Buying first mtr 10 minutes from new deer valley resort

Buying first mtr 10 minutes from new deer valley resort

Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 3 votes

I could use any advice on setting up this house for rent as I will be driving out there for a month to get the place updated. Do I need a PM for medium term rentals? Kis a pm worth having? 

2Reply
137 views

Most Popular Reply

Allen DuanPro Member
Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 590 posts · 463 votes
1y

Hey Joshua, short answer is, it depends! I know many investors who self-manage their MTRs out of state. The most important thing you need for that is a great cleaner who is also willing to do non-cleaning tasks for you when needed.

I think it makes the most sense to hire a PM when you want to buy back your time and spend your time doing something more valuable than self-managing or simply having the freedom to pursue something else that matters to you.

It can also make sense if you don't want to spend the necessary time to educate yourself on how to self-manage the right way. Essentially, you will be paying a PM to save you time as well as for their expertise.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Allen DuanPro Member
    Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 590 posts · 463 votes
    1y

    Hey Joshua, short answer is, it depends! I know many investors who self-manage their MTRs out of state. The most important thing you need for that is a great cleaner who is also willing to do non-cleaning tasks for you when needed.

    I think it makes the most sense to hire a PM when you want to buy back your time and spend your time doing something more valuable than self-managing or simply having the freedom to pursue something else that matters to you.

    It can also make sense if you don't want to spend the necessary time to educate yourself on how to self-manage the right way. Essentially, you will be paying a PM to save you time as well as for their expertise.

  • Investor · Member since 2023 · 66 posts · 37 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Joshua Marler:

    I could use any advice on setting up this house for rent as I will be driving out there for a month to get the place updated. Do I need a PM for medium term rentals? Kis a pm worth having? 

     Thank you for sharing this. I live here in Utah so this is very relevant to me. I personally would go with a property manager simply because they're far more experienced at that sort of stuff than I am. It would also enable the investor, much like @Allen Duan mentioned, to focus on other things. 

    I'm here in Utah and if you'd like some help digging into the best options, I'd be happy to assist. 

    I look forward to learning what you choose to do and I wish you the very best. 

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 292 votes
    1y

    Hi Joshua - That sounds like a good plan. A PM can be helpful, but it really depends on how hands-on you want to be and how much time you can commit. For medium-term rentals, some people manage on their own, while others prefer the convenience of having a PM handle the details.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Joshua Marler if you're asking here, as opposed to doing your own research here on BiggerPockets to learn how to be a landlord, then yes, you should hire a Property Management Company and get out of your own way.

    Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2020 · 490 posts · 205 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Joshua Marler:

    I could use any advice on setting up this house for rent as I will be driving out there for a month to get the place updated. Do I need a PM for medium term rentals? Kis a pm worth having? 


     Hey ! I am a local PM your your exact area. Happy to anwser questions you might have or be a resource!

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2025 · 81 posts · 43 votes
    1y

    Start mainlining the FurnishedFinder podcasts. You'll learn all you need to know. You should already be marketing it during escrow, with a note that furnishings coming soon. Build your team of locals to help you run it remotely. 

  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Hello! I'm a local Realtor and helped set up a rental for a client in that area last year. Happy to help however you could need.

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    Thanks for the offer to help. I am traveling out to the house the middle of September and I could really use some help from a reasonable and affordable handyman to help me remodel some bathrooms, flooring, and shrink a closet. Also besides Furnished finder and airbnb, do you know of any other place i can find a renters for the winter? Thanks again!

    • Investor · Member since 2023 · 66 posts · 37 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Joshua Marler:

      Thanks for the offer to help. I am traveling out to the house the middle of September and I could really use some help from a reasonable and affordable handyman to help me remodel some bathrooms, flooring, and shrink a closet. Also besides Furnished finder and airbnb, do you know of any other place i can find a renters for the winter? Thanks again

       I'm sending you some information on a GREAT local team who I am very confident can help you with the labor. I'm also really excited to see what you accomplish with this. If you're doing a short term rental, I'd be happy to come stay there sometime and tell other good folks about it when it's done. 

    • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2020 · 490 posts · 205 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Joshua Marler:

      Thanks for the offer to help. I am traveling out to the house the middle of September and I could really use some help from a reasonable and affordable handyman to help me remodel some bathrooms, flooring, and shrink a closet. Also besides Furnished finder and airbnb, do you know of any other place i can find a renters for the winter? Thanks again!


       I have a great local handyman if youd like his number!

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    THANKS CHRIS!

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    Ok Michael. You may want to take that attitude to X. I have been a landlord multiple times, I just wanted a little advice on medium term rentals which is new for me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.