Recap of First Day of Yellow Letters

Recap of First Day of Yellow Letters

Wholesaler · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 3 votes

Sorry for the long post..

I sent out my first round of yellow letters on Saturday (rather Jerry Puckett sent them out for me...great guy by the way and I recommend him to anyone looking for the YL services) and wanted to give a recap.

My listsource parameters gave me 515 properties. I mailed to half on this first batch..

1) Today was day one and I got 18 replies. I believe that is about an 8.5% response rate on the first day. I am pretty happy with this, but most of the leads so far are other investors who are absentee, have already rented the property, and aren't looking to sell that specific property beyond market value. There weren't any obviously motivated sellers (that I was able to discern that is) from my first go round.

2) I found an individual who was unwilling to rent the property I mailed about, but he holds 100+ doors of multifamily in my city and wants to meet for coffee and see what I might be willing to take off his hands...with his moving into higher end SFR he doesn't want the headache of the MF that he currently holds a large quantity of. I will see how it plays out.

3) I found two realtors that were unwilling to part with the property I mailed them on, but I did negotiate some MLS leads in exchange for kicking some leads their way. Looking to foster the relationships over the coming weeks and months to improve my pipeline.

4) So far no concrete deals on a home, but the networking the mailing provided is extremely encouraging.

So to the others reading this who are just starting out, you just have to bite the bullet, mail the letters, and wait by the phone. Mine did not quit ringing and, although none were really motivated to sell the particular property I referred to in my letter, many lead to a possible future deal and increased network. I had only one of my 15 callers talk down to me..a fellow investor... but I couldn't understand her from the beginning so her insults missed the mark.

Not sure if this helps anyone but I am willing to answer questions, give more info, and if anything just let you know the letters get the phone ringing...and in my case it wasn't nearly as intimidating as I had thought it would be...maybe your own fears are greater than reality as well.

0Reply
17 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • College Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Good job so far! Alot of people dont make it far enough to send the letters. I am eager to follow your process!

    Chen

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    13y

    Derek,

    You are on the right road. Let's say when you meet the subject with the 100+ doors, and he is willing to sell will you have cash to close the deal. If not let the subject know you want to wholesale them.

    Joe Gore

  • Long Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    @Derek T.

    Great job. This is a win win in my eyes. The networking with the RE agents and the future deal(s) with the gentleman that has the MF's are great. I am driving my neighborhood looking for homes. I may have to use YL. Please keep us posted on future happenings.

  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Nice work Derek. I am ordering first list for first YL mailing tomorrow. My criteria for this mailing is select zips in Maricopa county, AZ, absentee SFH with 70+% equity. The response rate you achieved is impressive. Do you care to comment on search criteria you chose? Keep up the good work!

  • Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Thanks for sharing Derek. I too just mailed out my first batch of YL with Jerry Puckett. I have had similar results. My phone has been ringing a lot. One lady was pretty rude and hung up the phone on me for no reason (I thought the call was dropped so I called back and then her husband hung up on me).

    I got one lead that I'm going to look at this Saturday, but who knows. Overall, I am very pleased with the YL responses. I know have to go through plenty of phone calls to get to a deal.

    Best wishes!

  • Wholesaler · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    Thank you for the words of encouragement everyone. Ive currently had 24 replies from 250 mailings. . Nothing for a sure deal yet but the results are encouraging.

    @Jack E. - I used the following criteria:

    Sfr

    50% equity or more

    Absentee owners

    Within 25 miles of my house

    I cast a pretty wide net.. with you using Maricopa you might want to go only with out of state absentee to keep the list manageable. .

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2013 · 270 posts · 40 votes
    13y

    Were you answering the calls live @Derek T. or letting them go to VM ?

  • Wholesaler · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    Best of luck Alex. I think I've been lucky I only have the one rude caller and then a few condescending Realtors. I'm really having to learn to get comfortable on the phone so for me the one bad call takes four good one to even out. I'm guessing when you've done enough calls you don't even remember the rude ones. .. unless they are like that Michael Quarrels voicemail example

  • Wholesaler · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    @Ceasar Blackman - I did half and half. I wasnt comfortable on the phone in beginning so I liked being able to grab comps and get a little knowledge beforehand. The problem I had is that everybody assumes that I did research on their house and that's what made me mail something to them. So then when I call them and I don't have comps right off the top of my head, or can't give them a price within the first 30 seconds of a conversation, they think that I didn't do my homework and that this is all a game.

    I had to think it through and to me the people that I would lose from sounding like I didn't know what I was doing was more of a chance than me losing someone from them not wanting to leave a voicemail..just my take on it

  • Homeowner · Frisco, TX · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    13y
    Derek T. why the high rate of investors/RE agents in your list results? Is that common when looking obtaining absentee owners? I guess that makes sense to some degree.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.