Can I buy a house from my own LLC?

Can I buy a house from my own LLC?

Real Estate Agent · South Orange, NJ · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 5 votes
This may be a silly question but I am closing on a property in the next week or so in an all cash deal and was wondering about the viability of a different approach to the "BRRR" (BUY, Rehab, Refi, Repeat) method. As a W-2 employee with a strong base salary and credit, would I be able to buy the property from my own LLC and get a mortgage in lieu of a Refi if numbers get tight? just to be clear, I plan to stay as an owner occupant long term.
1Reply
28 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Avilla, IN · Member since 2013 · 796 posts · 769 votes
    9y
    Getting a mortgage and getting a refi are essentially the same...you would be getting a mortgage when you refi. If you want the property in your name you can simply quitclaim deed it to yourself.
  • Financial services executive · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 341 votes
    9y

    For a variety of tax and legal reasons you're better off having your primary in your own name or in a simple living trust than in an LLC. Save the LLC for your investment properties. Congrats on your new home!!

  • Real Estate Agent · South Orange, NJ · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    Thanks for the reply
  • Real Estate Agent · South Orange, NJ · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    @Brandon Hicks if the equity spread is less than 20% can a still refi subject to PMI or am I capped at 20%?
  • Real Estate Agent · South Orange, NJ · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    @Brandon Hicks if the equity spread is less than 20% can a still refi subject to PMI or am I capped at 20%?
  • Investor · Avilla, IN · Member since 2013 · 796 posts · 769 votes
    9y

    That's a question best handled by a mortgage broker or lender @Anthony Greene. 

    Since I only deal with commercial loans and private notes (as a borrower) I'm out of touch on owner-occupant financing programs. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.