Can you wholesale in IL without a brokers license?

Can you wholesale in IL without a brokers license?

New to Real Estate · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hey, I am interested in starting wholesaling in IL and found out that there is a law "preventing" wholesalers from doing business without a broker's license. Now I did some research and everyone has their  explanations for what the law means. Some say the wholesaler needs a broker's license to do wholesale more than 1 deal every 12 months, and there is no way around it, and others say you can work with a licensed broker, and have them represent you, the wholesaler, in every deal you do. Please shed some light on this topic, especially if you currently are wholesaling in Illinois. Any help would be much appreciated!

1Reply
100 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Richardson, TX · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 3 votes
2y
@Jonathan Klemm Can you refer any agents that will/can handle wholesale deals? 
Partner and I are looking to do fix and flip deals through direct to seller. Assuming we wont be able to flip every deal looking to connect with an agent who would be open to wholesaling some deals. 
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 77 posts · 32 votes
    2y

    You might still be able to double close deals. Let me know if you need help with your deals. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Andrii Sazhnev:

    Hey, I am interested in starting wholesaling in IL and found out that there is a law "preventing" wholesalers from doing business without a broker's license. Now I did some research and everyone has their  explanations for what the law means. Some say the wholesaler needs a broker's license to do wholesale more than 1 deal every 12 months, and there is no way around it, and others say you can work with a licensed broker, and have them represent you, the wholesaler, in every deal you do. Please shed some light on this topic, especially if you currently are wholesaling in Illinois. Any help would be much appreciated!

     I've heard the same as you, 1 deal per year without a license. Maybe @Jonathan Klemm can correct me on that.

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Appreciate the tag @Paul De Luca!

    I am by no means an attorney and to my limited knowledge I don't know of anyone who has gotten "caught" with the new illinois law, but my understanding is that you can not "Market" (aka sell side of wholesale) more than one property per year.

    So if you had a licensed agent do the "marketing" of the property once it's under contract then you should be in the clear.

    You can of course double close, but the law is more specific to the marketing of the property vs. how it's closed.

    My suggestion @Andrii Sazhnev would be to find another wholesaler who has their broker's license to work with them while starting to get your license...in my opinion (if you have the time) it is worth it for anyone who is doing real estate full time to get there license - simply for the education and MLS access.

  • Specialist · Frederick, MD · Member since 2017 · 474 posts · 454 votes
    2y

    I don't live in IL, and I'm by no means an attorney, but let me say this - when you wholesale, you're selling an assignment of the contract, which is personal property. You aren't representing either party; you aren't negotiating the price or terms between the buyer and the seller (if you are, stop doing this), and you aren't selling real estate.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Richardson, TX · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    @Jonathan Klemm Can you refer any agents that will/can handle wholesale deals? 
    Partner and I are looking to do fix and flip deals through direct to seller. Assuming we wont be able to flip every deal looking to connect with an agent who would be open to wholesaling some deals. 
  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Dan Delcorio - Was your question in your quote?  Not sure what happened there.

    I have many Chicago agents I could refer who could handle wholesale deals including myself, but not in Texas.

  • Dave KushPro Member
    Frankfort, IL · Member since 2022 · 204 posts · 132 votes
    2y

    Double closing is legal in Illinois. Find lawyer that will work with you on them.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Richardson, TX · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    @Jonathan Klemm I was specifically asking for Illinois. Although I am in Texas my partner/contractor is in Illinois. Mainly looking to make connections with those who can move wholesale deals in case we can’t fix and flip an opportunity/deal.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.