I recently had friends join the Franchise “we buy ugly houses” in New Jersey and they are killing it. I wanted to see if anybody is part of franchises like this and if it makes sense joining it? The fees which they take are pretty hefty and the only advantage I saw was that they provide leads and partial funding for the project. Does anybody know where to get leads outside of joining this franchise and does anybody have any feedback on this franchise. TIA
Real Estate Agent · Destin, FL · Member since 2019 · 116 posts · 111 votes
4y
If you're just looking for lead sources this doesn't seem like a good fit. There are many ways that work if you're willing to put the time in. I am not a wholesaler but a realtor and do very similar things to drum up business. Most important for you I would think would be cold calling. Get a good dialer system such as Vulcan or RedX and dial as much as you can. Have a good script and know the market before you start calling so you're confident in what you are saying. You can use a texting system such as Batchleads, just make sure you follow guidelines provided. Door knocking or "driving for dollars". Mailers. Signs. Social media advertisements, etc. You got this!
Investor · Delran, NJ · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 4 votes
4y
Hey Arthur,
you can get leads a bunch of different ways, good ol' door knocking is the cheapest marketing there is, and establish great rapport with the homeowner. Pm me lets connect!
I recently had friends join the Franchise “we buy ugly houses” in New Jersey and they are killing it. I wanted to see if anybody is part of franchises like this and if it makes sense joining it? The fees which they take are pretty hefty and the only advantage I saw was that they provide leads and partial funding for the project. Does anybody know where to get leads outside of joining this franchise and does anybody have any feedback on this franchise. TIA
Hi Arthur,
I do not have any info on that franchise. But myself although with everyone in my brokerage cold calls daily. This allows us to get deals and network. With the Columbus market exploding, it is essential to be doing this.
It totally makes sense to join a wholesale team like "We Buy Ugly Houses" because when you're just starting out, you need structure and contract help once you've got a good lead.
Most wholesale teams are going to ask for the same thing, cold calls, mailers, door knocking, bandit signs, etc. and they all work as long as you're willing to put in the time.
One of our biggest local wholesalers said to expect six months and a $8,000 spend before getting your first deal. If you're willing to accept this reality and put in the work, time, and potentially money, you can be crushing it in no time as well!
It totally makes sense to join a wholesale team like "We Buy Ugly Houses" because when you're just starting out, you need structure and contract help once you've got a good lead.
Most wholesale teams are going to ask for the same thing, cold calls, mailers, door knocking, bandit signs, etc. and they all work as long as you're willing to put in the time.
One of our biggest local wholesalers said to expect six months and a $8,000 spend before getting your first deal. If you're willing to accept this reality and put in the work, time, and potentially money, you can be crushing it in no time as well!
The thin is not even about the leads Is about the overhead and what happens behind doors.. Structure, Branding , Marketing. Im not saying is impossible to handle those right Away, but when you are new to this aggressive, competitive market is like a little fish swimming in a pool of sharks.
Is like on top of learning the essential on how to negotiate, comp accordingly , Manage you crew hire ( if you are going to flip) or if you wholesaling , (finding investor, creating that pipeline) , now you have to add, systems, lead generation, branding , administration etc etc..
By the way we buy ugly houses is a DBA of Homevestors, they have been around for a while. and is one of the few companies that offer that model..
I always encourage, to new people , if you have the chance to leverage from another system, DO IT, you will safe so much time ( you may not like a few things, cos you may have to comply with some of the rules imposed ) but overall leverage is power and it accelerates the process like jet fuel in a car ...
and then once you grow some wings, you can venture yourself...
And by the one it doesnt mean specifically buying a franchise, I'm also talking about, working for a brokerage a local flipper of hedgfund or a small or big wholesale company .. etc..
I appreciate the feedback. My biggest issue with a company like We buy ugly houses is the startup costs can range up-to 100k. Between buying the franchise to targeting only a specific area with no guarantee. I’ve been in the blue collar industry for over 15 years and feel very comfortable about the cost it would take to fix up a property. I also partnered with an gent who will handle the legal side of the deal. The missing piece to my puzzle is getting the leads. I signed up to a few paid programs to teach me but it seems the formula they are suggesting doesn’t apply to NJ. If you have any suggestions on how to find leads I would love to hear some ideas. I am doing the standard mailers but feel as if they are not as productive as I would like them to be. I know some guys in this group have used mentors such as Jason Palliser to help with generating leads and others used Meetups but I haven’t been able to find a working formula
I appreciate the feedback. My biggest issue with a company like We buy ugly houses is the startup costs can range up-to 100k. Between buying the franchise to targeting only a specific area with no guarantee. I’ve been in the blue collar industry for over 15 years and feel very comfortable about the cost it would take to fix up a property. I also partnered with an gent who will handle the legal side of the deal. The missing piece to my puzzle is getting the leads. I signed up to a few paid programs to teach me but it seems the formula they are suggesting doesn’t apply to NJ. If you have any suggestions on how to find leads I would love to hear some ideas. I am doing the standard mailers but feel as if they are not as productive as I would like them to be. I know some guys in this group have used mentors such as Jason Palliser to help with generating leads and others used Meetups but I haven’t been able to find a working formula
The agent should be able to bring you leads so you aren't doing everything yourself. If you want more off market leads I would - cold call, mailers, door knock, connect with wholesalers, agents, and other investors. Find the players in the area and go with them. Just off the MLS I can find many deals so it just takes networking and finding someone who knows the investing realm, especially since you are just starting out.
Real Estate Agent · Destin, FL · Member since 2019 · 116 posts · 111 votes
4y
If you're just looking for lead sources this doesn't seem like a good fit. There are many ways that work if you're willing to put the time in. I am not a wholesaler but a realtor and do very similar things to drum up business. Most important for you I would think would be cold calling. Get a good dialer system such as Vulcan or RedX and dial as much as you can. Have a good script and know the market before you start calling so you're confident in what you are saying. You can use a texting system such as Batchleads, just make sure you follow guidelines provided. Door knocking or "driving for dollars". Mailers. Signs. Social media advertisements, etc. You got this!
I recently had friends join the Franchise “we buy ugly houses” in New Jersey and they are killing it. I wanted to see if anybody is part of franchises like this and if it makes sense joining it? The fees which they take are pretty hefty and the only advantage I saw was that they provide leads and partial funding for the project. Does anybody know where to get leads outside of joining this franchise and does anybody have any feedback on this franchise. TIA
Specialist · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 183 posts · 83 votes
4y
I have a franchise in Orlando and I don't think my business would be where it is today if I hadn't joined HomeVestors. Maybe not for everyone, and of course, several investors are very successful doing it on their own, but it was just what I needed to boost my investment career and if I had to do it again, I would.