HELP ! How can I get bookings for MTR ( I THINK I've tried MAJOR platforms)

HELP ! How can I get bookings for MTR ( I THINK I've tried MAJOR platforms)

Investor · Tampa · Member since 2018 · 289 posts · 107 votes

Hey guys,

My property is near Lackland AFB in San Antonio, listed on Airbnb and VRBO. I have been trying to get longer term stays but nothing. I have it listed on FF for almost a year, Zillow, through rent redi, ALE, home.mil but yet to receive any tractions. Any suggestions?

1Reply
113 views

Most Popular Reply

Bonnie LowPro Member
Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y

You may be in a very saturated market. How much competition is there? You might try posting a link to your property from any of those sites. Folks here could review and provide some recommendations perhaps. Not every property is suitable for MTRs. If it's a 3/1 or a 4/1 you're going to struggle. Location, as in neighborhood, really, really matters too. And, as @Bill B. you have to be priced appropriately. 

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    Almost has to be price or advertising right? I would have started with FF for MTR but you're there now. Are you around the equivalent of 1.5-2x LTR and 1/2 of STR? That's the ballpark I've heard. Are you getting plenty of STR bookings?

    I assume you had a professional photographer take the pictures. If so, try a 20% price cut. What’s the worst that could happen, you get some bookings?

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    You may be in a very saturated market. How much competition is there? You might try posting a link to your property from any of those sites. Folks here could review and provide some recommendations perhaps. Not every property is suitable for MTRs. If it's a 3/1 or a 4/1 you're going to struggle. Location, as in neighborhood, really, really matters too. And, as @Bill B. you have to be priced appropriately. 

  • Investor · Tampa · Member since 2018 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bill B.:

    Almost has to be price or advertising right? I would have started with FF for MTR but you're there now. Are you around the equivalent of 1.5-2x LTR and 1/2 of STR? That's the ballpark I've heard. Are you getting plenty of STR bookings?

    I assume you had a professional photographer take the pictures. If so, try a 20% price cut. What’s the worst that could happen, you get some bookings?

    Thanks. I did a massive price cut. weekly a monthly discount. I do have professional photos as well. I did okay in Oct, Nov & Dec but those were after I did massive price reduction
  • Investor · Tampa · Member since 2018 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:

    You may be in a very saturated market. How much competition is there? You might try posting a link to your property from any of those sites. Folks here could review and provide some recommendations perhaps. Not every property is suitable for MTRs. If it's a 3/1 or a 4/1 you're going to struggle. Location, as in neighborhood, really, really matters too. And, as @Bill B. you have to be priced appropriately. 

    I'm not learning it might just be the area, possibly too residential
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Send us a link to the listing. Knowing the area might help. Some areas have lots of listings in the Lackland area. Depending on how close to Lackland also will make a difference. Rough areas right around the base.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Reston, VA · Member since 2022 · 513 posts · 521 votes
    2y

    Who is your targeted tenant? While it may seem counterintuitive, having a specific tenant in mind when designing and marketing the proeprty is very important. If your market supports medium term rental demand and you're having issues getting booked, put yourself in a potential guests shoes when reviewing your listing. Are you priced correctly? Do you offer the same or better amenities than comparable properties?

    In regards to listing with ALE Solutions there's also other insurance sites I'd recommend listing on such as Temporary Housing Directory

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Keleisha Carter:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:

    You may be in a very saturated market. How much competition is there? You might try posting a link to your property from any of those sites. Folks here could review and provide some recommendations perhaps. Not every property is suitable for MTRs. If it's a 3/1 or a 4/1 you're going to struggle. Location, as in neighborhood, really, really matters too. And, as @Bill B. you have to be priced appropriately. 

    I'm not learning it might just be the area, possibly too residential

     What is your property configuration and who do you think are your ideal guests? Is it travel medical professionals? Families relocating? Are you trying to do a rent-by-room strategy? It's important that your property configuration, location and guest segment all line up. And then marketing to those characteristics. 

  • Investor · Tampa · Member since 2018 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Rick Pozos:

    Send us a link to the listing. Knowing the area might help. Some areas have lots of listings in the Lackland area. Depending on how close to Lackland also will make a difference. Rough areas right around the base.


     Here is the listing link: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/913796090352032393?guests=1&...

  • Hamp Lee IIIPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 832 votes
    2y

    It may simply be a matter of location. MTRs may be more favorable near Ft Sam Houston with the military hospital (basically central SA). Lackland area has more turnover because of the weekly graduations, colleges, and other attractions on that side of town.

  • Investor · Tampa · Member since 2018 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jamie Banks:

    Who is your targeted tenant? While it may seem counterintuitive, having a specific tenant in mind when designing and marketing the proeprty is very important. If your market supports medium term rental demand and you're having issues getting booked, put yourself in a potential guests shoes when reviewing your listing. Are you priced correctly? Do you offer the same or better amenities than comparable properties?

