Thoughts on this? Did this realtor violate anything?

Thoughts on this? Did this realtor violate anything?

!! · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 1 vote

Long story short, I am from a small town in a rural area. Small town big shots sometimes make their own rules and that's the type involved here. They worked as a team in this entire thing.

So here we go...A person sold a piece of land 3 years ago, reiterated in the deed "this conveyance is made subject to the restriction that no mobile or manufactured homes shall be placed upon the subject property." as the restriction had been in a previous, distant deed. It was very very important to the seller as its next to their home.

The property was then chopped, sold 1 time  but all deeds still carried the restriction, but by referring back to previous restrictions. 

All lots stayed legal but one got a manufactured home shoved on it and sold immediately, before even in place.  

All sales of the property involved the same realtor, the same lawyer, all within 3 years.

The realtor pretends to not have known about the restriction, the lawyer is sort of playing dumb but talking about mediating as I point out they missed the restriction that they themselves originally put in. I have not yet notified the buyer who clearly has no idea of the restriction. I'd love to but I don't want to get myself into trouble. 

Is the realtor liable for anything here? Are they responsible for knowing the deed? They are absolutely involved more than just being the realtor but some of that seems back door. They even financed some of the deal....according to public docs.

I hate the idea of getting a lawyer involved. Any other course of action? And did this realtor violate any codes?


Who enforces these restrictions anyway? The county said they don't.

0Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
2y

Realtors/Agents don't have anything to do with, or interact with the deeds. That's under the preview of the attorneys. 

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    Tell the original seller so he can be there with a copy of the deed to prevent the placement of the mobile home? If it’s already been placed then either the original seller doesn’t care, is dead, or will take care of the complaining for you. 

  • !! · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Bill B.:

    Tell the original seller so he can be there with a copy of the deed to prevent the placement of the mobile home? If it’s already been placed then either the original seller doesn’t care, is dead, or will take care of the complaining for you. 

     They are dead, the other sellers are older. I spared some details but its closer to me than just "a seller". 

    Standing at a driveway with a copy of the deed doesn't work lol. "we're just working here" is/was the response.

    Complaining doesn't get anywhere, the county doesn't enforce(their words). That's why I asked for a course of action and if this is a reportable offense.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y

    I wouldn't expect a realtor (or lawyer) handling the purchase or sale of a home to remember if they also handled the buying for it a few years ago.  The seller however should have made a note in the sales agreement and reminded the realtor of any restrictions.  Mail a copy of the documents to the new owner and if you feel that strongly, contact the realtor and let them know.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    Google’s answered varied from the county enforcing it, or needing a court injunction. I assume this was recorded in the “registry of deeds” or SC’s version of it or it’s probably not enforceable. 

    It did go on to say only the person who put the restriction in place of their heirs can enforce the restriction and if they let it go for too long “latche” makes it no longer enforceable. 

    But it also went on to say with a property lawyer the person who placed the restriction or the heirs may be able to “foreclose” on the property and reposes it after sending a notice to cure that is ignored. 

    Lastly, it says only the current title owner is responsible for the violation regardless of who caused the violation. But they might be able to sue the seller under some other “failure to disclose” violation. 

    So if you are or know the heirs and they care. They need to hire a property lawyer and issue a notice to cure and threaten to foreclose. 

    Ps. Obviously this is all “Google lawyering’ and your local lawyer may say you’r screwed. But he’s your only hope. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    2y

    Realtors/Agents don't have anything to do with, or interact with the deeds. That's under the preview of the attorneys. 

  • !! · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    I wouldn't expect a realtor (or lawyer) handling the purchase or sale of a home to remember if they also handled the buying for it a few years ago.  The seller however should have made a note in the sales agreement and reminded the realtor of any restrictions.  Mail a copy of the documents to the new owner and if you feel that strongly, contact the realtor and let them know.


     Like I said,   it's a small town click.. They are all in on it. Without me getting into details.

