RE wholesaling in Florida is highly illegal?

RE wholesaling in Florida is highly illegal?

Winter Park, FL · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 26 votes

Hello all. After many hours/weeks of research and communication with members on BP, I decided to go ahead and get my RE license for different reasons that will aid my personal goals in RE investing. I was considering starting out in wholesaling which is why I started research on doing it without a license.

Now, whether you operate as a wholesaler with or without a RE license is your business, I'm not here to judge. To each their own.

However, in studying for the RE exam, of course I am now being exposed to tons of FL - RE laws, etc and I ran across an interesting piece of information. See below:

*****Florida Real Estate License Law requires that an individual who, for another, in Florida , for Compensation* or valuable consideration will need a real estate license if they perform any of the following when dealing with real property:

  • Appraises
  • Auctions
  • Sells
  • Exchanges
  • Rents
  • Negotiates a sale
  • Advertises or represents as an individual involved in the real estate business, through either oral or written representation
  • Procures sellers, purchasers, lessors, business enterprises or business opportunities
  • Closes any transaction which results in or is calculated to result in a sale or exchange and who expects to receive ANY compensation or valuable consideration

Real property or real estate means any interest or estate in land, or enterprise or business opportunity, including any assignment, leasehold, sub-leasehold or mineral rights. It does not include a cemetery lot or right of burial in any cemetery; nor does it include the renting of a mobile home lot or recreational vehicle mobile home park or travel park.

*Compensation is anything of value, paid, received, or expected to be paid or received or remuneration for services rendered.***** 

I know many will have different opinions as to what this means, but in my understanding, it seems as though wholesaling without a license is indeed illegal in FL.

I understand that many insist, "We are not selling properties, we are selling "equitable interest" in a property to another investor"... Sure, but at the end of the day, you are going into a binding contract with a seller under the "pretense" of an investor/buyer, "knowing" that you are not interested in buying and therefore that constitutes a "Business Opportunity", or "Negotiating of a sale", no?

Either way, it does not matter what others do, I am concerned with what I do. But, I would like to hear what others on BP have to say about this as I am new to the entire RE industry.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

4Reply
879 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Irmo, SC · Member since 2012 · 106 posts · 90 votes
9y

I worked as a wholesaler in the DC area for about 3 years and closed 9 deals in that time. For most of the time, I was unlicensed. I got my license towards the end but found it pretty useless as a wholesaler and never did anything as an agent. 

I am confused: how does one use one's RE license to wholesale? The whole idea behind wholesaling is that as a wholesaler, you are representing your own interest and not the interest of anyone else in the transaction, not the seller, not the end buyer. As a RE agent, you are representing some other party in the transaction with a legal obligation to work for that person's best interest. You can't do both in the same transaction. Even as a wholesaler with an RE license, you have to make sure the seller and buyer understand that you are not working on their behalf but on your own behalf.

As for wholesalers being shady, that is a character trait, not an occupational trait. RE agents can be shady. And getting your RE license in not a substitution for training or a sign of competence in real estate. It means you passed a background check and a test (although I will allow that that does have its own value). If your argument is against lack of training or ethics or both, then your argument is not with wholesalers but with human nature.

See this reply in the discussion

150 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Marty True  total BS  realtors are not trying to sell for 10k more and make a whopping 600 bucks.. that's BS to the extreme think of another thing realtors do  to feather their pockets  LOL

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Ned Carey:

    @James Barnhart one of your posts above seems to indicate that without an Appropriate EMD a contract may not be valid. I have never found an attorney that could answer this question. Is an EMD even necessary to form a contract?

    Why is the promise of a seller to sell at a given price and terms valid consideration yet the promise to buy at a given price and terms not just as valid consideration in return? In all my laypersons study of contract law and consideration, an "earnest money deposit" has never been mentioned. Even within the context of agent licensing classes.

    From Nolo Press Website

    Very true, in that context are they speaking of contracts, like a contract to buy peaches or are they talking about real estate?

    Look up "offer" and "acceptance" by the owner/seller.

    What I mentioned about an owner being indemnified for a loss seems to be the guide. 

    It's "put your money where your mouth is or where your offer is" showing good faith.

    In my layperson experience, I've seen on several occasions where 1. a contract was kicked out because it lacked a reasonable good faith deposit or EM was not given; 2. additional EM was required for the court to allow the contract to go forward, this was in Bankruptcy Court as well.

