Seeking Mid-Term Rental Connections

Seeking Mid-Term Rental Connections

New to Real Estate · Miami · Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 13 votes

I am currently operating my mid-term rental in Hollywood, FL. I did get my first guest, on AirBnb, who booked for 70 nights. While i'm happy, and relieved, I don't want to take my foot off-the-gas, and ensure i'm positioning myself for consistent stays. Ideally, I want more booking through Furnished Finder (to cut down on AirBnb fees), as well as direct from insurance providers, relocation specialists, etc. I reached out to a few companies via email, trying to introduce myself and my property, but haven't heard back yet. I know it's a slow burn, but if anyone has any recommendations as to who I should connect with, whether a business, or an investor in the Dade/Broward area, I am open to any and all suggestions, and I welcome collaboration. 

2Reply
170 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

You might be well off also posting this in a Facebook group specifically for Fort Lauderdale, FL investors. I find that when it comes to local advice, Facebook groups are typically the best place to go. 

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    You might be well off also posting this in a Facebook group specifically for Fort Lauderdale, FL investors. I find that when it comes to local advice, Facebook groups are typically the best place to go. 

  • New to Real Estate · Miami · Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Zach Edelman:

    You might be well off also posting this in a Facebook group specifically for Fort Lauderdale, FL investors. I find that when it comes to local advice, Facebook groups are typically the best place to go. 

    You're probably right, appreciate it. 

  • Realtor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    Assuming you've already registered your home with ALE Solutions ? They are pretty hard to get in contact with over email so I would give them a call every once in a while to ensure that your property is registered and to see if they are currently looking to place someone in your area.

  • Mason WeissBusiness Member
    Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 523 posts · 239 votes
    3y

    I have had insurance companies reach out to me through my MTR listing on Zillow. I would list your property on Zillow's platform and have some of these companies reach out to you directly.

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Newbie here! What do you guys mean by insurance providers? What's their relation to the MTR market? @Matthew Perez @Mason Weiss

  • Mason WeissBusiness Member
    Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 523 posts · 239 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Angelica Gray:

    Newbie here! What do you guys mean by insurance providers? What's their relation to the MTR market? @Matthew Perez @Mason Weiss


     Hey Angelica, insurance companies will look for temporary housing depending on a housing claim that they are working through. For example, if a family is displaced due to extensive water damage that will take a few months to repair, the insurance company will then look to find temporary housing for their customer/displaced family. Often, these insurance companies are able to pay a higher rate and desire a nice property to ensure they keep their customer happy as they go through an extensive claim.

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew Perez:

    I am currently operating my mid-term rental in Hollywood, FL. I did get my first guest, on AirBnb, who booked for 70 nights. While i'm happy, and relieved, I don't want to take my foot off-the-gas, and ensure i'm positioning myself for consistent stays. Ideally, I want more booking through Furnished Finder (to cut down on AirBnb fees), as well as direct from insurance providers, relocation specialists, etc. I reached out to a few companies via email, trying to introduce myself and my property, but haven't heard back yet. I know it's a slow burn, but if anyone has any recommendations as to who I should connect with, whether a business, or an investor in the Dade/Broward area, I am open to any and all suggestions, and I welcome collaboration. 


    Before you abandon Airbnb I would see if your rates are better on FF. I make an extra $300/month after fees on Airbnb. In my case Airbnb has the most eyeballs and getting me the highest rates, definitely not the same for all markets.

  • New to Real Estate · Miami · Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Allen Wright:

    Assuming you've already registered your home with ALE Solutions ? They are pretty hard to get in contact with over email so I would give them a call every once in a while to ensure that your property is registered and to see if they are currently looking to place someone in your area.


     I did send over an email a few days ago. I'm guessing I have a low chance of a response via email? 

  • New to Real Estate · Miami · Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Conner Olsen:
    Quote from @Matthew Perez:

    I am currently operating my mid-term rental in Hollywood, FL. I did get my first guest, on AirBnb, who booked for 70 nights. While i'm happy, and relieved, I don't want to take my foot off-the-gas, and ensure i'm positioning myself for consistent stays. Ideally, I want more booking through Furnished Finder (to cut down on AirBnb fees), as well as direct from insurance providers, relocation specialists, etc. I reached out to a few companies via email, trying to introduce myself and my property, but haven't heard back yet. I know it's a slow burn, but if anyone has any recommendations as to who I should connect with, whether a business, or an investor in the Dade/Broward area, I am open to any and all suggestions, and I welcome collaboration. 


    Before you abandon Airbnb I would see if your rates are better on FF. I make an extra $300/month after fees on Airbnb. In my case Airbnb has the most eyeballs and getting me the highest rates, definitely not the same for all markets.


     I agree. From a platform standpoint, AirBnb is too powerful. However, my goal is to have several avenues for bookings, so I am not solely dependent on AirBnb. Especially for MTR, I want to establish relationships with these companies to lock down my niche. While I would gladly accept an AirBnb booking, my property is less a vacation rental, and more a utility for traveling professionals/displaced families. 