    In regards to listing with ALE Solutions there's also other insurance sites I'd recommend listing on such as Temporary Housing Directory

    Great things to consider thank you. One thing that I could think of that I would add would be a workspace. I'm thinking of connecting with construction companies. thanks for suggesting Temporary Housing directory as well
  • Investor · Tampa · Member since 2018 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:
    Quote from @Keleisha Carter:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:

    You may be in a very saturated market. How much competition is there? You might try posting a link to your property from any of those sites. Folks here could review and provide some recommendations perhaps. Not every property is suitable for MTRs. If it's a 3/1 or a 4/1 you're going to struggle. Location, as in neighborhood, really, really matters too. And, as @Bill B. you have to be priced appropriately. 

    I'm not learning it might just be the area, possibly too residential

     What is your property configuration and who do you think are your ideal guests? Is it travel medical professionals? Families relocating? Are you trying to do a rent-by-room strategy? It's important that your property configuration, location and guest segment all line up. And then marketing to those characteristics. 


     Family relocating or I'm doing research now to explore the rent by the room model

  • Investor · Tampa · Member since 2018 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Hamp Lee III:

    It may simply be a matter of location. MTRs may be more favorable near Ft Sam Houston with the military hospital (basically central SA). Lackland area has more turnover because of the weekly graduations, colleges, and other attractions on that side of town.


     Good point re Lackland and more turnover. Hamp I would love to talk more I have a few ideas and would love your input seeing that you're local

  • Hamp Lee IIIPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 832 votes
    2y
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Keleisha Carter your house looks great. Lots of competition in the area for short term rentals. Mid term is tougher if you are charging 4k or 5k per month. We do our daily rate and then give about 20 to 30% discount for renting a month at a time. Maybe 3k per month would get better traction. I believe that $100 per day is what insurance will pay for families that are displaced.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Reston, VA · Member since 2022 · 513 posts · 521 votes
    2y

    @Keleisha Carter sharing your listing helps. I would rearrange the photos. Your first photo should always showcase the most used space of your property like a living room. The first 5 photos are the most viewed, keep that in mind as well. Everything else looks great though I favorited your listing to help you with the algorithm 😊

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Keleisha Carter:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:
    Quote from @Keleisha Carter:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:

    You may be in a very saturated market. How much competition is there? You might try posting a link to your property from any of those sites. Folks here could review and provide some recommendations perhaps. Not every property is suitable for MTRs. If it's a 3/1 or a 4/1 you're going to struggle. Location, as in neighborhood, really, really matters too. And, as @Bill B. you have to be priced appropriately. 

    I'm not learning it might just be the area, possibly too residential

     What is your property configuration and who do you think are your ideal guests? Is it travel medical professionals? Families relocating? Are you trying to do a rent-by-room strategy? It's important that your property configuration, location and guest segment all line up. And then marketing to those characteristics. 


     Family relocating or I'm doing research now to explore the rent by the room model

    Hi, Keleisha. I'm launching a virtual MTR meetup that might be helpful for you. The goal of this format is to provide an informal but regular space for conversation, peer-to-peer conversations and sharing of resources and best practices. Let me know if you'd be interested in participating! Best of luck to you.
  • Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:
    Quote from @Keleisha Carter:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:
    Quote from @Keleisha Carter:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:

    You may be in a very saturated market. How much competition is there? You might try posting a link to your property from any of those sites. Folks here could review and provide some recommendations perhaps. Not every property is suitable for MTRs. If it's a 3/1 or a 4/1 you're going to struggle. Location, as in neighborhood, really, really matters too. And, as @Bill B. you have to be priced appropriately. 

    I'm not learning it might just be the area, possibly too residential

     What is your property configuration and who do you think are your ideal guests? Is it travel medical professionals? Families relocating? Are you trying to do a rent-by-room strategy? It's important that your property configuration, location and guest segment all line up. And then marketing to those characteristics. 


     Family relocating or I'm doing research now to explore the rent by the room model

    Hi, Keleisha. I'm launching a virtual MTR meetup that might be helpful for you. The goal of this format is to provide an informal but regular space for conversation, peer-to-peer conversations and sharing of resources and best practices. Let me know if you'd be interested in participating! Best of luck to you.

    Hi Bonnie! Do you mind sharing more about your virtual meetup?  Thank you!

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mikelle Willis:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:
    Quote from @Keleisha Carter:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:
    Quote from @Keleisha Carter:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:

    You may be in a very saturated market. How much competition is there? You might try posting a link to your property from any of those sites. Folks here could review and provide some recommendations perhaps. Not every property is suitable for MTRs. If it's a 3/1 or a 4/1 you're going to struggle. Location, as in neighborhood, really, really matters too. And, as @Bill B. you have to be priced appropriately. 

    I'm not learning it might just be the area, possibly too residential

     What is your property configuration and who do you think are your ideal guests? Is it travel medical professionals? Families relocating? Are you trying to do a rent-by-room strategy? It's important that your property configuration, location and guest segment all line up. And then marketing to those characteristics. 


