House hacking advice in Northern California

House hacking advice in Northern California

Bay Area, CA (North East area) · Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 2 votes

Hey all,

Finally pulled the trigger and bought a place that's a primary residence, in Vacaville, CA, with as big a lot as I could get - close to a 1/4 acre. Its a 2 story with plenty of square feet, but have my kids taking up most rooms. Trying to be creative, frugal, and savvy with this place, but building an ADU is extremely expensive. Any other options or creative ways to get some rental income going? I am a construction guy - can build or do most things - plus with youtube university, almost anythings possible to learn, lol. Any advice and guidance is greatly appreciated. Also, I'm not too new here, but had to focus on work and family stuff for a while. Trying to get back into REI...

Thanks!

0Reply
248 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 16 votes
4d

Garage first makes sense, and you're ahead of me on the pad.

Two things I'd do while the garage walls are open: insulate the wall it shares with the house for sound, and give it its own mini split so nobody shares a thermostat. Noise and temperature are the two things people living that close end up arguing about. Good luck with the pour.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 16 votes
    5d

    With the kids in the bedrooms, I'd stop thinking about rooms inside the house and think about one space with its own door.

    You can build, so the cheap ADU is the one you carve out of what's already standing. Ask Vacaville planning about a junior ADU. As I understand the California rule (I'm in Alabama, so check me): up to 500 square feet inside the existing walls, an attached garage counts, it needs its own outside entrance and a small kitchen, it can share a bathroom with the house, and the owner has to live on the property, which you do. No new foundation and no new roof, and that's where most of the ADU money goes.

    Who rents it matters as much as what you build. You're close to Travis and a couple of hospitals, so furnished and by the month, to someone on a 3 to 6 month assignment, is the natural fit. I rent furnished rooms by the bedroom in my houses in Huntsville, AL, a lot of them to interns, and that kind of renter is easy to live next to: they're there to work and they leave on a date you both know.

    Two things I'd set up from day one with family in the house. A keypad on that door with its own code, so nobody ever holds a key to your front door. And utilities written into the lease. I cover the first $100 of the bill and split the rest, so nobody argues about the AC in August.

    While you build: a quarter acre usually has a side yard. A gravel pad for somebody's RV or boat is rent with no tenant at all. Check the city's rules on that one first.

    • Bay Area, CA (North East area) · Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 2 votes
      4d

      Harrison,

      Greatly appreciate those ideas, and thank you for taking the time to reply!

      I was thinking along the same lines: starting with a garage conversion. The RV on the side is a great idea too. And yes, I have RV size access on both sides. Right now I'm in the process of pouring a concrete RV driveway and pad.

  • Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 16 votes
    4d

    Garage first makes sense, and you're ahead of me on the pad.

    Two things I'd do while the garage walls are open: insulate the wall it shares with the house for sound, and give it its own mini split so nobody shares a thermostat. Noise and temperature are the two things people living that close end up arguing about. Good luck with the pour.

  • Gregory AcsPro Member
    Lender · MD · Member since 2025 · 187 posts · 72 votes
    4d

    Hi Seth,

    Congratulations on the new place! Since you have construction experience, you already have a big advantage. If an ADU isn't practical right now, you could look at converting unused space into a separate living area, creating a private entrance for a portion of the home, or even planning improvements that add value now and make an ADU easier down the road. Just be sure to check local zoning and permit requirements before starting any major work.

    It also sounds like you're thinking long term, which is great. As you evaluate different options, I'd compare the expected rental income against the cost of each project to see which gives you the best return. If you decide to finance a renovation or another investment property in the future, I'd be happy to help you explore your options. Feel free to send me a message.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.