  • New to Real Estate · Miami · Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mason Weiss:
    Quote from @Angelica Gray:

    Newbie here! What do you guys mean by insurance providers? What's their relation to the MTR market? @Matthew Perez @Mason Weiss


     Hey Angelica, insurance companies will look for temporary housing depending on a housing claim that they are working through. For example, if a family is displaced due to extensive water damage that will take a few months to repair, the insurance company will then look to find temporary housing for their customer/displaced family. Often, these insurance companies are able to pay a higher rate and desire a nice property to ensure they keep their customer happy as they go through an extensive claim.


     Exactly. On top of that, I want to work with hospitals/relocation specialists who find housing for traveling healthcare professionals. Could be another niche avenue for bookings. At some point, I plan to add properties, so I can bring more value to these relationships. I want to provide several locations, and it increases the likelihood that they will reach out me, and a higher chance I have availability. 

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
    3y

    1. Make sure you are on all the platforms.

    2. For FF tenant have a direct booking site where they can finalize their reservation.

    3. My best source to connect with traveling agencies as been furnish finder. Every once in a while I get an agency asking about my listing. Even if I can't accommodate the one they are asking about specifically, I make an effort to build a relationship with the agency.

    4. Have teams to handle repairs promptly. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew Perez:
    Quote from @Conner Olsen:
    Quote from @Matthew Perez:

    I am currently operating my mid-term rental in Hollywood, FL. I did get my first guest, on AirBnb, who booked for 70 nights. While i'm happy, and relieved, I don't want to take my foot off-the-gas, and ensure i'm positioning myself for consistent stays. Ideally, I want more booking through Furnished Finder (to cut down on AirBnb fees), as well as direct from insurance providers, relocation specialists, etc. I reached out to a few companies via email, trying to introduce myself and my property, but haven't heard back yet. I know it's a slow burn, but if anyone has any recommendations as to who I should connect with, whether a business, or an investor in the Dade/Broward area, I am open to any and all suggestions, and I welcome collaboration. 


    Before you abandon Airbnb I would see if your rates are better on FF. I make an extra $300/month after fees on Airbnb. In my case Airbnb has the most eyeballs and getting me the highest rates, definitely not the same for all markets.


     I agree. From a platform standpoint, AirBnb is too powerful. However, my goal is to have several avenues for bookings, so I am not solely dependent on AirBnb. Especially for MTR, I want to establish relationships with these companies to lock down my niche. While I would gladly accept an AirBnb booking, my property is less a vacation rental, and more a utility for traveling professionals/displaced families. 


    Totally get it, I'm in the same boat! It's great to have multiple lead sources.

  • Mason WeissBusiness Member
    Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 523 posts · 239 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew Perez:
    Quote from @Mason Weiss:
    Quote from @Angelica Gray:

    Newbie here! What do you guys mean by insurance providers? What's their relation to the MTR market? @Matthew Perez @Mason Weiss


     Hey Angelica, insurance companies will look for temporary housing depending on a housing claim that they are working through. For example, if a family is displaced due to extensive water damage that will take a few months to repair, the insurance company will then look to find temporary housing for their customer/displaced family. Often, these insurance companies are able to pay a higher rate and desire a nice property to ensure they keep their customer happy as they go through an extensive claim.


     Exactly. On top of that, I want to work with hospitals/relocation specialists who find housing for traveling healthcare professionals. Could be another niche avenue for bookings. At some point, I plan to add properties, so I can bring more value to these relationships. I want to provide several locations, and it increases the likelihood that they will reach out me, and a higher chance I have availability. 


    You can never have to many leads. The more relationships and marketing channels you build will only benefit you in the long run.

  • Realtor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 16 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew Perez:
    Quote from @Allen Wright:

    Assuming you've already registered your home with ALE Solutions ? They are pretty hard to get in contact with over email so I would give them a call every once in a while to ensure that your property is registered and to see if they are currently looking to place someone in your area.


     I did send over an email a few days ago. I'm guessing I have a low chance of a response via email? 

    Yes usually they only respond or reach out to you via email if they are actively trying to place someone in your area. 
  • New to Real Estate · Miami · Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:

    1. Make sure you are on all the platforms.

    2. For FF tenant have a direct booking site where they can finalize their reservation.

    3. My best source to connect with traveling agencies as been furnish finder. Every once in a while I get an agency asking about my listing. Even if I can't accommodate the one they are asking about specifically, I make an effort to build a relationship with the agency.

    4. Have teams to handle repairs promptly. 


     Thank you!

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Matthew Perez you aren't going to see too many hospitals contracting housing these days from what I understand. Used to be common in the past but not anymore.

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    Congratulations on your successful start in Hollywood, FL! To boost bookings, connect with local realtors, engage real estate investors, partner with relocation experts and insurers, offer business rates, target healthcare travelers via Furnished Finder, collaborate with property managers, amp up online advertising, improve your listing, attend networking events, and follow up with potential clients. Building a strong network takes time, but collaboration with industry peers can lead to success for your mid-term rental. Good luck!