    Let's not forget, for these issues to arise, generally, the contract is being contested, there is some question as to validity, there are many factors that considered in concert when there is a breach of contract, in my layperson opinion, we need to consider the size and scope of the transaction, the circumstances, intent, are the parties dealing in their best interest and on a somewhat level playing field? Is there really a serious offer or is someone acting on a lark, is the deal customary in that area?

    If the parties agree to move forward, the sufficiency question won't be an issue, it's when they don't agree. From that, then my question would be...why enter a contract that may not be enforced, especially if I was getting a great deal? (Great deals have a way of unraveling).   

    IMO, this should have been covered in any class for agents, suggesting to your client to accept an offer that fails to close can cause financial harm to your client. Additionally, in those cases where an attorney represented an owner, or an estate, offers without sufficient EM are rejected until that offer is made with a significant EM deposit, it's just not prudent for a seller to accept basically nothing or just a promise in real estate transactions.          

    And, the sufficiency of your EM isn't just considered by the judge, when regulators are viewing aspects of conduct and validity of contracts there will be a determination there as well. If everyone will recall that Ohio Wholesaling video with the regulators, the sufficiency of the EM was also questioned, or noted as insufficient questioning validity and intent.

    I think that much of this really hinges on what is usual and customary in your area, enforcing a real estate sale contract or viewing its validity will most likely be judged as to what is generally acceptable. Since "investor deals" don't drive what is common like conventional transactions off the MLS, the operator types are at a disadvantage when they get too creative or stray away from the norm. Dealing in real property is different than dealing in personal property, that's true everywhere. :)

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    @Kevin Scott

    Assigning IS legal in many instances. I have turned down assignments when I was not licensed. I entered into them with the intent of closing...and I did close but could have legally made several grand and walked. 

    @Ned Carey

    I believe it may have been the head legal counsel for FAR that opinionated that a contract, even with no EMD, IS enforceable. However, I believe anyone involved in RE that writes contracts with NO EMD and only assigning IS using it as a trick to market the property. I am fairly confident that I could enter a contract today with no EMD, and still force the seller to close. However, MOST sellers would balk with no EMD, and may would balk at $20, etc that had little consequence if I just walked away.

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 227 posts · 106 votes
    9y

    @Jay Hinrichs I have no idea what you're comment was in reference to but I didn't say anything about "10k more" or "600 bucks" so maybe you confused me with another poster?

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Scott:

    "..........  But there is nothing in that law that says you can't assign.  It actually gives rules to abide by if you want to assign your contract.     

    "however, this section shall not apply to irrevocable gifts, to unconditional contracts to purchase, or to options based upon a substantial consideration actually paid and not subject to any agreements to return or right of return reserved."    

    The however gives you right to assign.  Similar to Washington.  Contracts become unconditional at the point where conditions have been met.  To avoid any confusion just make the contracts unconditional from the beginning.  This shows full intent to close.  If you don't close just forfeit your earnest money.  

    Sure intending just to assign your contract is should be considered brokering but anyone can get a loan these days for a property that is under contract at the right price so having the means to close is easy to prove.  Its the intent.  The law hasn't gone so far as to punish someone that thought they could close by not allowing them to assign their contract if everything goes bad (that hurts the seller and buyer) or for that matter it still allows someone who decides to sell their contract for a better price on occasion that they have a strong network.

    The main thing is that people that wholesale (this is what they should call themselves vs wholesalers) should always have this as an option.  They should buy intending to close but if they have a quick option so to sell their c"

     I think this logic, while pretty much correct, causes confusion for wholesalers, that certain contracts may be assigned and doing so is legal and done ethically, that's not the issue.

    If a buyer has full intent to close as stated and has the ability to close, that is much less of an issue, we certainly have a right to change our mind and take any opportunity that may arise after the contract has been made. 

    That's not where wholesalers are, they do not have the intent to close as agreed when they make that contract, most don't have the ability to buy either. 

    All RE contracts are made on conditions, no such thing as an unconditional contract in real estate and such doesn't really prove "intent".

    Repeating much from other threads, 

    For those who think "intent" can't be proven or shown by doing or not doing some thing or by agreement, that's incorrect.

    There are legal aspects of "intent" that don't need to be shown or proven, the law makes the assumption under certain cases, often dealing with fraud, in other cases intent must be shown.

    There is no better indicator of showing ones intent than to look at their past actions and how they conduct their business, this is pretty easy to discover. 

    There is a difference between a broker who contracts on his behalf to buy and later assigns the contract as a business decision in his best interest and someone who only does contracts to assign as a business, they never close and always attempt to assign the contract. 

