and not having consumer debt. Maybe touch base with a local lender to see what they say. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    I love the ambition! It's great to see the motivation. A couple of things to note:

    -Based on what you are saying you will need to go the multifamily route. You will need the projected/actual income from the other units to qualify. As already mentioned, Door Dash probably won't be enough since you deduct expenses such as your car, etc. 

    -Living in a property for just one year and then moving on will be tough. In this market putting 3.5% down and expecting it to cash flow is unrealistic unless you make material changes to increase the value. A great way to do that is to figure out ways to add bedrooms in existing units (like enclosing a dining room). 

    -If I were to start over, I would have gone the 3.5% or 5% down on a fourplex near a university and specialize in student housing. Nice pool of qualified tenants with multiple sources of income (work, student loans, parents, grants, etc.). Or do the same concept but near hospitals or some other major institution. 

    - I would budget 2 years and then move. Find properties that are fairly "done" because fixers cost money and time and people don't talk about opportunity costs enough. You can explore the FHA 203(k) loan, which I've done but I would keep it simple first before taking on such a large project. But by focusing on 4 units every two years, in 6 years you will have 12 doors. That's impressive. Then you can regroup on your revised short term and long term goals.

  • Ryan SpathBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2017 · 566 posts · 377 votes
    5mo

    Love the ambition. If more people thought like this early on, they'd be in a completely different position by 30. Moving every year for 3–5 years is possible, but it really comes down to your income stability, your ability to save, and how your local market pencils. In a place like Allentown, for example, a ~$328k (1801 E Greenleaf St) duplex renting for around $1,500–$1,600 (according to rentometer.com) per side could make sense with an FHA loan at 3.5% down, but the key isn't just the first deal, it's whether it helps you qualify for the next one. Once you move out, lenders will typically count about 75% of the rental income, which can help offset the mortgage and allow you to repeat the process. That said, the downsides are real and often underestimated older properties come with repairs, managing tenants (especially while living with them) can be challenging, and financing is usually the biggest hurdle at your age since lenders want consistent income, a 2-year work history, and solid credit, which may mean needing a co-signer or taking time to build that foundation. It's also not passive at all, it's a grind that trades comfort for long-term upside. The reason more people don't do this is simple: it requires discipline, delayed gratification, and a willingness to take on responsibility early. If I were in your position, I'd focus on building consistent income, strengthening your credit, and learning how to properly analyze deals so when the opportunity comes, you're actually ready to execute. I would also go to every meet up in the area, join all the FB groups in your area, and get in touch with an investor friendly lender to see how far off or what I qualify for, send me a DM and Ill make a connection.

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5mo

    Love it and congrats @Ojas Batheja!

    It's very very possible you just might need a co-signer to help with your credit and financing history.

    Buying a single-family home and renting out rooms is the way to go to get started at such a young age.  If you could do a 2-4 unit multi-family even better, but might be a heavier lift.

    If you don't have a credit card already get one and start researching other ways to build your credit.

    Highly suggest getting involved with some local real estate meetups - you'll learn a ton!

    • Ohio · Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 2 votes
      4mo

      I think you're already ahead of a lot of people simply because you're thinking about this before graduating.
      The strategy itself is realistic, but I think the biggest challenge isn't moving every year. It's consistently finding properties that still make sense financially after accounting for mortgage payments, maintenance, vacancies, repairs, taxes, and future rent assumptions.
      A lot of beginners focus on getting approved for a loan but spend less time learning how to analyze deals. In my opinion, understanding the numbers is the skill that compounds over time regardless of whether you house hack, buy rentals, or eventually do multifamily.
      As for why everyone doesn't do it, some people don't want roommates, some don't want to move frequently, and many underestimate the management side of real estate.
      If I were in your position, I'd spend the next couple of years studying deal analysis, financing options, local rental markets, and property management while continuing to save capital.
      Out of curiosity, have you already started looking at any specific properties or markets?

  • Jake YuskaitisBusiness Member
    Lender · New Jersey, USA · Member since 2022 · 254 posts · 67 votes
    5mo

    two big factors you want to consider when house hacking

    1. landlord/tenant laws

    2. asset protection

    florida is the king of this. in florida primaries can be put in a land trust to provide anonymity and asset protection. Even if it's not in a trust, your primary is exempt from lawsuits.

    Florida also has good landlord/tenant laws

    There are certain states you'd never want to own long term in. choose wisely.

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3mo
    Every 3-5 years is extremely doable depending on your income. You’re on the right track thinking this early!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.