Would it be a good idea to become an agent and wholesale at the same time?

Would it be a good idea to become an agent and wholesale at the same time?

Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2013 · 32 posts · 0 votes

Been thinking about this a lot lately and I feel it would be a smart thing to do. What do you guys think? Does anybody know anyone who does this??

0Reply
13 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Whippany, NJ · Member since 2009 · 412 posts · 183 votes
    13y

    Sure, there are advantages to having your license as an investor. What is your motivation for getting a license? Do you plan on listing houses as well?

    I've had my license for 4 years, and recently put it on hold because it wasn't worth the yearly cost for me. I wasn't using it to the full potential, and with my partner having just gotten his license I didn't need mine.

    In short, in comes in handy at times and can be a bit of a hindrance at times as well.

  • Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2013 · 32 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    @Scott Costello mainly to run comps and have access to the MLS. Why not list some houses as well?

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 195 posts · 27 votes
    13y

    Yea I have an almost identical story as Scott Costello. Has my license since 2008 and wasn't doing TOO much but got introduced to wholesaling and now my passion is back in real estate.

    Advantages: knowledge, MLS access, networking benefits, more wholesale leads, more agent leads, confidence, technology, and more

    Cons: Fees, Must diclose everything (nothing different than normal, just more to disclose), Must be careful to do ensure you don't lose your real estate license, Other agents don't always understand what your doing.

    IMO I think it is definitely worth getting your license.

  • Wholesaler · Mishawaka, IN · Member since 2013 · 438 posts · 346 votes
    13y

    It's good if you already have a license, but I wouldn't waste the time personally. Agents work on commission, which means they do a LOT of the work for you, which frees your time up to actually buy and wholesale properties.

    It is helpful regarding access to the MLS, but your agent will get you whatever you need. And if they don't, get another agent. There are tons of them in every city in the country.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    I am in classes now to get certified and will be wholesaling. I personally think access to the MLS alone makes a few months of classes worth it. Also, why pay commission to an agent when you can do it yourself? Plus, the information I'm gaining in classes will surely come in handy when it comes to understanding the industry.

  • Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2013 · 32 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Thanks a lot to everyone who responded. I'm for sure going to get it now.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.