Build a Buyers List!!! Really? What about the MLS?

Build a Buyers List!!! Really? What about the MLS?

Residential Real Estate Agent · Mc Keesport, PA · Member since 2012 · 449 posts · 154 votes

Much of what I hear about wholesaling is to build a buyers list and go find properties to fill those buyer's purchasing criteria. In other words, be sort of an order fulfillment company.

However, 98% of property sales are right off of the MLS, and that includes investment properties. I know of alot of investors that buy all their deals right from the MLS. They get deals automatically emailed to them immediately when they come on the market, they analyze them, and submit offers... LOTS of offers! And, low and behold, they end up finding the sellers that are ready to sell cheap.

As a wholesaler, it seems to me that instead of doing all the work to create your own mini-MLS marketplace by building a buyers list, websites, squeeze pages, etc, it would just be easier to tap into the MLS and list your deals there as a net listing. That way, not only will your hardcore investors see your deal (which they will put an offer in on because that's what they do... make offers all day), you will also get exposure to "John," the guy down the street who is still living at home, has a pile of cash, and wants to get out of his parents home but wants to stay local. He, of course, will be willing to pay more than an investor because he is willing to work for free... putting sweat equity into the property to make it how he wants it. Why not list your deals on the MLS and let all these potential buyers bid your property up?

As a side note, I realize that this is by definition no longer wholesaling. Also, I realize it may be hard to get an agent to list homes under these conditions and timelines. I'm a realtor, so on my end, that will certainly help. I have already spoke with my local MLS, and they are okay with an agent doing deals this way, so long as they are net listings. Also, I'm not going to do these transactions in my name, I have a wholesaling LLC set up.

In any case, I'll like some feedback on this subject. I'm not against building a buyers list, and in fact once I get some deals moving I plan to just call the investors before listing deals on the MLS. By why aren't other wholesalers doing business on the MLS? Why are they complicating things? Sorry I wrote a mini book here : )

0Reply
148 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
14y

We list all our wholesales on the MLS and this is how about 50% of them sell. The other 50% sell to investors we have a personal relationship with.

See this reply in the discussion

64 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Covington, LA · Member since 2012 · 517 posts · 317 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Jerry Kisasonak:
    J Scott
    Thanks. I wasn't planning on getting a property under contract that's currently listed on the MLS and then relist it before the original listing closes. I don't think you can do that anywhere, because you essentially would have the same property listed twice on the MLS at the same time. I'm planning on getting deals by other means, like direct mail, bandit signs, craigslist, etc.

    By tying up deals that way (FSBO's), I will be able to immediately list them on the MLS because I have an equitable interest in the property, which grants me the right to market and sell the property if I so choose. I guess to be more specific, if I sell the property I'd do so by double closing, and if I sell the contract I'll just do so by way of assignment.

    If I had the cash on hand, I would just do things the way you are. And I know what you mean about REO being very poorly marketed. The listing agents certainly don't put much thought or time into trying to bring the property's best features to the foreground. Under the "comments" section on the listing they should just put "No comment."

    That's kind of funny that you can just repackage it and resell it for more almost immediately. Kuddos to you : )

    When you do one curious to see how that turns out, please come back and share the info with us. Thanks.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Will Sifert:
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Sorry about any confusion, but I actually purchase the property before I relist it on the MLS. The MLS in my area won't allow a property to be listed except by the owner, so having it under contract to purchase doesn't give me the right to relist it on the MLS.

    As for commissions, I pay 3% to the selling broker (the buyer's agent).

    Why chew up a lot of your profit by having to pay commissions vs having investors ready to buy from you.

    Because I often deal with REOs, where assignment isn't an option, and buying/selling a business entity is too burdensome for my tastes. I like the cleanness and ease of just completing one deal and then doing another, so that the original seller doesn't have to deal with any issues that might arise, or even be aware of my intent to wholesale.

  • Wholesaler · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 659 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by K. Marie Poe:
    Ryan Webber holds that wholesaling means selling for a wholesale price, regardless of how the property is purchased and re-sold.

    Well close. I actually hold that wholesaling must have the discount component and the non-end user component. The non-end user component being that you are reselling to a non-end user (an investor) who will rent or resell the house to someone else. How you purchase or resell doesn't matter, but WHO you resell to would. Assignments, double closings, entity selling, and even closing and reselling are not factors to me in whether you are wholesaling or not.

    Originally posted by K. Marie Poe:
    I don't for a second think I owe rehabbers or landlord buyers any particular discount or price points or potential profit. I do my best to sell everything for what the market will bear. Doesn't matter if it's a pretty house or a major fixer. Doesn't matter what I paid for it. It's up to the buyer to negotiate and buy for a price that makes sense for their purposes.

