Any Wholesalers closing 2-5 deals a month ?

86 Replies

I see a lot of negative comments about wholesaling on here for some reason. So I was just curious is there any wholesalers consistently closing 2-5 deals per month ? If so maybe you can shed some light on your success
Originally posted by @Tyron White :
I see a lot of negative comments about wholesaling on here for some reason. So I was just curious is there any wholesalers consistently closing 2-5 deals per month ? If so maybe you can shed some light on your success

I can't speak to the deal flow/closings but I can tell you why wholesalers get a bad rep, at least in my opinion. 

It's touted by many as the lowest barrier to entry to get into REI when in reality, to be done well, it's likely one of the highest level skillsets out there. You have to be a master marketer and negotiator, know contracts, as well as your market, extremely well including ARV's, rehab and new construction costs, zoning, rental rates, and any other goings-on that may impact values or rents either negatively or positively. You also need to be a master networker to build your buyers list and know who buys what in what areas as well as know how to work through the incredible amount of issues that come up in a transaction like probate, deed fraud, and liens just to name a few. At least in Philadelphia, you may have to deal with and navigate multiple governmental departments. You need to be able to communicate with people from all walks of life and build rapport with them. You need to act with integrity on both sides of the transaction when most wholesalers are lying to the person that they're "buying" from telling them they will personally buy their home in 30 days with cash when in reality they have every intention of walking away if they can't find a buyer, leaving the seller possibly in a terrible financial position.

In my experience, most of the "wholesalers" I run across send a few postcards, hang some plastic trash on telephone poles that neighbors have to clean up eventually, and offer way too much money on a property then call you up and say they've got a "deal" for you. They are clueless as to the costs to purchase a property, hold it, develop it, and sell or rent it, and don't understand why you won't take their amazing "deal" they landed. This just makes it harder for everyone when sellers have a stack of 100 "we buy houses" postcards on their coffee table from everyone that claims to buy houses in cash in 30 days. 

I know that's not the question you asked directly but if you're unaware of why wholesalers get beat up on BP, there's a few reasons off the top of my head for you. 

@Troy S. Yeah I get what you're saying most wholesalers aren't really doing what it takes to be great at actually wholesaling so it suffers a bad rep I get it. Thanks for your insight
Promotion
PassiveInvesting.com
Private Real Estate Syndication Team
ATTENTION: Learn the 7 Red Flags for Passive Apartment Investing
Do you want to learn how to know if you are investing with a good operator? Check this out now.
Read Article Now
Originally posted by @Troy S.:
Originally posted by @Tyron White:

I can't speak to the deal flow/closings but I can tell you why wholesalers get a bad rep, at least in my opinion. 

It's touted by many as the lowest barrier to entry to get into REI when in reality, to be done well, it's likely one of the highest level skillsets out there. You have to be a master marketer and negotiator, know contracts, as well as your market, extremely well including ARV's, rehab and new construction costs, zoning, rental rates, and any other goings-on that may impact values or rents either negatively or positively. You also need to be a master networker to build your buyers list and know who buys what in what areas as well as know how to work through the incredible amount of issues that come up in a transaction like probate, deed fraud, and liens just to name a few. At least in Philadelphia, you may have to deal with and navigate multiple governmental departments. You need to be able to communicate with people from all walks of life and build rapport with them. You need to act with integrity on both sides of the transaction when most wholesalers are lying to the person that they're "buying" from telling them they will personally buy their home in 30 days with cash when in reality they have every intention of walking away if they can't find a buyer, leaving the seller possibly in a terrible financial position.

In my experience, most of the "wholesalers" I run across send a few postcards, hang some plastic trash on telephone poles that neighbors have to clean up eventually, and offer way too much money on a property then call you up and say they've got a "deal" for you. They are clueless as to the costs to purchase a property, hold it, develop it, and sell or rent it, and don't understand why you won't take their amazing "deal" they landed. This just makes it harder for everyone when sellers have a stack of 100 "we buy houses" postcards on their coffee table from everyone that claims to buy houses in cash in 30 days. 