    What I expect is the lawyer to do a title search. But since it's his buddy, I'm guessing he knew. 

  • !! · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:

    Realtors/Agents don't have anything to do with, or interact with the deeds. That's under the preview of the attorneys. 


     TY. I have had a couple rep me who seemed to be familiar and be able to answer questions on restrictions so I wasn't sure if this was common or standard practice. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y

    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    I wouldn't expect a realtor (or lawyer) handling the purchase or sale of a home to remember if they also handled the buying for it a few years ago.  The seller however should have made a note in the sales agreement and reminded the realtor of any restrictions.  Mail a copy of the documents to the new owner and if you feel that strongly, contact the realtor and let them know.


     Like I said,   it's a small town click.. They are all in on it. Without me getting into details.

    What I expect is the lawyer to do a title search. But since it's his buddy, I'm guessing he knew. 

     Then contact the buyer if you have their details.  If the town won't enforce it and the lawyer and realtor won't do it...then there aren't any other options.

  • !! · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Bill B.:

    Google’s answered varied from the county enforcing it, or needing a court injunction. I assume this was recorded in the “registry of deeds” or SC’s version of it or it’s probably not enforceable. 

    It did go on to say only the person who put the restriction in place of their heirs can enforce the restriction and if they let it go for too long “latche” makes it no longer enforceable. 

    But it also went on to say with a property lawyer the person who placed the restriction or the heirs may be able to “foreclose” on the property and reposes it after sending a notice to cure that is ignored. 

    Lastly, it says only the current title owner is responsible for the violation regardless of who caused the violation. But they might be able to sue the seller under some other “failure to disclose” violation. 

    So if you are or know the heirs and they care. They need to hire a property lawyer and issue a notice to cure and threaten to foreclose. 

    Ps. Obviously this is all “Google lawyering’ and your local lawyer may say you’r screwed. But he’s your only hope. 


    Thanks... It's not in SC. But that's good info.... I imagine the lawyer is culpable here. I would think they are responsible for finding the deed restriction against mobile homes on a lot while doing title work for a sale of a lot with a new mobile home. 

    I still feel like a realtor repping a buyer should at least read the deed... maybe they don't though.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    I don’t know if any realtor has ever read a deed on a property they weren’t personally buying. I’ve never been a realtor, but I’m 99% sure no realtor has ever read the deed of any property I’ve purchased, I know I haven’t. 

    I’m also 99% sure most lawyers have some insurance to cover such situations,  Errors and omissions insurance?

  • Rental Property Investor · Bow, NH · Member since 2016 · 216 posts · 185 votes
    2y

    I dont know the answer here, it is above my pay grade but if I were you this is where I would start.

    Talk to a lawyer. I suspect the title company or closing attorney may carry some fault here? If you sue I think you would have to prove damages I believe. The original sellers could probably make a better case than you can but again, speaking to an attorney would clarify that for you.

    Out of curiosity what is your role in this? Are you an abutting property owner or something? Can you prove property value reduction?

  • Rental Property Investor · Bow, NH · Member since 2016 · 216 posts · 185 votes
    2y

    @Bill B.

    My experience too with insurance

  • !! · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    I dont know the answer here, it is above my pay grade but if I were you this is where I would start.

    Talk to a lawyer. I suspect the title company or closing attorney may carry some fault here? If you sue I think you would have to prove damages I believe. The original sellers could probably make a better case than you can but again, speaking to an attorney would clarify that for you.

    Out of curiosity what is your role in this? Are you an abutting property owner or something? Can you prove property value reduction?

    It’s as close to me as it gets without it being mine.

    I don’t want to sue for damages. I want it removed as the deed restricts the lot from mobile/manufactured homes. It’s not even quite in place yet but they sold it to some poor lady for some ridiculous amount of money. I’m Not even sure this lady can sell it down the road with these restrictions in place, assuming another person doesn’t force her out in 3 years.


