Meeting With Potential Mentor. How Can I Add Value?

Meeting With Potential Mentor. How Can I Add Value?

Wholesaler · Beaumont CA · Member since 2025 · 8 posts · 2 votes

Hello everyone! I am meeting with a possible mentor this coming Monday and I need some advice.

I got my name out there to basically everyone I know and I was lucky enough to get referred to a highly experienced local real estate professional.

He does it all from Wholesaling, to Renting, to Flipping, etc. I'm eager to learn while also bringing value to his business however I can.

My question though is how can I best offer my assistance to him in order to make it a win win situation for both of us. I want to help in any way I can and I already have some ideas like helping as a showing assistant, physical labor, cold calling, and scouting out properties for his buisness.

For those of you who have mentored or have been mentored what some useful tasks I can offer that would help a busy investor.

Any responses and tips are greatly appreciated!

1Reply
173 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
9mo

You can't. Mentorship is not transactional. 

And someone who is at a level and position to be a mentor, they will do it because they want to, not because they get something out of it. We love the game and we like seeing young investors succeed thats it. Offering to buy someone food in exchange for what made them wealthy does not come across the way it is probably meant to land. Offering labor is similar, but really not necessary. If a mentor wants you to do work, they will tell you and it's probably so they have a better opportunity to coach you.

Think of it this way: a 6 year old neighbor kid wants you to teach him how to ride his bike. It will take a few weeks. He offers you a candy bar in exchange. Or to "help" you or wash your car. Would you let him wash your car? Or just teach him, because you want to?

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2024 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    9mo

    i think that helping with a pipeline of potential deals would be really helpful as its all about finding the perfect deal, the more the chances the faster it is to scale 

    • Wholesaler · Beaumont CA · Member since 2025 · 8 posts · 2 votes
      9mo

      @Yousef Hossam For sure I completely agree. The two main ways I have been finding leads have been driving for dollars and cold calling off FSBO Zillow leads. I focus more on fixer uppers so deals are usually not too hard to come by. Other than Zillow and driving for dollars, what other methods would you suggest in regards to finding leads?

  • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2024 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    9mo

    Driving for dollars and cold calling are the most efficient ways to find properties besides online ads and digital presence, you can utilize these strategies in a way to scale, think of it this way 
    if its only you doing this effort to achieve the result x so how about 3 doing your strategy, what about if i integrated AI to cut time during searching ? or in through the outreach ? or even assessing the numbers?
    so structure your strategy where it can be teachable for others to do the same, or to maximize efficiency, its not just about cold calling or driving for dollars, its about your assessment and how you think of the property you try to lock in. 

    • Wholesaler · Beaumont CA · Member since 2025 · 8 posts · 2 votes
      9mo

      @Yousef Hossam Thank you for the advice! System=consistency. By building a solid system I can increase my deal flow. Going forward I should be thinking more like a business owner. Thank you again for the advice.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9mo

    You can't. Mentorship is not transactional. 

    And someone who is at a level and position to be a mentor, they will do it because they want to, not because they get something out of it. We love the game and we like seeing young investors succeed thats it. Offering to buy someone food in exchange for what made them wealthy does not come across the way it is probably meant to land. Offering labor is similar, but really not necessary. If a mentor wants you to do work, they will tell you and it's probably so they have a better opportunity to coach you.

    Think of it this way: a 6 year old neighbor kid wants you to teach him how to ride his bike. It will take a few weeks. He offers you a candy bar in exchange. Or to "help" you or wash your car. Would you let him wash your car? Or just teach him, because you want to?

    • Wholesaler · Beaumont CA · Member since 2025 · 8 posts · 2 votes
      9mo

      @Marcus Auerbach That's a great perspective, I never thought of it that way. Thank you for your response and i'll keep that example in mind going forward!

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    Regardless of mentoring being transactional or not I do appreciate your graciousness and wanting to assist or at least not be a cumbersome undertaking. I suspect you will go far in this life! 

    • Wholesaler · Beaumont CA · Member since 2025 · 8 posts · 2 votes
      9mo

      @Jules Aton Thank you that means a lot! I'm committed to this for the rest of my life and ready to learn everything I can along the way.

    • Nathan FisherBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2020 · 306 posts · 261 votes
      9mo
      Quote from @Jules Aton:

      Regardless of mentoring being transactional or not I do appreciate your graciousness and wanting to assist or at least not be a cumbersome undertaking. I suspect you will go far in this life! 


      The non transactional point is great, and a good mentor would want him to get into the field when he's ready. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 826 posts · 810 votes
    9mo

    Add value by listening intently and not taking his time for granted. They are mentoring not because they can financially gain from you, but rather to impart knowledge. 

    come up with good questions and prepare for sessions by clarifying lessons from prior sessions. A true mentor will find satisfaction from seeing the mentee grow and succeed. 

    • Wholesaler · Beaumont CA · Member since 2025 · 8 posts · 2 votes
      9mo

      @Allan C. Thank you for the response! It's good to know great mentors are focused more on development then money alone. I'll make sure I come prepared with thought out questions and take advantage of this opportunity. 

  • Specialist · Member since 2025 · 82 posts · 31 votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Tyrus Murguia:

    Hello everyone! I am meeting with a possible mentor this coming Monday and I need some advice.

    I got my name out there to basically everyone I know and I was lucky enough to get referred to a highly experienced local real estate professional.

    He does it all from Wholesaling, to Renting, to Flipping, etc. I'm eager to learn while also bringing value to his business however I can.

    My question though is how can I best offer my assistance to him in order to make it a win win situation for both of us. I want to help in any way I can and I already have some ideas like helping as a showing assistant, physical labor, cold calling, and scouting out properties for his buisness.

    For those of you who have mentored or have been mentored what some useful tasks I can offer that would help a busy investor.

    Any responses and tips are greatly appreciated!

    Congrats on lining up that meeting, that already shows great initiative.

    If you want to bring real value, focus on taking time-consuming tasks off his plate: lead pre-screening, running basic comps, driving for dollars, photos/videos, or simple follow-ups.
    Most investors care more about reliability than experience, so if you show up consistently, you’ll be a huge asset.

    Good luck. Great opportunity ahead!

    • Wholesaler · Beaumont CA · Member since 2025 · 8 posts · 2 votes
      9mo

      @Sara Joe Thank you for the tip! I totally agree and i'll focus on being reliable and useful to his buisness.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.