     Family relocating or I'm doing research now to explore the rent by the room model

    Hi, Keleisha. I'm launching a virtual MTR meetup that might be helpful for you. The goal of this format is to provide an informal but regular space for conversation, peer-to-peer conversations and sharing of resources and best practices. Let me know if you'd be interested in participating! Best of luck to you.

    Hi Bonnie! Do you mind sharing more about your virtual meetup?  Thank you!


     Sure! I've set up a collaboration channel for participants and am beta testing a weekly drop-in conference call series. The format is informal and unscripted so people can drop in and ask questions, crowd source answers and share resources real time. Forums like BP are great, but you can't have a conversation real time and the back and forth can be drawn out and is super inefficient. I'm just beta testing a few different options to work the bugs out before I open it up more broadly. If you're interested in being a beta tester, let me know. 

  • Investor · Tampa · Member since 2018 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jamie Banks:

    @Keleisha Carter sharing your listing helps. I would rearrange the photos. Your first photo should always showcase the most used space of your property like a living room. The first 5 photos are the most viewed, keep that in mind as well. Everything else looks great though I favorited your listing to help you with the algorithm 😊


     Thank youuu :)

  • Investor · Tampa · Member since 2018 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:
    Quote from @Keleisha Carter:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:
    Quote from @Keleisha Carter:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:

    You may be in a very saturated market. How much competition is there? You might try posting a link to your property from any of those sites. Folks here could review and provide some recommendations perhaps. Not every property is suitable for MTRs. If it's a 3/1 or a 4/1 you're going to struggle. Location, as in neighborhood, really, really matters too. And, as @Bill B. you have to be priced appropriately. 

    I'm not learning it might just be the area, possibly too residential

     What is your property configuration and who do you think are your ideal guests? Is it travel medical professionals? Families relocating? Are you trying to do a rent-by-room strategy? It's important that your property configuration, location and guest segment all line up. And then marketing to those characteristics. 


     Family relocating or I'm doing research now to explore the rent by the room model

    Hi, Keleisha. I'm launching a virtual MTR meetup that might be helpful for you. The goal of this format is to provide an informal but regular space for conversation, peer-to-peer conversations and sharing of resources and best practices. Let me know if you'd be interested in participating! Best of luck to you.

     Yes definitely I would love to

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Keleisha Carter:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:
    Quote from @Keleisha Carter:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:
    Quote from @Keleisha Carter:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:

    You may be in a very saturated market. How much competition is there? You might try posting a link to your property from any of those sites. Folks here could review and provide some recommendations perhaps. Not every property is suitable for MTRs. If it's a 3/1 or a 4/1 you're going to struggle. Location, as in neighborhood, really, really matters too. And, as @Bill B. you have to be priced appropriately. 

    I'm not learning it might just be the area, possibly too residential

     What is your property configuration and who do you think are your ideal guests? Is it travel medical professionals? Families relocating? Are you trying to do a rent-by-room strategy? It's important that your property configuration, location and guest segment all line up. And then marketing to those characteristics. 


     Family relocating or I'm doing research now to explore the rent by the room model

    Hi, Keleisha. I'm launching a virtual MTR meetup that might be helpful for you. The goal of this format is to provide an informal but regular space for conversation, peer-to-peer conversations and sharing of resources and best practices. Let me know if you'd be interested in participating! Best of luck to you.

     Yes definitely I would love to


     Fantastic - we'll connect and I'll get your contact info. I'll send you a message.

  • Investor · Minneapolis · Member since 2023 · 265 posts · 162 votes
    2y

    This website has some amazing resources for MTRs : https://www.shorttermgems.com/  I just saw her speak live and am happy to share some resources from the event with you.  There are a lot of very specific things you can do like target people who've been forced to relocate due to damage to their homes.  Upper-middle class families in those situations will get insurance money for a temporary place to live and it's generally a large sum.  Let me know if you'd like to connect on this strategy.  Happy to share what I've learned. 

  • Property Manager · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 54 posts · 29 votes
    2y

    Hello! There’s some great advice here already, however one key thing they’re not mentioning is your 4.58 star review score. That may be giving potential guests pause, and also not putting you in the algorithm’s favor. For Airbnb I’d recommend making a new listing and focusing on improving on the things mentioned in reviews. 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Jeremy Rosen that actually looks like 1 bad review with no  content in the feedback so I don't know what can actually be done about that. Don't you just drop in the algorithm from being a listing with no reviews?  not sure if a response would have helped. 

    Not sure they should even have stars on Airbnb, since everyone has to be a 5.

  • Property Manager · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 54 posts · 29 votes
    2y

    @Colleen F. a 4.58 is still a 4.58 when there are a ton in San Antonio rated much higher, and ratings matter. Re-listing will actually give you a boost in the algorithm just like if it’s a new listing. The important thing is that she gets a booking so Airbnb deems her property “interesting”. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.