  • Investor · Cincinnati/Fort Thomas, KY · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 183 votes
    3y

    @Angelica Gray If an insured house catches fire, insurance companies pay for family to stay in temporary housing.

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Mason Weiss:
    Quote from @Angelica Gray:

    Newbie here! What do you guys mean by insurance providers? What's their relation to the MTR market? @Matthew Perez @Mason Weiss


     Hey Angelica, insurance companies will look for temporary housing depending on a housing claim that they are working through. For example, if a family is displaced due to extensive water damage that will take a few months to repair, the insurance company will then look to find temporary housing for their customer/displaced family. Often, these insurance companies are able to pay a higher rate and desire a nice property to ensure they keep their customer happy as they go through an extensive claim.


     Oh, interesting! Thanks for breaking it down! 

  • New to Real Estate · Miami · Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mason Weiss:

    I have had insurance companies reach out to me through my MTR listing on Zillow. I would list your property on Zillow's platform and have some of these companies reach out to you directly.

    I am currently on Zillow as well. Is there anything you mentioned/listed specifically that would attract an insurance company? 

  • New to Real Estate · Miami · Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:

    1. Make sure you are on all the platforms.

    2. For FF tenant have a direct booking site where they can finalize their reservation.

    3. My best source to connect with traveling agencies as been furnish finder. Every once in a while I get an agency asking about my listing. Even if I can't accommodate the one they are asking about specifically, I make an effort to build a relationship with the agency.

    4. Have teams to handle repairs promptly. 

    Thank you! I am listed on Furnished Finder, for almost two months now. Unfortunately. haven't had much success, as I have yet to receive a direct booking request. I have received two general housing requests, but 98% is unmatched housing requests, to which i've responded to all, regardless of whether it matches up or not. 

    Do you use FF message, or do you text/email the client off the platform? 

  • New to Real Estate · Miami · Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jay Thomas:

    Congratulations on your successful start in Hollywood, FL! To boost bookings, connect with local realtors, engage real estate investors, partner with relocation experts and insurers, offer business rates, target healthcare travelers via Furnished Finder, collaborate with property managers, amp up online advertising, improve your listing, attend networking events, and follow up with potential clients. Building a strong network takes time, but collaboration with industry peers can lead to success for your mid-term rental. Good luck!

    Thank you! I know it's a slow burn at first, just want to ensure i'm taking advantage of all avenues. When you say online advertising, I assume you mean off-platform? If so, what do you recommend, specifically? Anything I can do to increase exposure on FF, specifically? 

  • Mason WeissBusiness Member
    Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 523 posts · 239 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew Perez:
    Quote from @Mason Weiss:

    I have had insurance companies reach out to me through my MTR listing on Zillow. I would list your property on Zillow's platform and have some of these companies reach out to you directly.

    I am currently on Zillow as well. Is there anything you mentioned/listed specifically that would attract an insurance company? 

    Make sure that the first sentence is clear in saying it is a furnished unit that will take 30 day stays. Most people don't want to read through your entire listing. 

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew Perez:
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:

    1. Make sure you are on all the platforms.

    2. For FF tenant have a direct booking site where they can finalize their reservation.

    3. My best source to connect with traveling agencies as been furnish finder. Every once in a while I get an agency asking about my listing. Even if I can't accommodate the one they are asking about specifically, I make an effort to build a relationship with the agency.

    4. Have teams to handle repairs promptly. 

    Thank you! I am listed on Furnished Finder, for almost two months now. Unfortunately. haven't had much success, as I have yet to receive a direct booking request. I have received two general housing requests, but 98% is unmatched housing requests, to which i've responded to all, regardless of whether it matches up or not. 

    Do you use FF message, or do you text/email the client off the platform? 


     If they have contact information, I'll use that. If not, I use FF messaging.

  • Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Matthew Perez

    I know some people insist on connecting directly with hospitals/travel-nurse placement groups or with insurance companies. IF you can do that, it's not a bad idea, but I think it's a waste of time. Why limit yourself to one group of people? We have medium-term rentals in Colorado Springs and Denver and have always just used the big platforms. I want to be where the most number of eyes are. Airbnb, Zillow, Furnished Finders, (Avail, to name a new one). 

    Whatever you think you're losing on Airbnb through fees, you're likely gaining by having a consistent pool of potential renters. For instance, if you charge $3,000/mo for your rental, and you get a 3-month stay, then you're paying $270 to Airbnb (3% of $3,000/mo). But if you're vacant for only 3 days because you're going after a no-fee guest, then you've already lost $300 in vacancy. 

    Brian Chesky, Airbnb's CEO, has talked about the shift into the mid-term rental space, and we've seen in our MTRs in Colorado that more and more are coming from there. The writing on the wall tells us Airbnb will be the biggest player in this space very soon (if they aren't already), and I want a good presence on there, with great reviews and Superhost status.

    Just my take. Sounds like you're doing well, already. Wishing you the best going forward. Cheers. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.