    I was just seeking ideas for a course of action that doesn’t require hiring a lawyer as the first step.  Thought maybe people had experience with enforcing deed restrictions.


    The title company absolutely carries fault. No doubt it was done on purpose, small town corruption is like a movie from 1985.  It’s clear they are all sweating it now as they stoped the work. 

    I thought about getting the 20 homes on the street involved(same restriction on their homes but most don’t realize) or a civil suit but I’m no expert in this.



  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    I’d explain the situation to the owner and offer to buy the property, or speak to a lawyer about potential legal action. The only other option is threatening legal action, but that doesn’t work unless you’re aware of what legal options you actually have and if you’re ready to take them, so unfortunately requires speaking to a competent local lawyer who specializes in real estate. Good luck! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Bow, NH · Member since 2016 · 216 posts · 185 votes
    2y

    I mean if the town isn't going to enforce it than a lawyer is your next route. We have covenants in our neighborhood that no one complies with. The town doesn't care so unless we get sued nothing will happen.

    Town or lawyer. If you don't want to go to a lawyer buy the land as previously suggested.

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

     The law on restrictive covenants is very state-specific and developed through case law over time. You can't get a truly helpful answer here without sharing the exact and complete language in all the instruments, information concerning the parties involved in the original transaction, and details on what has transpired since.

    I actually can't tell from the question what the goal is. Is the goal finding someone to blame and punish, or avoiding/striking the deed restrictions themselves?

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Member since 2019 · 223 posts · 261 votes
    2y

    I'm assuming they had to get some kind of permit to move the mobile home and connect utilities. So how did they get the permit? You can start there, but I know small town politics very well and I'm sure they "omitted" to see the deed restrictions. 

    Is it an old piece of junk mobile home or is a newer nice home. If it's the latter what's your issue with a mobile home? It's not your land and the person who put the restriction is dead. 

  • !! · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Tom Gimer:

    @Justin W. The law on restrictive covenants is very state-specific and developed through case law over time. You can't get a truly helpful answer here without sharing the exact and complete language in all the instruments, information concerning the parties involved in the original transaction, and details on what has transpired since.

    I actually can't tell from the question what the goal is. Is the goal finding someone to blame and punish, or avoiding/striking the deed restrictions themselves?

    The goal is to remove the mobile home. Nothing more. The mobile home that’s halfway in place yet has been sold through a shady deal with restrictions ignored.
  • !! · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Craig Janet:

    I'm assuming they had to get some kind of permit to move the mobile home and connect utilities. So how did they get the permit? You can start there, but I know small town politics very well and I'm sure they "omitted" to see the deed restrictions. 

    Is it an old piece of junk mobile home or is a newer nice home. If it's the latter what's your issue with a mobile home? It's not your land and the person who put the restriction is dead. 

    First, in the rural world, nobody checks deed restrictions before doing things. Building codes and all that from your big city investment world are out the window. 

    Nobody got a permit and nobody cares about permits in these areas.

    I laid out the scenario asking for advice on how to move forward with enforcing the lot restrictions…while trying to avoid putting so much personal information. I was hoping people would take me at my word for the scenario and how close it was to me and my family.  But once again another person asking for more detailed personal information on how it affects me.

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Justin W.:
    Quote from @Tom Gimer:

    @Justin W. The law on restrictive covenants is very state-specific and developed through case law over time. You can't get a truly helpful answer here without sharing the exact and complete language in all the instruments, information concerning the parties involved in the original transaction, and details on what has transpired since.

    I actually can't tell from the question what the goal is. Is the goal finding someone to blame and punish, or avoiding/striking the deed restrictions themselves?

    The goal is to remove the mobile home. Nothing more. The mobile home that’s halfway in place yet has been sold through a shady deal with restrictions ignored.

