Owner wants to stay after property is wholesale?

Owner wants to stay after property is wholesale?

Flipper/Rehabber · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 176 posts · 75 votes

Hello BP,

I am closing a house in two days from now and got a call yesterday from the owner who needs extra time after closing to move, he requested a week, then a month.

What do you recommend? The buyer ask me for a recomendation, but need some advise first from BP.

The challenge that I have if the buyer creates a temporary rental agreement is that the house is in really bad shape, without running water becasue pipes has been broken since two years ago. The owner is living in the house and is using a neighbors hose for water.

This house needs a full gut rehab

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 951 votes
12y

You're better off delaying closing, as an investor I wouldn't accept the risk of having the previous owner still living at the property in unfit condition with the possibility of having to go through court to get him out and having the liability of someone getting hurt at the unsafe property. I'd rather wait and take it vacant. I'd say offer to close 1 month later for $1k less or 1 week later at the contract price and see if that motivates him to move out.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Burnet, TX · Member since 2011 · 44 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    I would never allow an owner to stay in the property after it has closed. What I would do, if the owner needs more time is to try and negotiate a lower price in exchange for an extension on closing.

    These are some tactics that I have used. Let me know if it helps any.

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Murders:
    I would never allow an owner to stay in the property after it has closed.

    Is there a specific reason you wouldn't?

    I can understand this situation with the house being in shambles. But what if it were in livable condition?

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 951 votes
    12y

    You're better off delaying closing, as an investor I wouldn't accept the risk of having the previous owner still living at the property in unfit condition with the possibility of having to go through court to get him out and having the liability of someone getting hurt at the unsafe property. I'd rather wait and take it vacant. I'd say offer to close 1 month later for $1k less or 1 week later at the contract price and see if that motivates him to move out.

  • Orland Park, IL · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Hector Perez . @Patrick L. summed it up nicely. I would not close and allow the current owner to live in a house that is unfit for habitation.

    Did you ask him why he/she needed more time? I have run into similar situations and, in many cases, the seller did not have enough money to move. I suspect that is the case in this situation; the seller has been living there for two years in less than desirable conditions. I would try offering them "cash for keys", and reducing the offer by an equivalent amount.

  • Real Estate Agent · Burnet, TX · Member since 2011 · 44 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    My reasoning is exactly the same as @Patrick L and @Account Closed

    @Account Closed

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Your buyer should be the one getting advice and making the call. It's their money and time.

    My experience with owners in properties like that is that they often have no where to go, regardless of the funds generated by the sale, or they lack the physical and emotional resources to get all their stuff moved. So it will go on and on and on. If there are hoarding issues or drugs talking, moving is just a fantasy. Entrenched owner and tenants will often present as motivated to sell and move but it's not always the reality.

    It's hard when you are in the middle because you won't get paid until it closes. But unless you can make sure the owner will really vacate, I suggest that your buyer not close on it till it's vacant.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 176 posts · 75 votes
    12y

    Thanks for all the replies, just a quick update.

    After reviewing the different alternatives, the buyer decided to do a temporary lease, for a week while owner moves out their belongings. Also, landlord will keep a $5,000 of the funding at closing as a deposit and release it to the tenant/seller once they move out. Also, part of the lease, the tenant releases the landlord of any damages occur during that period

    The best alternative was to move the closing date, but there where may deadlines that need to be extended and signatures to obtain that it was not worth it. This deal took 3 months to close, title issues, liens, judgements, multiple owners (inheritance), etc.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.