New to wholesaling any tips

New to wholesaling any tips

Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 1 vote
Hey everyone, I’m fairly new to wholesaling and I’m based in SWFL. I’ve been learning how to analyze deals, build a cash buyer list, and find off-market properties, but I’m still trying to get better at the process. I’d really appreciate any tips from people who have been doing this for a while especially on finding motivated sellers, building relationships with buyers, and getting that first deal closed.
1Reply
398 views

Most Popular Reply

Divin KanyamaBusiness Member
Accountant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2025 · 323 posts · 117 votes
1d

@Franko Blanco You’re already focused on the right things, and that’s a great start. Rather than searching for the “perfect” lead source, build a simple process you can follow consistently. Motivated sellers can come from driving for dollars, tired landlords, inherited properties, referrals, or older leads. Respond quickly, ask good questions, and keep following up—many sellers simply are not ready on the first call.
With buyers, quality matters more than quantity. Learn each buyer’s preferred areas, price range, property condition, and closing timeline. Local meetups, investor-friendly agents, recent cash-sale records, landlords, and rehabbers can all be good connections. A few dependable buyers are more valuable than a long list of unqualified contacts.
For the first deal, stay conservative with repairs and value, leave enough room for the buyer, and only promise timelines you can meet. A Florida attorney or title company familiar with assignments and double closings can also help guide the paperwork and disclosures.
Keep learning, stay organized, and follow up consistently. Everyone starts somewhere, and you’re likely closer to that first deal than you think.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    3d

    The only person I ever knew whom I’d consider a successful wholesaler (lots claim success, some are profitable but have no sustainability or spend way too much time for each dollar earned) SPECIALIZED in MHP and RV Parks in Texas only. She became the go to expert and we financed a couple of transaction for her. Her minimum fee for an assignment was $25,000, and made as much s $100,000 on a large transaction. Btw, she probably would have done just as well as a broker specializing in same.

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
    • Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 1 vote
      2d

      @Don Konipol 

      Appreciate the insight. That actually makes sense. I’m still figuring out what niche I want to focus on, but right now I’m mainly looking at distressed single-family properties around SWFL. Do you think specializing in one type of property early on is better than trying to learn everything at once?

  • Specialist · Texas - DFW · Member since 2026 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    2d

    Hey Franko, I'm also somewhat new to wholesaling but would love to connect with you and pick each other brains! I just sent you a connect feel free to dm me!

  • Wholesaler · Charleston WV · Member since 2026 · 241 posts · 130 votes
    1d

    Franko, I’d start by getting really good at one property type in a small area. Distressed single-family homes in SWFL is a starting point, but narrow it down to a few neighborhoods you can learn inside and out.

    Talk to active buyers before you spend much money chasing sellers. Find out where they’re buying, what condition they’ll take on, and what makes a deal work for them. A list of names isn’t nearly as useful as a handful of buyers you actually know.

    With sellers, focus on understanding their situation instead of jumping straight to an offer. Be consistent with your follow-up and honest about what you can do.

    For that first deal, don’t force the numbers just to get something under contract. Get someone experienced locally to check your comps and repair estimate. Learning why a deal doesn’t work can save you a lot of time and money.

    What’s your biggest hurdle right now—finding sellers, figuring out the numbers, or connecting with buyers?

    • Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 1 vote
      19h

      @Travis Goodwin Thank you for taking the time to write this for me Travis, my biggest challenges are honestly finding and connecting with sellers, and I also tend to underwire myself out of deal because I run the numbers to conservatively.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2025 · 34 posts · 10 votes
    1d

    @Franko Blanco , I 100% agree with @Travis Goodwin that is exactly what I did when I got started. When you're low on cash and can't risk losing capital it's better to be precise and accurate and that is a result of narrowing your focus. Also, on getting the first deal closed, I'd work out whether you're assigning the contract or buying and reselling before you settle on your numbers. If you're double closing, the difference between your purchase and resale prices isn't all profit. Get the costs for both closings and the funding quote into that calculation.

    We fund transactional double closes in-house, so I'd also want to know how your end buyer is paying and what's still outstanding before their money is ready. I can help you work through that part. You don't want to find out at the last minute that the buyer needs more time than your funding allows.

  • Divin KanyamaBusiness Member
    Accountant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2025 · 323 posts · 117 votes
    1d

    @Franko Blanco You’re already focused on the right things, and that’s a great start. Rather than searching for the “perfect” lead source, build a simple process you can follow consistently. Motivated sellers can come from driving for dollars, tired landlords, inherited properties, referrals, or older leads. Respond quickly, ask good questions, and keep following up—many sellers simply are not ready on the first call.
    With buyers, quality matters more than quantity. Learn each buyer’s preferred areas, price range, property condition, and closing timeline. Local meetups, investor-friendly agents, recent cash-sale records, landlords, and rehabbers can all be good connections. A few dependable buyers are more valuable than a long list of unqualified contacts.
    For the first deal, stay conservative with repairs and value, leave enough room for the buyer, and only promise timelines you can meet. A Florida attorney or title company familiar with assignments and double closings can also help guide the paperwork and disclosures.
    Keep learning, stay organized, and follow up consistently. Everyone starts somewhere, and you’re likely closer to that first deal than you think.

    • Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 1 vote
      19h

      @Divin Kanyama Thanks, that end bit was very moving. I'll keep grinding and I'll update yall when I lock in my first deal.🔥🔥

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.