    Obviously this is difficult for some to grasp, doing one assignment is perfectly legal and ethical, but doing assignments as a business model or mode of operation is brokering or facilitating transactions because they don't close. It's not the assignment that is is questioned, it's the mode of operation conducting business as an unlicensed broker. The contract assignment is the getaway car, not the robbery. :)  

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    @Marty True

    I know what Jay references. He notes your comment that an agent tries to get the most money for a seller to increase their commission. Actually, unless the deal is double sided, the difference in 10K amounts to $300 for an agent before their split with the brokerage. 

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    @John Thedford, @Bill Gulley That is interesting. Of course as Bill Gully says, it depends on the specific circumstances. Dealing in bad faith (or other reasons) could invalidate a contract. However dealing in bad faith, is the reason, not the lack of EMD.

    Bill I doubt that discussions regarding consideration in a contract during my real estate licensing questions were about buying peaches. 

    I guess I find it an interesting question simply because of my study of what constitutes consideration would in no way imply that an EMD is required. Yet it is commonly belief among agents and others. Yet again I have never had an attorney that could answer the question. I am sure it varies by state and is buried in case law.

    By the way I am in no way suggesting that wholesaling with no EMD is an appropriate practice. It came up for me when I paid an EMD in cash. An attorney for someone who was trying to buy the property out from under me said "There was no consideration." I would hate to lose a contract because I inadvertently for got to give someone the EMD. I have done that before and went back on a second visit to supply the EMD.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    @Ned Carey the peaches were to the Nolo quote posted, not your RE classes, Lol. ;)

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Ned Carey the EMD discussion is interesting.. I was just in a deal in INdy I was buying these three homes for 50k each... and things got a little sideways.. and since I put up no EM broker did not write it in... and since I have literally 20 to 30 contracts flying around on anyone day I did not notice it.

    and my ground partner wanted to pass.. but the seller retained a lawyer and wanted to push the issue that we had a contract.. Now here in Oregon NO EMD and there is no consideration and there is no obligation to follow through.. but apparently in INDY that's not the case.

    I did not push it any further as my guy was good with closing so I did... although the lawyer wanted to cut my agent out.. and I told the Lawyer so you want me to be unrepresented sitting here in Oregon. I don't think so your going to have to pay my agent or your client can try to bring an action.

    they paid my agent... my agent owes me dinner next time I am in town... LOL

  • Carpenter · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Hey guys I know I'm a couple days late on your post topic, I'm a newbie to REI and wholesaling in Florida is where I like to start my career in REI. My question is when someone has their RE license (Sales Associate) as an Wholesale investor will it still be illegal to get deals under contract? It seems like I'll be acting as a unlicensed broker right? Please let me know maybe I'm missing out on the perks on getting a license as a wholesale investor.

  • Homeowner · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 358 posts · 65 votes
    9y
    Can a non licensed person open a brokerage and hire a broker and then get new agent? The main point is this non licensed brokerage owner uses agent license to do HUD bidding? I know one is doing this. FL market is very interesting.
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    @Huiping S.

    Yes a non-licensee can hire a broker and open a mortgage. The non-licensee cannot perform any RE services.

  • Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2012 · 462 posts · 200 votes
    9y

    I respect what guys like @John Thedford and @Bill Gulley have to say, but I disagree here. I'm not a wholesaler, and know quite a few sleezy ones, but I also know a handful of good ones who provide value both to sellers and prospective buyers.

    1) Wholesaling exists in every type market. There are car wholesalers, food wholesalers. It's part of the capitalistic system. Buying homes for less than retail value isn't going away.

    2) Buying and selling homes is not illegal. It may change how I am taxed at the end of the year, but I can buy and sell as many homes as I'd like. I don't have to do a thing to them. If I were to wholesale and was concerned about laws, I would double close all my deals. 

    3) If I hire someone as an acquisitions manager and pay them to go put properties under contract for me and I pay them based on their performance- how does this differ from the task of a wholesaler.They are completing the same task a wholesaler would and being compensated the same way.  This is not illegal and this type of activity also exists in nearly every other type of market. (Food, clothing, Automobiles, etc.)

    4) I would never take advantage of someone, however  the term "stealing equity" is just silly. You're telling me you've never had equity in any deal you've ever bought ? According to the definition in previous posts here, that would be considered stealing equity and unethical.  By this definition one could argue that any time a profit was made, it'd be "stealing equity".  It's called capitalism. 

