Motivated Seller, How do I make this deal happen?

Motivated Seller, How do I make this deal happen?

Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2012 · 436 posts · 198 votes

I have a potential Deal. Couple gets married, it doesn't work out. Husband owns house and mortgage is in his name. He leaves, and the agreement is his wife is to pay the mortgage. Almost two years later he finds out wife hasn't been paying and foreclosure is pending. There are not many comps. It is a small little neighborhood. One comp sold for 97K recently and another listed for 82K for about 4 months ago. This house is nicer than the one on the market for 82K.

Seller wants no money. He wants to return the loan current and give the place to us subject two.

Here is where I am stuck. The amount to bring the loan current is about 15K. After it is brought current the loan Balance is 65K.

This neighborhood will most likely not bring in a person with more than 5K down, and a investor would not pay much more than 60K. But more if we could leave the financing in place and there is just down payment involved. (would do his with the knowledge of seller)

The rents are HIGHER then the mortgage PITI payment by almost $300.

1) I have authorization from the seller to talk to the bank. Is there any way to negotiate the loan with the bank to bring it current for less?

2) How does an investor with authorization talk with the bank? What does that conversation look like?

3) Any Other ideas on deal Structure?

0Reply
45 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2012 · 436 posts · 198 votes
    13y

    Note: I just realized the wording is confusing. The seller has no money to bring the mortgage current, thus he can not pay to bring it current and then give it to us subject-to.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    It looks like short sale, or No sale. With no money to bring it current, I don't see any other good choice.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    $80K for a house that might be worth $80K and almost certainly needs work. No deal. Sorry. Next!

    A short sale might be an option, if the owner and occupant will cooperate.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    I agree, short it or go to the couthouse steps. You might try buying the note at par at 65k. But that's not a deal.

  • Rehabber · Prattville, AL · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    Stephen Chatto I agree with the other posters, a motivated seller does not always mean a good deal. Stick to the numbers they are what they are. If they work buy if they don't NEXT. Don't spend a lot of time trying to make the numbers fit what you need. Find the deals that fit the numbers.

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2013 · 153 posts · 36 votes
    13y

    i suppose some money could be made on the deal.. That depends on the seller.

    A loan mod could be attempted.. If that's a possibility, get a contract contingent on the seller getting a better deal with the bank.

    If that is a possibility, lease the property with the option of purchase in the future from the seller...(the longer the lease the better)

    sandwich lease option it to a tenant buyer for $x.. and Keep the property for cash flow( long term) ..

    or get out of the sandwich lease and assign the option to an investor..

    Sounds simple, but it isn't.. there are too many variables to consider..

    nevertheless, deals like this could be very sweet, if you know what you are doing.. Why? Most investors turn their backs on them..

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    If there is no equity and Sandwich might be an option, if there is a positive cash flow between rent differential, but...

    80 for 80? with back payments?

    You might do a cooperative assignment, lease w option and sell the contract for a fee.

    There are easier sweeter deals all day long, for cash or for terms.

    Best of Luck,

    Brian Gibbons

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2012 · 436 posts · 198 votes
    13y

    Thanks everyone or you feedback. I am going to negotiate with the bank and see If I can reduce the amount to get current, and then see what the numbers look like from there.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    Stephen, It's early, I can tell you this is not a deal to lose sleep over! LOL

    Your first hill to climb is with the bank. Your best approach on this is to buy the note, if the borrower works with you and requests the lender sell the note as a payoff, that's the best way to go.

    Then the borrower gives you the deed instead of foreclosure.

    At 15k, it sounds like they packed in attorney fees for foreclosure, maybe not. But it will get harder to pull out as time passes.

    You still need to bring the loan current for any lease funny business with higher rents, it could be a lot of liability for a few bucks a month, not sure that's a good way to go here, but could be.

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2012 · 436 posts · 198 votes
    13y

    Bill G. Trust me I am not losing sleep over it. I am actually really good at sleeping!

    I am excited to see how the conversation with the bank goes. If I can help this guy I will. That's why I am in this business is to help people. After talking to the bank I will know if I can help him. If I can't I will try to refer him to someone who can.

  • Wholesaler · Pearl City, HI · Member since 2011 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    OR maybe he could just pass it on to an experienced investor for a finder's fee.

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2012 · 436 posts · 198 votes
    13y

    Spoke with the lawyer, Because there are still married I need to have her sign the agreement for sale also, even though she is not on title. I don't see her doing anything other then letting this deal go completely to foreclosure. I will still talk to the bank mostly for the experience and to see if it is worth getting into a conversation with her.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.