A New Wholesaling Journey Begins...

A New Wholesaling Journey Begins...

Wholesaler • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 1 vote

After months of quietly gathering information from BP and other sources... 2 weeks ago, I decided to break away from the throngs of other wannabe real estate wholesalers and take action.

I purchased my absentee owner seller leads from Listsource. I setup my voicemail greeting for sellers on Freedom Voice. I carefully crafted my first postcard. Then, the moment of truth... I pulled the trigger and sent out 580 postcards. All this, without so much as a whisper... at least on the internet.

Only now, having taken action, do I feel the right to begin the process of chronicling my journey.

What I will give to you:

- My results and procedures. No B.S.

What I request of you:

- Your honest feedback (I am willing to listen and will do anything to be successful).

Now that things have been established, let's begin.

My current setup:

- 877 # and 3.15 min voicemail greeting for prospective sellers. All calls go to voicemail. All calls get a call back, regardless of whether they leave a voicemail or not.

- 1000 name list of absentee owners. SFR. 10 years + sale date. 1940 or newer build date. No corp. No trusts.

- Small yellow postcard highlighting how working with me will benefit them. My full name is in the body of the postcard text and on the return address. There is no mention of the name of my company on the card, in an effort to make it more personal.

- Spreadsheet to collect data during the call with sellers.

My current results:

Out of 580 postcards sent I got 15 calls. 2 called to say there were not interested. 1 was a realtor that threatened to sue me if I did not make a cash offer within 24 hours. I was not able to reach 4 of them when trying to return their call. 1 was curious about how I got his information. 1 was expecting my voicemail to make an offer on his specific property. 3 were expecting retail. Out of those 3, I referred one that has a 1.3M property to a realtor. If that goes through... I will get 9k on the deal for referring. The listing agreement was sent out yesterday and the seller is reviewing... fingers crossed. 1 I made an offer on, but we couldn't agree on price. The last 2 were from a real estate company and a design firm.

I am actually really pleased with these initial results. If the traditional real estate deal goes through... it will be enough to make for my marketing this whole year.

My next step:

Tomorrow I am sending out another 500 postcards. This batch will have the same 877 # as my first mailing. A week after that, I will send 500 more (to the other half of my list) and this will have a local google voice # with a very basic voicemail " Hi you reached James. If you leave your name and #, I will get back to you as soon as possible".

Based on these results (and I don't mean the quantity of calls, but rather the quality ie. motivation level) I will either use the 877 or local number for future touches.

I strongly believe that multiple touches to the same list is the key to success. I will be touching my list every 8 weeks. Looking to increase my budget so I can market to another list of 1000 every 8 weeks too.

So that's it for now. I look forward to hearing from the community!

1Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y

There are formulas you can create in excel to automate turning "xyz trust 2-3-02" into Dear Xyz Family.

Just grabbed a deal today from a trust. Mail them!!!!

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Westminster, CO · Member since 2014 · 309 posts · 104 votes
    12y

    I'm very interested in seeing your results with each phone #. In general I hear that most people have better results with a local number but I'm not sure I've seen actual data supporting (it's probably here, I just haven't seen it).

    Way to take ACTION!!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Sounds like a great start, nice to see a post where actual movement has occurred instead of 50 posts trying to decide on the right font for a mail piece.

    I've got to ask, why are you avoiding trusts? You are missing deals by skipping those on the lists.

  • Wholesaler · Madison, WI · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Great Start!

    Thank you for sharing your results.

    Can I ask what prompted the realtor to make the threat? I have 350 letters going out this week to out-of-state owners, so we'll see what kind of results I get as well.

    Regarding the referral to the realtor that you made...Do you have a realtor's license? Or how does the referral agreement work between the two of you? I have heard of varying laws regarding receiving referral pay, so I am just curious how it worked for you.

  • Wholesaler • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Thanks for the feedback, guys.

    @Tim G. I'm by no means set on that as a rule. My only reason for taking them out was to avoid the tedious task of tracking down the real owners name of the trust via public records. I thought addressing the card to the name of the trust may be awkward.

    @Jordyn Pfeiffer The realtor claimed that I knew the property had been listed in the MLS a day or so before my mailing went out. He wanted to sue for trying to prospect a client that had an exclusive listing agreement. Since I'm fairly certain this is not illegal, just against the realtor code, I took it as an empty threat and went about my business.

    Regarding the referral.... I gave the lead to my girlfriend and her partner. They co-list the property and split the commission. I then will split her portion of the commission for giving her the lead. I'm sure there is a more elegant, and legal, way of doing this... so I'll have to look into it more. I'm just focused on getting things done and not letting anything hold me up at this point.