    To categorize all wholesaling activity as illegal and all wholesalers as thieves and crooks is quite silly. Perhaps you've had bad experiences, but let's not assume all are operating this way.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    The term "wholesale" as used by wanna-be real estate investors is nothing like car wholesalers or food wholesalers. The term is one of those misused terms that came about because gurus needed something better than "unlicensed broker". Car wholesalers are licensed auto dealers. Buying and selling homes also makes you a dealer in real estate.

  • Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2012 · 462 posts · 200 votes
    9y

    @Chris Martin

    By definition the term wholesale doesn't change from industry to industry. The requirements to be a wholesaler may change, but the idea remains the same.  A "dealer in real estate" only matters to the IRS. That does not mean you need licensing. 

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    No. What gurus did is misuse a retail business term in their own self interest of selling a dream. In my posts, I generally quote the term "wholesale" because I know it is a misused term. For clarity on the use of the concept of "wholesale", you can look it up in your state's statute or you can look at what NC says (similar to some other states) about its use:

    The only real application in NC for wholesaler is a mobile home wholesale dealer who buys direct from a manufacturer and sells to MHP or developers, not the public. Selling a single property to a retail end customer is not a wholesale activity.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    The term "wholesaler" is widely used to imply value. The is most often not the case. Unlicensed brokers would never admit they use purchase contracts as a means to subvert laws and as a listing contract so they call themselves "wholesalers". We have a retail jeweler in SW Florida that commonly claims "wholesale prices", however, their prices are anything but. To those that use a purchase contract as a listing agreement, they are indeed frauds at best and most are in violation of state law. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Brit Foshee  as long as they are closing on the property and reselling your absolutely correct.

    I think were this gets fuzzy is when they have websites up with pictures of houses bed bath descriptions and then they just want to assingn the contract...

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    get on title people! Then resell.

  • Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2012 · 462 posts · 200 votes
    9y

    @Chris Martin

    Gurus didn't invent the term wholesaling. I appreciate the witch hunt you're on, but not all "gurus" are bad and neither are all wholesalers. 

    I'm not really a fan of either, but generalizations are not helpful.

  • Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2012 · 462 posts · 200 votes
    9y

    @John Thedford

    I'm not disagreeing but to dismiss all wholesaling activity as illegal is incorrect.

    Not to be dismissed- The Florida bar has assingabilty language in it's Far-Bar contract.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    Here is a perfect example from BP:
    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/93/topics/395...

    This is not in FL..but typical of many of these frauds.

  • Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2012 · 462 posts · 200 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @John Thedford:

    Here is a perfect example from BP:
    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/93/topics/395...

    This is not in FL..but typical of many of these frauds.

     He's clearly been misguided.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    @Brit Foshee

    Real estate laws (and financial) laws often don't follow a path of logical thinking, trying to apply business applications we use in personal property will take you down the wrong path with real property.

    Your 1. ; houses aren't cans of beans, car wholesalers (dealers) do need a state license.

             2. Buying means closing, so long as you have good funds to buy you can sell 30 seconds later, no problem, but you can't use the end buyers escrow money anymore.

             3. Correct, you can have an employee, but not on strict commission, not in real property unless you are a broker. You can pay them ten bucks an hour to find deals, they can contract in your name (not theirs), do some digging in basic real estate principles and you should see why real property is different than personal property.

              4. I didn't make this stuff up, it's predatory dealing in real property, you'll find that capitalistic system is often very socially oriented due to the nature of real property, property rights are more sacred in real property than with your car title, owners are protected much more. Equity stripping is stealing equity or rights of ownership, and you don't buy at a discount from retail, you buy at a market value or a distressed value. And no, when you buy you do not have equity, equity is established over time, minimum of one year for your books after you have an appraisal, otherwise equity is recognized when you sell. Equity for refinancing can be recognized by a lender at 6 months refinancing with an appraisal. 

    If you immediately resell a property at a profit, your purchase was a distressed sale, or if it was at market, you sold at a premium price to a willing and able buyer, that's fine, but to a point so long as your buyer was competent meeting the requirements of the transaction, where you didn't take gross advantage of a buyer.

    Additionally, all investors should be aware of Tort Law, most here are not, as well as predatory dealing.     

    In economics, read the concept of "guns and butter" that might help in seeing the difference between real and personal property and it fits well in capitalism. :) 

  • Freedom, NY · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Does an actual attorney have any input here? I find a great deal of irony that there are brokers and RE agents complaining about unlicensed RE practices, but provide what appear like legal opinions and legal advice without being a lawyer.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.