My First Wholesale Deal – Lessons in Trust and Persistence

My First Wholesale Deal – Lessons in Trust and Persistence

Real Estate Coach · Derry, NH · Member since 2016 · 283 posts · 217 votes

In March of 2017, I closed my first real estate wholesale deal. It wasn’t a huge payday—$5,000—but what I gained from the experience was far more valuable than the check.

It started when I got a lead from an older woman who owned a house in New Hampshire but lived in Maine. She needed to sell quickly to afford cancer treatment in Chicago that her insurance wouldn’t cover. 

The house needed a lot of work, and I was brand new to wholesaling. I had some training but no real experience, especially when it came to negotiating. So, I took a chance and was completely upfront with her: I was new to this and would be assigning the deal to a cash buyer.

Despite my inexperience, we built trust. She knew I was trying to help her, and that honesty became the foundation of our deal. After locking up the contract, I ran into my first problem: I didn’t have enough cash buyers. My coach had told me to have 150, but I had around 30. Still, I scheduled an inspection and invited the buyers I had. The seller drove two hours to unlock the house for me, and no one showed up. I was embarrassed, but I didn’t give up.

I called the buyers, and they all said the same thing: the property was overpriced. I went back to the seller and explained the situation. She agreed to lower the price, and we scheduled another inspection. This time, a few buyers came, but still no offers. The house needed more work than they were willing to take on. I felt discouraged, but the seller stuck with me because of the rapport we’d built.

After a final price reduction and a third inspection, things changed. About 20 buyers showed up, and one investor made an offer on the spot. We closed the deal, and I walked away with a $5,000 assignment fee.

The real value of this deal wasn’t the money—it was the confidence it gave me. I learned that persistence, transparency, and trust can get deals done, even when things don’t go as planned. The seller got her money, went to Chicago for her treatment, and even thanked me once she got there. That meant more to me than anything.

For anyone just starting out, remember: your first deal isn’t about making a fortune. It’s about learning, building relationships, and proving to yourself that you can make it. Be honest, take action, and trust the process. You’ll get there.

5Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 1 vote
1y

@Jeremy Beland I really like this story. I am about to start finding my first deal, and I have been wrestling with the feeling of being a huckster. I really want to help people AND wholesale real estate so this gave me heart. I don't have a list of cash sellers yet, so thanks for the tip about needing 150+ in the queue. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    That's a powerful story @Jeremy Beland!  How many deals have you done since then?

    Hoping & praying your seller was able to battle the cancer in Chicago!

    Reposting the most important part of JB's post - Your first deal is NOT about making money!

    For anyone just starting out, remember: your first deal isn’t about making a fortune. It’s about learning, building relationships, and proving to yourself that you can make it. Be honest, take action, and trust the process. You’ll get there.

  • Real Estate Coach · Derry, NH · Member since 2016 · 283 posts · 217 votes
    1y

    @Jonathan Klemm

    Thank you!  She did get treatment but we lost touch so I’m hopeful it’s what she needed to stay healthy. 
    we have gone on to do over 450 deals since that one closed March of 2017. Still learning a lot as we continue to grow and improve. 

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    450+ deals...that's what I was expecting you to say!  Keep crushing it @Jeremy Beland.

    Love that you are staying humble too...the learning never ends...

    ...1000+ deals here you come.

  • Real Estate Coach · Derry, NH · Member since 2016 · 283 posts · 217 votes
    1y

    @Jonathan Klemm I appreciate the kind words and support. We still have a lot of things to improve on.  Thats why I pay for coaching and mentoring. I want to keep getting better.  1,000 seems unimaginable at this point, but so did 100 at one point. 

  • Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    @Jeremy Beland I really like this story. I am about to start finding my first deal, and I have been wrestling with the feeling of being a huckster. I really want to help people AND wholesale real estate so this gave me heart. I don't have a list of cash sellers yet, so thanks for the tip about needing 150+ in the queue. 

  • Real Estate Coach · Derry, NH · Member since 2016 · 283 posts · 217 votes
    1y

    @Carly Cohen I’m glad this resonated with you. It’s fairly common to feel the way you do in the beginning. With each deal you do, you’ll grow more confident in who you are and the value your provide. Good luck and feel free to reach out anytime if you have some questions 

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    1y

    @Jeremy Beland My good friend and I started to dive into wholesaling and started taking action. So far no deals closed but this gave me inspiration as to why we have to stick to it, to change people's lives for the better. I have learned a lot about myself these past few days and the courage it takes to put yourself out there, I will think of your resilience and persistence on finding a buyer to close the deal and help the older woman out. 

  • Real Estate Coach · Derry, NH · Member since 2016 · 283 posts · 217 votes
    1y

    @Joshua Bragado congrats on starting your journey and I’m happy to hear this story resonated with you. I’ve gone on to do over 450 transactions since then. The first one is the hardest. Let me know if you need any help along the way. Best of luck and keep pushing. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.