  • Wholesaler · Madison, WI · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Great points. It can be hard not to get caught up in the minute details. Jump and figure the rest out later.

    Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    There are formulas you can create in excel to automate turning "xyz trust 2-3-02" into Dear Xyz Family.

    Just grabbed a deal today from a trust. Mail them!!!!

  • Wholesaler • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    @Tim G. Thanks for the tip... I had not thought of that. I'm sure I can figure that out this evening. As for trusts... I will be including them in my lists from today forward.

    I'm going to purchase an additional 3000 sellers today to complete my total list of 4000 sellers for the year. The list will be split into 4 groups of 1000 sellers each. I will send 1000 postcards out every two weeks so that each of the 4 groups will be touched once every 8 weeks using a message that builds on the previous. This total list size is based on the current maximum amount I can allocate to marketing each month consistently.

    Also, I'm considering using the equity filter (40-100%) for my list purchase today. Have you guys found this to be an essential addition to your filter criteria?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Metro-Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 16 votes
    12y
    Approximately how much is each touch? Mix between letters and postcards? What mail service are you using? Excited to see your progress.
  • Wholesaler • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    @Thomas I. Not sure what you mean by "how much is each touch". For now, I am just sticking with postcards exclusively. I am using Click2Mail for my mailings.

    Action update:

    The mailing that I ordered on Monday should be going out today. In the first group I sent out 479 using my 877# with a 3.15 minute voicemail explaining what I do. The second group had 487 and used my local google voice number with a very simple voicemail asking for the sellers name, number, and address of the property they are looking to sell. I am looking to see if the 877# or the local number will provide a better quality lead. I realize that it is a small sample size, but if I can notice any difference between the two groups... I will definitely be happy.

    Things I will be tracking:

    Date, Group #, Touch #, pieces sent, total calls, motivation avg, offers sent, wholesale deals, RE leads sent out

    You can never improve if you do not test.

    For the motivation average, I will be scoring each caller on a 1-3 scale. 1 is little motivation, 2 is medium, and 3 is highly motivated.There are 4 groups of 1000 sellers each. Each group is sent out every 8 weeks (so one mailing every 2 weeks). I want to track the results from each group and each touch for that group separately in an effort to visually see where the most action happens (most deals), with respect to the touch number.

    I also want to track how many offers it takes, on average, to secure a wholesale deal. I want to use this as a way to gauge my negotiation skills and how they improve over time.

    That's it for now. I will update after some calls start coming in over the next few days.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Metro-Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    @James Case By "touch", I simply meant each time a seller is sent a marketing piece. How much are your postcards running?

  • Wholesaler • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Gotcha. Each touch for one of the four groups is around $450.

  • Dev HornPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Our marketing is a bit different because we emphasize our branding, but I can tell you we put the investors PICTURE, local phone number, and the 877 number on every piece. Our brand is our website so it's obvious that they could contact us there as well.

    So, what have we discovered? Sellers responded better to pieces that had the investors picture (we stole that idea from RE agents) and they call the LOCAL NUMBER more that 95% of the time.

    We use different local numbers to track different pieces and lists, so we can optimize our campaigns.

    You're on a great track - thanks for sharing and stay the course!

    “You know what my favorite part of the game is? The opportunity to play.” ~ Mike Singletary

  • Real Estate Agent · Attleboro, MA · Member since 2014 · 91 posts · 15 votes
    12y

    Friends,

    Excellent thread! I'm putting together a list to mail out this week myself. I have a question. What is the scrip you use for your voice mail message? Any ideas? Thanks.

  • Real Estate Investor · Piscataway, NJ · Member since 2012 · 167 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @James Case Congratulations and I wish you success. Keep at it, keep us posted on your progress.

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @James Case:
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.

    @Tim G. I'm by no means set on that as a rule. My only reason for taking them out was to avoid the tedious task of tracking down the real owners name of the trust via public records. I thought addressing the card to the name of the trust may be awkward.

    @Jordyn Pfeiffer The realtor claimed that I knew the property had been listed in the MLS a day or so before my mailing went out. He wanted to sue for trying to prospect a client that had an exclusive listing agreement. Since I'm fairly certain this is not illegal, just against the realtor code, I took it as an empty threat and went about my business.

    Regarding the referral.... I gave the lead to my girlfriend and her partner. They co-list the property and split the commission. I then will split her portion of the commission for giving her the lead. I'm sure there is a more elegant, and legal, way of doing this... so I'll have to look into it more. I'm just focused on getting things done and not letting anything hold me up at this point.

    I don't know about CA law, but here in Florida giving a referral fee to a non-licensed person is definitely not allowed.