I know that's not the question you asked directly but if you're unaware of why wholesalers get beat up on BP, there's a few reasons off the top of my head for you. 

I agree with you regarding the issues of probate...

there are for sure wholesaling companies doing that volume.. but these are for real companies with offices  large marketing budgets 10 to 30k a month type.. a couple of full time agents working for them.. etc etc. 

someone doing this on their own .. with no support some may do that kind of volume but I think that would be rare.

and it really depends on location in the country.. some areas.. were there are still tons of vacant homes wholesaling can be easier but in areas of very strong markets with no vacant homes to speak of pretty tough to do any volume unless you have aforementioned 10 to 30k a month to spend on multiple marketing approachs.  nothing different than being a small real estate company which is what you are.. sans the license.

@Tyron White I think you will find a wide variation of the volume wholesalers do. However don't be impressed by numbers. Some believe it is better to do fewer really high quality high profit deals than churn out a ton of low profit deals. 

There are a few that do that many deals but I bet most "Wholesalers" never do a deal. The ones that do that high volume have big marketing machines. That is a lot of overhead and they HAVE to do a lot of deals.

Tip, many of those who frequent this forum and offer advice are not wholesalers, have never wholesaled and likely never will. Take that into consideration when reading their responses. A wholesaler needs to please two people, the seller and the buyer. How the internet views them is irrelevant. 

Know your market expertly, create marketing channels and know who pays the most for deals and how to work with them. 

*Closed over $4.5M in wholesales in 2018*

Originally posted by @Tim G. :

Tip, many of those who frequent this forum and offer advice are not wholesalers, have never wholesaled and likely never will. Take that into consideration when reading their responses. A wholesaler needs to please two people, the seller and the buyer. How the internet views them is irrelevant. 

Know your market expertly, create marketing channels and know who pays the most for deals and how to work with them. 

*Closed over $4.5M in wholesales in 2018*

In Ca  that could be 2 to 4 deals  :) in Baltimore that would be 200 plus  from what I see on the huds that fund in that city. 

I'm new with wholesaling, and I became concerned because there is so much information on how to do this, and it seemed like there was so many wanting to do it that my competition was going to be tremendous.  I realised my fears are unfounded because this will not going to be easy.  It will take work, and didication to get past the obstacles and disappointments that I will face to be successful.  Many will decide the price is too high, and move on to something else.  When you look only at the clouds you will not see the sun.

@Jay Hinrichs Yeah but see here's the thing with me if I see one person doing 50 million every year wholesaling such as ( Carlos Reyes & Sal Shakir ) are doing than I know that I can do it. It's just a matter of being committed and consistent at perfecting the craft
Promotion
Speed To Lead
Buy hot seller leads w/o subscription
Buy daily seller leads that are actually ready to sell
Finally there's a place where you can buy leads that asked for urgent help selling their house
@Jay Hinrichs Yeah but see here's the thing with me if I see one person doing 50 million every year wholesaling such as ( Carlos Reyes & Sal Shakir ) are doing than I know that I can do it. It's just a matter of being committed and consistent at perfecting the craft

whats the name of their company and what markets are they working in ?? 

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

there are for sure wholesaling companies doing that volume.. but these are for real companies with offices  large marketing budgets 10 to 30k a month type.. a couple of full time agents working for them.. etc etc. 

someone doing this on their own .. with no support some may do that kind of volume but I think that would be rare.

and it really depends on location in the country.. some areas.. were there are still tons of vacant homes wholesaling can be easier but in areas of very strong markets with no vacant homes to speak of pretty tough to do any volume unless you have aforementioned 10 to 30k a month to spend on multiple marketing approachs.  nothing different than being a small real estate company which is what you are.. sans the license.