    I have to admit that I follow a similar idea but just within the context of selling it for the most I can within an exclusive market of serious cash buyers who can close very quickly with absolutely no belly aching. I've learned that what it takes to sell it in that specific market is meat on the bone. So, the game I play is figuring out the smallest amount of meat that I have to leave on the bone and still get serious players to bite.

    I also have no issue with maximizing my profit through retailing a house. Especially, if its that close to retail ready, but I don't hit up my investor buyers with those. I had one earlier this year that way. It was the only house I've ever bought that was absolutely retail ready. No paint, no cleaning, no new carpets, nothing. Well I did have the carpets cleaned after we had a poker party in it, but that was it. That was the only one I've ever bought that way.

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2010 · 72 posts · 21 votes
    14y

    Even though my real estate buying and selling experience for my own account is limited, I have been an auctioneer for the last 13 years. Some of the lowest yielding auctions I have been involved in were those where the ratio of dealers was disproportionally high compared to end users who were bidding. I would submit that the majority of contacts on a buyers list are dealers who will only buy if the deal is a steal. If they can't steal it, they aren't interested. These folks are probably good candidates for trashed out junkers in the hood or houses with big problems. Personally, I have never seen the value in making 3-5% on a deal considering the work and risk involved, and there is risk anytime your name is on a legal document.

    There are better real estate investors out there. They are professionals who are in other fields and are interested in real estate as an investment and not as a business. I have a good friend who is one of these investors. He has purchased 6 houses and 2 condos for rentals all through a buyer's agent off of the MLS. All of the houses needed various work which his property management company happily performed for him. I know him well enough to be confident that his comfort level would never allow him to buy anything without his agent.

    I think the key to success in using the MLS would be in working with a listing agent who understands your philosophy. If you are only interested in cash buyers and selling AS-IS, find an agent who can work within these parameters. As far as tire kickers, it takes less than a minute to write the word NO and send an email. However, I would hate to not have received a full price offer with good earnest money and only a minor contigency that could be quickly resolved because of inflexibility. An open mind and multiple exit strategies is prudent advice for anyone involved in real estate. I am sure that a buyers list may have a place for some in their toolbox, but I can't help but believe that a lot of money is being left on the table for those who use it exclusively.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    George Gray I think you gave a good example of how the MLS can provide a higher paying buyer. I'm work in some CA markets that have always been volatile with lots of out of area buyers. Many out of area buyers just aren't buyer's list material. They buy a few properties a year and they work with a buyer's agent, and they pay more.

    I hope I didn't gloss over the fact that listing a property IS more trouble than offering it to a known cash buyer. It adds more parties to the deal, for one thing. And agents and their buyers push for more and are just simply more annoying and needy than my regular cash buyers. In my experience the price difference is worth it.

  • Wholesaler · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 659 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by George Gray:
    Personally, I have never seen the value in making 3-5% on a deal considering the work and risk involved, and there is risk anytime your name is on a legal document.

    I wouldn't and don't do it 3-5% either. My spreads aren't based on percentages though. Percentage wise my spreads would convert to somewhere between 10-30% of my sell price.

    Originally posted by George Gray:
    There are better real estate investors out there. They are professionals who are in other fields and are interested in real estate as an investment and not as a business. I have a good friend who is one of these investors. He has purchased 6 houses and 2 condos for rentals all through a buyer's agent off of the MLS. All of the houses needed various work which his property management company happily performed for him. I know him well enough to be confident that his comfort level would never allow him to buy anything without his agent.

    This is an excellent point. I also know professionals in other fields that invest in real estate and they won't buy without their agent.

    Originally posted by George Gray:
    I think the key to success in using the MLS would be in working with a listing agent who understands your philosophy. If you are only interested in cash buyers and selling AS-IS, find an agent who can work within these parameters. As far as tire kickers, it takes less than a minute to write the word NO and send an email. However, I would hate to not have received a full price offer with good earnest money and only a minor contigency that could be quickly resolved because of inflexibility. An open mind and multiple exit strategies is prudent advice for anyone involved in real estate. I am sure that a buyers list may have a place for some in their toolbox, but I can't help but believe that a lot of money is being left on the table for those who use it exclusively.

    I think wholesaling to solid cash buyers for so long has really spoiled me, because I would so much rather just work with my buyers. The ease of working with these guys is absolutely wonderful. There's no pretense crap or games like there is with realtors. There is real trust with these guys. Many of them I don't even need a contract with. And I get answers in hours, not days or weeks.