    As for soliciting someone that has their property listed, that on the other hand shouldn't be a problem if you don't have a license.

  • Investor · Lexington, SC · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    Very interesting discussion here. I, too have just taken the plunge and speaking to @Dev Horn comment about local number responses, I have had great results. I haven't tried the alternative but my phone rang off the hook with putting a local number on the card. I sent out 464 letters and have gotten at least 50 calls, stopped counting as I was not prepared for that level of response though I am sure to call every single number back and document leads. Keep us posted on your progress.

  • John HornerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y
    Just my opinion, the 3 min message is way too long. Why bore people and force then to hang up. If you're calling them all back anyway it doesn't matter. You will get way more messages if you use a simple message.
  • Wholesaler • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    @Dev Horn That is definitely interesting. I will consider including a photo on a future mailing... I have to get a professional photo taken. As far as using a local #... that is what I'm doing for all future mailings. I also created a simple 3 page website (lead form, page explaining the process, and a contact form). It makes sense to give people a low commitment way (some people are shy) to give me their details. And I'm definitely going to stay the course... there is no other option as I have burnt the bridge back to mediocrity behind me haha.

    @Clary C. Thanks, Clary. I'm just using a very simple voicemail now... I ask for their name, number, and address of the property they want to sell.

    @Abdul R. Thanks, Abdul.

    @Stefanie Bergmann Thanks for your input, Stefanie.

    @Cale Ferguson I acknowledge you on taking action. Congrats.

    Action update:

    My last mailing was... a learning experience. I tried completely different text on my postcard. Looking back, I focused on features, not benefits. No big deal, time to test something else.

    I sent out 966 cards and got 5 calls. One call was from a guy that wanted about 500k, ARV was $550k. Loan balance was 395k. I made him an offer of 400k. I'm pretty sure he felt insulted and said no thanks, bye. Maybe it would have been better to send that lead out for a traditional deal since I knew he was expecting retail.

    2 calls were people just curious and wanted above market. I offered to connect them with a realtor with lots of buyers. One said they would think about selling in the next 6 months, the other already has a realtor.

    One call was from an elderly man that knew very little about his property as he kept asking his wife for basic details. He owes 98k and the ARV is 135k. He wants to get rid of it because it's losing money each month. The property manager rents it to 2 of her friends for $700/month. He said he would gather more info and that I could call him back on Monday the 21st. I'm not quite sure what to do with this one... wholesaling it is out, so I'm leaning toward sending it out to a realtor.

    Lastly, a lady called me to say she wasn't interested in selling, but her neighbor was. I asked her to take the postcard to her neighbor and if a deal came out of it I would give her $500.

    What's next:

    The mailing for group 2 (of 4 total groups) goes out on Monday. I'll be using totally different language on the card. I'll be using a local number and adding the website I built today to make sure I'm not missing any possible shy leads. That's all for now. I look forward to your feedback.

  • Wholesaler • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    @John Horner I agree. I ditched the long VM in favor of a short and simple message. If they want to know about the process before calling, my website is on the postcard.

  • John HornerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    @James Case , nice!

    I actually just sent out my 6th mailer and for the first time put our website on the postcard. I did not get very good results. We got a much lower call rate, a very high website spike during the 3 days the mailer hit but not a single form submission on the website.

    I think I am going to stick to a single form of contact on the mailer from now on.

  • Wholesaler • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    @John Horner Thanks for your feedback, John.

    Has anyone else experienced the same phenomenon?

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    If wholesalers would be honest with the seller it would go a long way. Forget about that Google voice crap and get a cheap cell phone and answer the phone when someone call. When the phone ring answer the phone with your complete name or business name and if it is a seller ask the seller when can you stop by and see the property and let the seller know upfront you are not the buyer and you have buyers in your network.

    I am not bashing just a honest way of doing business.

    Joe Gore

  • John HornerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed , love the idea, but just not possible for some people, like myself. I still work a full-time day job, and we sent out 5500 mailers this month on top of PPC and SEO to multiple websites as well as other marketing channels.

    All this to say I have WAY more calls coming in then I can personally answer. I used to let them go to voicemail and call them back but now I have an answering service answer with my business name, take some basic info and I call them back when available.

    The bottom line is that it's a numbers game and to get those numbers to come in you have to automate your business at some point.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hagerstown, MD · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 107 votes
    12y
    John Horner do you mind me asking which answering service you selected? Feel free to PM if you want.
  • Appraiser · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 162 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    Great thread @James Case !

    Any update on how things have been going?? What results have you come up with in the past few months?

    Thanks man

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.