What happens if I accept Partial payment of amount owed while in the eviction process

What happens if I accept Partial payment of amount owed while in the eviction process

Rental Property Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2022 · 62 posts · 21 votes

Hi, So I will keep this brief. Long story short I have a tenant that has not paid rent in the new year. Rent is due on the first of every month. We have a court date scheduled for next week and the tenants are trying to get us to collect 1 of the currently late 2 months of rent. I am hesitant about collecting a partial payment. I am not sure if it will reset the eviction process and if so I do not want to risk it. The property is in Battle Creek, Calhoun County MI. Everything online is tailored for the tenant and says it MAY reset the eviction process.

0Reply
38 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Bryan H. I believe it will reset the eviction process I wouldn’t accept any payment at this point. If you want them out it would be better to just write off the extra month’s rent as a loss then for them to game the system and to get to start the process all over again time wise.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2023 · 459 posts · 474 votes
    2y

    In Virginia accepting partial payment does not affect eviction. Check you local regulations - don't guess.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    In Georgia it would reset eviction, if you were to accept partial payment.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.