    I'm not fully convinced that there is a significant level of income lost either. Obviously you will be paying commissions, and you will most likely have to close on it. So you will have increased expenses with carrying it. I have listed wholesale deals on the MLS before and I've never been excited about it or had stellar results.

    I did just list one today, though. We'll see how it goes.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Mc Keesport, PA · Member since 2012 · 449 posts · 154 votes
    14y

    Ryan Webber Please keep us posted on your MLS listed property.

    I'm sure that everyone is aware that the MLS is very competitive. This works against us when we are looking to scoop up deeply discounted properties, but it works in our favor when we are looking to sell. It stands to reason that we want as much competition as possible from buyers of our properties. Sure, you can get a sure and quick sale by calling your #1 buyer, but then there's no chance of it getting multiple offers/bid up. Additionally, maybe the market would bear $10K more for the property. You can't really know this for sure unless you expose it to the market, a.k.a. the MLS. Our attempts at a "no risk" and sure-fire buyers list may be at the expense of opportunity for more profits.

    As I stated in an earlier post, in my area (Pittsburgh) all serious investors have the MLS wired, harnessing technology to funnel deals to them. They are putting offers in 1-2 days after a deal pops up on the MLS. This seems like a good fishin' hole in which to cast your bait : )

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Mc Keesport, PA · Member since 2012 · 449 posts · 154 votes
    14y

    George Gray I really liked your input and insight. Your comments were very well said. Thanks for sharing : )

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Atlantic County, NJ · Member since 2012 · 514 posts · 209 votes
    14y

    So if the investors in your area have the mls wired, maybe contact them directly and ask them how much they would pay for your house? So instead of you just making you're 5k,10k per deal maybe he says they'll pay closer to retail without you even giving a number and you end up making 20- 30k? If you don't ask you, you never know.

    Just my two pennies.

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    14y

    @K. Marie-

    I agree with you 100%. You make a much better spread just calling up a cash buyer from your buyer's list, and it's a whole lot easier. Everything gets complicated when you add the MLS, agents and extra steps. I only did that once, and unless I can't just sell a deal I probably won't do it again.

    Building up a buyer's list just isn't that hard to do. And once you have some active investors with cash, it just can't be any simpler. Put the house under contract, resell it to your cash buyer and move on in 10 days or two weeks.

    I think it was Ryan that said "investor buyers from the MLS end up whining like retail buyers". That is so true. Working with a Realtor that looks for deals on the MLS is how a lot of investors get started, and there is nothing wrong with that. But all new investors are inexperienced and are slow to make decisions. We were all at that stage at one time, but happily now I can choose to work with experienced investors that walk through the property and call me to say they wuill buy it.

    Another thing about only working on the MLS; that's where everyone is. I much prefer to do my own marketing and not have to chase deals that a dozen other investors are chasing. There's not much competition in my world.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Mc Keesport, PA · Member since 2012 · 449 posts · 154 votes
    14y

    I suppose the bottom line is that if you want to get the most money for your property, which may very well come from a less sophisticated buyer, you'll have to put up with the quirks that those less sophisticated buyers may bring. Then it's a matter of whether or not you want to deal with that or not.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Mc Keesport, PA · Member since 2012 · 449 posts · 154 votes
    14y

    Nathan Paisley The idea is to expose the property to competition (MLS) with the expectation of having of the price driven up. Calling an investor directly and trying to drive the price up simply won't work. The element of competition is missing.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Sharon Vornholt:

    @K. Marie-

    I agree with you 100%. You make a much better spread just calling up a cash buyer from your buyer's list, and it's a whole lot easier.

    Sharon Vornholt I don't think you agree with me a 100% because I'm the one here saying I get way more when I list the property. True, my buyer's list has people who are so much easier to work with. I have one prop right now that two buyers from my buyer's list would have taken it $20K. But I'll sell it for closer to $40K on the MLS. I don't think giving away $15K or more is worth the ease. I do hate the whining though. And the paperwork. I like short and simple contracts; the realtor board contracts are neither.

    I'm sure this is market specific. There is a sweet spot pricing in my area for 3 bedroom rentals (any condition). There just isn't enough inventory for all the cash buyers wanting to get in for a certain price. My regular buy and hold cash buyer guys are all about cash flow don't pay what the market will bear. I don't blame them as I respect their buying criteria. But that doesn't mean they are the right buyer for all my properties.

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    14y

    @K.Marie Poe I did misunderstand you. If I had a house that didn't need a complete rehab - more of a "wholetailing" situation, then the MLS would bring more money. Most of what I wholesale are homes that are in bread and butter neighborhoods that need quite a lot of work. They are not for newbies.

