What got you out of your 9-5?

What got you out of your 9-5?

Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 28 votes

I know there's a wide range of investors on here and I'm curious if there's anyone who invested their way out of their 9-5?

This is mainly for people who weren't working in real estate before and just doing it on the side while working their normal 9-5. Would love to know what peoples previous jobs were, how they invested, and how long it took to make real estate full time (without being an agent).

I'm personally working in corporate America as a digital marketer while investing in STRs mainly. Still working my job, but hoping to make real estate my full time job in the next couple years! 

1Reply
30 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alex Nauth:

    I know there's a wide range of investors on here and I'm curious if there's anyone who invested their way out of their 9-5?

    This is mainly for people who weren't working in real estate before and just doing it on the side while working their normal 9-5. Would love to know what peoples previous jobs were, how they invested, and how long it took to make real estate full time (without being an agent).

    I'm personally working in corporate America as a digital marketer while investing in STRs mainly. Still working my job, but hoping to make real estate my full time job in the next couple years! 

    I sold very large computers for a very large company. I was making a good living but I was limited in how much they would pay me. I jumped off the  merry go round into being a loan originator with a focus on foreclosures. I ended up buying pre-forclosures using Subject To before it was "the thing" and flipping them and making a ton of money, unlimited. So, I quit doing loans and went full time doing pre-foreclosures and creative finance. I've stuck with it because I can do "off market" (no competition) and be creative and make a lot of dough without having to put 20% down or talk to a bank. 
  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Alex Nauth I work as a counselor in a group home on 3rd shift. I’ve been doing this for 14 years and it’s allowed me to have most of my shift to myself for the past 14 years. Basically I come in to work and have about 30 minutes of stuff to do for shift change and then depending on which company I was working for I had some things to do with the first two companies, but for the past 3 years I’ve had about 8.5 hours to learn, read, and focus on my real estate. Then about an hour before my shift ends I have some chores to do.

    This job has been great because when I get home around 8:30am I can get stuff done if I need to during the morning and then still sleep during the afternoon/evening to get ready for the next night at work.

    I’m about 1 week away from leaving the job full time to go to real estate full time. I’ve agreed to stay on per diem at work for now while I see how the real estate goes. Likely I will end up with an average of 2-4 shifts per month which will be perfect to supplement the income I’m taking from my rentals.

    At first I’ll be focusing on a rehab of a building I bought in September that’s been started. Then I’m not sure. I’ve got a lead on the next building I want to buy and after that, who knows? It’s an exciting time for me!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.