Mixing LTR and MTR Bedroom Rentals in a 3/2?

Mixing LTR and MTR Bedroom Rentals in a 3/2?

Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 5 votes

Hey everyone,

I'm in a situation where I will be moving from my current 3/2 home to a new state soon and I'm trying to find the most optimal way to rent out the house. I acquired the property before really diving into BP and learning all about the various expenses of renting a property. Needless to say - renting the entire home as a 3/2 doesn't quite break even on the principal, interest, taxes & insurance so I'm forced into the space of renting by the room or shorter leases. While living in the house over the last year I've rented the bedrooms furnished individually (to college students) to offset the mortgage and I have one tenant interested in staying. My question is - can LTR and MTR be mixed inside a house? I know utilities and some details would need to be ironed out but I was hoping I might be able to rent at least the master bedroom to a travelling nurse to get a higher amount on the net rent. Open to thoughts and suggestions, not sure if this is even a remotely good idea but I thought it might be worth looking into. 

Note: The property is 1.5 miles from a large university, 1 mile from a Level 1 trauma center, and 3.5 miles from another Level 1 trauma center.

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Bonnie LowPro Member
Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

@Nicole Heasley Beitenman it came up on an article I read and also in my research on recommended state-specific lease language. My properties are mostly in CA so it may be one of those things doesn't matter in more landlord-friendly states.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hmmmm....interesting concept. I haven't heard of anyone doing this specifically but then again, I'm not sure it's all that different than the idea of a boarding house or rent-by-room but with tenants having different lengths of leases. So it might actually be possible. One challenge you might face is your mix of prospective tenants not being a good fit for one another. For example, college students and travel nurses may have very, very different manners in which they use your home. Nurses need quiet for sleeping when off shift. College students..not so much.  So you might try to fill it with similar tenants to make the usage more cohesive and keep disagreements at bay. I'd look into some podcasts or books about rent-by-room and boarding houses. I know I've heard a few podcasts about this over time so they're out there. I'd also want to consult an attorney for your leases because your lease terms are typically going to be different for LTR vs MTR. For example: with MTR you don't provide a mailbox in certain states because it infers long term tenancy rights whereas with a LTR, people expect to have regular mail service. How you charge for utilities typically varies between MTR and LTR as well. And for MTR you provide either cleaning services or cleaning supplies, neither of which you provide for LTR usually. So if it were me, I'd want to make sure an attorney drew up the leases to accommodate for the nuances between tenant types and give you maximum protection. The other thing that would vary is your insurance. The way the property is utilized matters to your insurance carrier so check that out as well. It's an interesting thought experiment for sure. I'll be interested to see what others have to say. Good luck to you whatever you decide!

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Avree Anderson it doesn't sound like it makes a great rental. You don't want to just cover costs. You want to put aside for long term repairs and pay yourself.. If you rent by the room it does not work to mix students and travelers. If you are in a popular area for students though sometimes you can get more for a student rental. As for long and mtr length of stay is not as big an issue as tenant type. Health travelers like to be be with the same type of tenant. Sharing baths you may have gender issues, or you can have schedule issues. Price out renting 2 rooms see if that does well for you. Also don't forget you have to include utilities when you rent by the room.

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:

     For example: with MTR you don't provide a mailbox in certain states because it infers long term tenancy rights whereas with a LTR, people expect to have regular mail service. 

    I've never heard about this before! Where do you recommend I look up the laws around mailboxes for my state/county/city?
  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Nicole Heasley Beitenman it came up on an article I read and also in my research on recommended state-specific lease language. My properties are mostly in CA so it may be one of those things doesn't matter in more landlord-friendly states.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Nicole Heasley Beitenman  also  I didn't see that you lived with this long term tenant. Ask yourself what are they like to live with? Are they a grad student? Daytime schedule? Clean?  Loud or quiet? I had a similar transition but it was from having a female to male in second room. Some cared, some didn't and that was a shared bathroom which isn't popular with health care workers. Put everyone on month to month in case there are issues.  

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Colleen F.:

    @Nicole Heasley Beitenman  also  I didn't see that you lived with this long term tenant. Ask yourself what are they like to live with? Are they a grad student? Daytime schedule? Clean?  Loud or quiet? I had a similar transition but it was from having a female to male in second room. Some cared, some didn't and that was a shared bathroom which isn't popular with health care workers. Put everyone on month to month in case there are issues.  


    I think you meant to tag the OP. That being said, I did start my REI career by house hacking an SFH. I wish I had known about MTRs back then. I lived, like, 15 minutes from the Cleveland Clinic. My LTR tenants were all in the medical field. I wouldn't hesitate to house hack a single and operate it as an MTR.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Nicole Heasley Beitenman  You are right I tagged the wrong person. I don't think there was as big a travel nurse group as there is now years ago. There was a time when the agency provided housing and travel work is getting to be more common and no agency housing, It is good for shared housing because it is usually a better quality tenant.  My son is doing it now and it seems to work for him.

    @Avree Anderson  I should have tagged you above but in your case I advise M2M and judge based on your renter.

  • Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    Sorry for the late reply but thank you @Nicole Heasley Beitenman, @Colleen F., and @Bonnie Low for the input! We opted to continue renting exclusively to students for the next year and consider a pivot to medium term rentals afterwards. It was an interesting idea but could prove to be a little more complicated to manage. Thanks everyone!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.