    The folks on my buyer's list are experienced rehabbers and landlords, and they are a great source of cash buyers for me. I have found that in my area whether the house comes from a wholesaler or the MLS, experienced investors are going to follow the 70% formula either way.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Mc Keesport, PA · Member since 2012 · 449 posts · 154 votes
    14y

    It is true that investors will likely follow the same formula regardless of where they find a deal, but the MLS exposes you to other "investors" who may not follow a strict formula and buy more on gut and emotion or they buy because they are trying to control their neighborhood/neighbors etc etc. Many people who buy off the MLS have reasons to pay more for a property than the hardcore investor with strict emotionless guidelines would.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    Sharon Vornholt I'm also talking about major fixers in bread-and-butter and sometimes worse neighborhoods. Lots of out of area buyers here have crews or management teams that will do their rehab. The 70% rule will provide a different number depending on the buyer's perception of ARV. ARV for my buy and hold guys is almost irrelevant. I have one buyer who has never sold anything and none of his properties are financed. I think he has fifty doors now and am I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what the 70% rule is. There are buyers in my farm who use what I call Lala Numbers. They compare their all-in price to what they could buy in Los Angeles. Their cash flow standard is way too low, IMO, but they've also been buying for years and seem to be happy with an all-in price that's sometimes 3 times what my local buyers will pay.

    This has changed some since the bubble. I didn't used to have many out-of-area buyers for major rehabs prior to 2004-5. Major appreciation (33% in one year) brought crazy buyers from all over. When lending got tight, I really thought it we would be back to mostly the local buyers. The amount of cash that's out there right now for low valued properties really surprised me.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Atlantic County, NJ · Member since 2012 · 514 posts · 209 votes
    14y

    Jerry I'm not trying to drive up the price. It's not like I need to sell to any one particular buyer. I'm just asking what they would pay for it... I wouldn't give a price. In this situation I would rather make 20 phone calls to serious cash buyers in that area instead of dealing with picky retailers.

    For instance, say I targeted absentee owners. Got the house for 150k arv 250k. I could put it on the mls and have tons of tire kickers, financing falling through, inspections, 6 months later still nothing... Another "option" would be to make some phone calls to serious cash investors " landlords, buy and holders" and ask them what they would pay for it? Most might say I'll give you 160-180$. Great! You just made 10-30k! But instead you keep calling and one guy says it doesn't need any work and he wants to give you 220k! Potentially making 70k in a matter of days not months.

    Then it's off to the next house... This is just for discussion. I'm not saying this is the best option for everyone just another exit strategy to think about. My problem is I'm inpatient I want money today not months from now. I would rather wholesale 5 houses at 10k each then sit on one for months trying to make the same amount.

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2010 · 72 posts · 21 votes
    14y

    I think 95% of us are saying the same thing, maybe just a little differently. This is what I have taken away thus far from the conversation:
    1)Developing and utilizing some sort of buyers list is probably a worthwhile endeavor. It does have a place in the investors toolbox.
    2)Each deal is property and market specific.
    3)Wholesale buyers are typically easy to deal with, pay cash, and are well suited for problem properties. By being the perfect customer, they expect to pay wholesale prices therefore making the margins potentially thinner.
    4)MLS buyers and agents can be a royal pain the *** to deal with. They usually are not candidates for heavy rehabs or big problems. However, the extra effort and aggravation in dealing with them may potentially lead to significantly higher margins on the right deals.
    5)Investors who use only one method may not be leveraging all of the resources available to them to maximize their profits.

    Thanks to K. Marie Poe, Jerry Kisasonak, and Ryan Webber for welcoming the newbie into the conversation.

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    14y

    @K. Marie Poe -

    I market regularly to absentee owners, and I have dealt with a lot of people from California and other high priced areas.

    Back when property was so expensive in CA, they thought buying a house in Louisville for 80K was a steal. The problem was that the houses were only worth 30-40K at the top of the market. By the time they decided to sell them, they were worth 15-20K or less. They got screwed on the day they closed the deals by the agent or investor that sold them the houses.

    In one case, after being taken for a ride by the property manager he just gave up. The houses were vacant too long, they were vandalized and the copper was stolen out of several houses. One of the properties he purchased had serious structural problems. But because the agent that sold it to him wasn't ethical and he himself was not experienced, he ended up with a property that was almost impossible to sell. He should have had an inspection on this property.

    I managed to get these properties under contract and wholesale them for what the market would bear which was less than 20K in each instance. He brought almost 50K to each of 4 closings to get out of the mess he was in. I begged him to just hold on for a few years, but he just wanted out. I felt terrible for this guy, but he blamed no one but himself for the mess he was in.

