North Hills, CA · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 10 votes
Hello all!
I am looking into investing in properties dedicated to travel nurses. I live in California and travel nurses get paid very well here. I am looking for some advice or recommendation and would really appreciate your input. If you are already in the mid term rental market then I would love to connect with you. Based on my research, Los Angeles, Fresno, San Diego, and San Francisco are some of the top markets for travel nurses. If you are in these markets, please contribute in this thread.
Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 474 posts · 586 votes
3y
Hey Tuan - I think MTR's present a great opportunity for investors. Check out this recent article posted discussing the mid term rental investing strategy!
I am looking into investing in properties dedicated to travel nurses. I live in California and travel nurses get paid very well here. I am looking for some advice or recommendation and would really appreciate your input. If you are already in the mid term rental market then I would love to connect with you. Based on my research, Los Angeles, Fresno, San Diego, and San Francisco are some of the top markets for travel nurses. If you are in these markets, please contribute in this thread.
Thank you!
Hi Tuan, I'd like to clarify a few things. You're statement of rates in CA for travelers are very strong...please contact me for current, up to date info on our industry. I'm a present operating room travel nurse.
Rental Property Investor · Union City, CA · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 11 votes
3y
@Tuan Huynh It has been five months since your original post. Have you found your properties and which city did you end up investing in? Did you hire a PM to manage your MTR properties?
I am investing in Fresno and I'm interested in the MTR market as well.
Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Do you already own property in any of those markets or are you thinking of doing rental arbitrage and furnishing them for travel nurses? Those are all fairly costly markets to buy in and MTR rates, while good, wouldn't likely cover your expenses if you don't already own in those markets. Arbitrage might be a viable option for you. There are also less costly markets in CA that have strong demand from travel nurses as well as many other customer segments you can market furnished rentals to.
Hey Tuan - I think MTR's present a great opportunity for investors. Check out this recent article posted discussing the mid term rental investing strategy!
For those of you wanting to get into the "mid-term" market for travel nurses. I am one. Our rates are GARBAGE. I'm going back to a local contract where I live and then to further endeavors. The gov't has sent too much money overseas and no longer reimbursing hospitals the way they were. Rates are half of what they were during the scamdemic. We are required to maintain a household at home while traveling and on assignment. Rates are 2019 levels and terrible. CA included considering the cost of living.
I'm hoping to post my ADU as an MTR here in Long Beach, CA. Looking into Airbnb and Furnished Finders. I'm definitely considering a lease agreement, but on the fence about running background checks, as that might turn off potential good tenants. Thoughts?
I'm hoping to post my ADU as an MTR here in Long Beach, CA. Looking into Airbnb and Furnished Finders. I'm definitely considering a lease agreement, but on the fence about running background checks, as that might turn off potential good tenants. Thoughts?
A background check should not turn away good tenants, only bad tenants. We manage many MTRs in SoCal and rarely, if ever, have a tenant complain about doing a BG check.