Pfffffttttttttt! Here in DFW I gave up on counting over 80 wholesalers of all sizes & shapes, and there are several spending up to $75k a month! $30k is chump change! Well, not really, though compared to trying to compete with them in ultra hot DFW, i waived the white flag and went back to what we do best, buying distressed notes & working them out. 

And I love the comment above that its actually the most challenging and hardest part of RE, vs being a flipper or buy/hold. The overhead wholesaling is steep and if you don't have reserves, you will run out of $ quickly trying to get noticed. One of our first mail campaigns resulted in a wholesale deal, and she had a HUGE stack of cards, letters, and offers from everyone under the sun...

@Ned Carey Why don't you think it's possible ? Homevestors did about $80 million last year so it's definitely possible and they're wholesalers too. I'm not sure what's your experience with wholesaling but yeah there are people doing crazy numbers wholesaling
@Christopher Winkler In your opinion why would it be a good decision to wholesale ? Who is that typical person that should wholesale ? Because me personally I don't have the credit or the money to go get an investment property that's cash flowing. So out of all the niches this one just seems right for me because of my situation. Unless it's something I don't know
@Christopher Winkler In your opinion why would it be a good decision to wholesale ? Who is that typical person that should wholesale ? Because me personally I don't have the credit or the money to go get an investment property that's cash flowing. So out of all the niches this one just seems right for me because of my situation. Unless it's something I don't know

I am no wholesaleing expert, though like the previous poster said, you have to have a lot of skills, marketer, mailing, bandit sign, door knock, meetups, REIA, and educate yourself, ARV for that area, repair costs. Marketing takes money. You have to negoitate with delusional homeowners sometimes, and buyers that don't want to pay more than MAO, maximum allowable offer, 70% of ARV less repairs.

Its possible anywhere, i just could not run a note business AND try to wholesale. It needs 100% attention and you should either partner with another person like you, or with a more experienced flipper/buy & holder who can guide and coach you, and co-invest with yourself. Some great books here on BP on wholesaling, and buying properties with no money down, you just have to be creative. Just saying you can't just send out a couple rounds of post cards and expect to be rich. Like anything, its a marathon, not a sprint. Best of luck to you and Merry Christmas!

I’m a HomeVestors franchise (“We Buy Ugly Houses” guys) and do that many in a month.  We’re not just wholesalers though, I hold a lot and rehab where is makes sense.  Our top office bought over 200 houses last year, so anything is possible, just have to have the right systems and staff support in place.

the reality of this is:   your in a business to bring two parties together on a real estate transaction for compensation. which is basically the definition of a real estate agent .. where a license is required.  

So when folks want to get into real estate sales as a licensed agent. its well known that you need at least a year of living expenses in the bank.. you just don't start and in 5 days your cashing a check..  and as a licensed agent you have many other ways to make money as opposed to wholesaling which you only have one.. finding distressed real estate that an investor will buy.. this is very tough.

ERGO the huge marketing budgets those that are successful have.. however for whatever reason many think the complete opposite .. IE I have little money and no credit so the only way I can get into this game is by wholesaling.  and no doubt you could do a deal here or there. but to equate to the large wholesalers ( which by the way are all licensed brokers )  they are like any other well capitalized company .. you need a lot of capital to get to be a top producer either an agent or a wholesaler. its all sales at the end of the day.

so I think its very big disservice to many folks to promulgate this myth that no money is needed and your going to be a rock star.. and then the guys that get you to put 20k on your credit card because they are going to teach you the secrets. there are no secrets.. you have to make contact with a motivated seller and you have to have staying power and marketing money..   and really what your talking about is being an assigner not a wholesaler a true wholesaler closes on the deals then resells.. if you have no money to buy then your an assignor or a real estate agent making a fee.   Real estate sales is a very tough gig I have been doing it all my adult life.. burn out is at laeat 50% and I would think those that try to assign or wholesale burn out is 90% or more.. I think of all those that post about this on BP and they get all fired up and then 3 months later you never hear from them again.    So no one is saying you cant do it.

But the reality is if your capital constrained and no real experience.. it freaking hard..