    I have one real estate investor on my list that has over 200 SFH plus numerous multi-million dollar commercial buldings. He will pay me a fair price any day based on the ARV and the formula. Could I get a newbie to pay more? Probably. But like @Nathan Paisley, I make good money on each house and just move on. I'll make 10 or 15K on a house all day long.

    At the end of the day, I have to know that I made ethical choices on how I ran my business that day.That's just my personal feeling.

  • Wholesaler · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 659 votes
    14y

    Sharon Vornholt So if you offer a property at a higher than market price and someone buys it, you are screwing them?

    Now obviously if you are representing them as THEIR agent or in some type of mentoring relationship, that is something totally different. But as another investor or a homeowner, selling a house to a complete third party? What if you were into the properties for the amount you were selling them for, but that amount is vastly higher than market value?

    I understand where you are coming from, but its hard for me to wrap myself around that its MY responsibility to make sure someone doesn't pay more than is "fair" for a property that I am selling. Should I stop them from buying other people's properties that are being sold for too much too?

    Now understand that my actual business model is fashioned around the opposite idea. I sell houses at a discount, but I don't do that to be "fair" or "nice" or "ethical". I do it for the money. I do it because my business model is built around building relationships of trust with my buyers and offering them real deals. I do it for return customers.

  • Real Estate Investor · Natick, MA · Member since 2011 · 42 posts · 5 votes
    14y

    Jerry, I am a rehab buyer and at times, when I have bought a good deal and didn't want to rehab it, I had put it for sale on mls because I do think you would get the highest price on mls most of the time. But if you want to do a good number of wholesale properties a year you can't take title on the properties, you are going to have to put them AUG and then sale them at the highest price possible. And for that you need to have a good list of cash buyers that can perform. So I guess the best answer is depends on the particular circumstance.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    How does selling a to buyer who is willing pay more than another having anything to do with ethics? Selling for what the market will bear is ethical. My examples of LA buyers who pay more than my local buyers are happy with their investments and still in business years later. What's not ethical is misrepresentation of the condition of the property or a false appraisal or inflated rent information. To me it would be more interesting to look at where your CA seller went wrong on his purchase. Was he lied to? Was he delusional? Was he banking on appreciation? And then where did he go wrong on his re-sale? Maybe he should have waited. Maybe he should have listed the properties. Maybe he would had to bring less to closing if he had listed the properties instead of selling them to a wholesaler. :)

  • Mobile, AL · Member since 2012 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    In general, i try to build a couple buyers lists each month, but only because we have a large amount of similar homes, and similar home buyers in out market. We deal a lot with tourists and tourism, and many people come here and buy second homes and investment and rental properties. I try to keep a current list that i can shoot to potential clients if they show interest in certain areas, but most defiantly mot of our sales comes strait form the MLS. If you know what your doing, and are able to target certain people or types of houses, then it is possible to do it, but it does take more work, and usually for every 100 you send out, you might get 20 bites, and out of those 20, you might get 2 or 3 actually serious, and out of those, you might get a sale.

    As for our area, I try to keep a list of golfing homes, homes that are located on one of the many golf courses in the area (and i have a list for the high spenders and a list for the middle spenders), i have a list for investment rental properties in the area, and i have a list of beachfront homes that would make perfect second homes or vacation properties (and i keep a high spender list and a medium spender list for that as well). For me, where i live, it makes sense. But in other areas, it might not. It all depends on your market.

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    14y

    @Ryan Webber. I think each person has to run their business the best way for them. I have no problem anyone with getting a the best price possible for their properties, myself included.

    Like you, my business model is that I sell at a discount. I am in the business to build long term relationships and make a to profit at the same time. I sell to the same buyers time after time because I have taken great care to build a good solid reputation. In the example that I mentioned, this particular person knew that he was dealing with an inexperienced investor and he had a long pattern of doing this with out of town buyers. Unfortunately, there are those people in every area. I wasn't implying that anyone on this forum is doing that.

    I think there are many differnet business models, and there is no right or wrong way to run your business. A lot depends on your location, your market and your circumstances at each particular time you do a deal.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Mc Keesport, PA · Member since 2012 · 449 posts · 154 votes
    14y

    I think we are finally getting to the bottom of this "Buyer's List vs. MLS" debate. And, after much ado, the final answer is: It depends.

    It's apparent that both ways work. We all just need to hone in on what works best for our business and marketplace. Thank you everyone for your input and effort.

    PS. If you don't want this to be over that's fine. I'm actually good to go a few more rounds if you're up to it : )

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.