    The process would be, I believe, to file for a temporary restraining order, followed by a permanent injunction, to enforce the deed restriction. If successful the process would end with a court order requiring the mobile home to be removed.

    The question would be easier to answer if the actual language was provided so it could be determined that the restriction runs with the land and bind subsequent owners.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 935 votes
    2y

    @Justin W.

    It is correct that the town will not enforce the deed restriction. It is a civil matter, not zoning or criminal.

    You are building multiple inherent conflicts with yourself in these posts. You are looking at a legal matter and need a lawyer to address it, but you don't want to get a lawyer. It would be foolish to take internet legal advice and just blindly act. For example, you need standing to sue. Do you have standing? You won't say beyond you are as close to owning the property without owning it. To me, that means you don't it and have as much claim to it as I do to my neighbor's property.

    I lived in a community in PA that had a deed restriction blocking construction of sheds and other things on all of the nearly 400 properties in the community. It was enforceable by any property owner in the community since it was a restriction on the parent property. Any property owner could sue to make someone remove the shed, but they had to sue to do it. I don't know of anyone actually suing for it, but there were no violations of the deed restriction anywhere in the community.

    That example is from PA and might not apply to your situation. If it is relevant, you probably need one of the existing property owners to sue to block the mobile home. Good luck.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:

    Realtors/Agents don't have anything to do with, or interact with the deeds. That's under the preview of the attorneys. 


    its clearly a title company issue.. there should have been a title commitent done that show the recorded deed restriction.. And would be an exception to the title policy.. IF they got title insurance that is..
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Craig Janet:

    I'm assuming they had to get some kind of permit to move the mobile home and connect utilities. So how did they get the permit? You can start there, but I know small town politics very well and I'm sure they "omitted" to see the deed restrictions. 

    Is it an old piece of junk mobile home or is a newer nice home. If it's the latter what's your issue with a mobile home? It's not your land and the person who put the restriction is dead. 


    Cities and Counties do not regulate deed retrictions .. they regulate Zoning.. period.
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Mc Ree:

    @Justin W.

    It is correct that the town will not enforce the deed restriction. It is a civil matter, not zoning or criminal.

    You are building multiple inherent conflicts with yourself in these posts. You are looking at a legal matter and need a lawyer to address it, but you don't want to get a lawyer. It would be foolish to take internet legal advice and just blindly act. For example, you need standing to sue. Do you have standing? You won't say beyond you are as close to owning the property without owning it. To me, that means you don't it and have as much claim to it as I do to my neighbor's property.

    I lived in a community in PA that had a deed restriction blocking construction of sheds and other things on all of the nearly 400 properties in the community. It was enforceable by any property owner in the community since it was a restriction on the parent property. Any property owner could sue to make someone remove the shed, but they had to sue to do it. I don't know of anyone actually suing for it, but there were no violations of the deed restriction anywhere in the community.

    That example is from PA and might not apply to your situation. If it is relevant, you probably need one of the existing property owners to sue to block the mobile home. Good luck.


    to take this further into the tulles U can still pull up old deed restrictions that are of record that tell you who you can and cannot sell property to.. Like No blacks  No Asians  No Jews etc etc. I have seen deed restrictions go the other way.. and allow property to be split into many parcels or allow MF.. zoning though rules  deed restrictions dont rule zoning.. the other issues were changed with federal laws ..
  • !! · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Craig Janet:

    I'm assuming they had to get some kind of permit to move the mobile home and connect utilities. So how did they get the permit? You can start there, but I know small town politics very well and I'm sure they "omitted" to see the deed restrictions. 

    Is it an old piece of junk mobile home or is a newer nice home. If it's the latter what's your issue with a mobile home? It's not your land and the person who put the restriction is dead. 


    Cities and Counties do not regulate deed retrictions .. they regulate Zoning.. period.
    Thank you for your comments on the topic.  

    Who does enforce these restrictions? 

    Is hiring a lawyer the only option? 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.