I currently have a few in Kern county CA, and want to get owner's title insurance for all of my units but finding an insurer seems more complicated than homeowners insurance I have, and my insurance agent does not have any connections to getting title insurance. Can anyone point me in the right direction to getting owner's title insurance? after looking at my buyers closing statements, my lender has the title insurance but I don't. Is it worth it to get? Thanks
I believe you can only get title insurance at the transfer of the property. @Tom Gimer is that right?
No, you can get it any time. However, obtaining owners title insurance after acquisition requires another full title search (so you are paying for this work twice) as well as survey (either new or updated) and the request of course raises red flags for the title agent. Also there is a gap which the owner self-insures for defects between acquisition and coverage placement.
Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 10 votes
3y
Hi Kerry! An owners title policy is definitely recommended. I would recommend connecting with a title company in your area. Ask a local real estate agent for a recommendation if you are unsure which one to choose. They should be able to help you! They will also help you understand what your current policy is and what it covers for you.
Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
3y
It must be a coincidence, but Eliott Elias recently posted a very similar question. As I advised him, I just Googled "Kern County, CA title insurance agent" and several names returned. This is the first one on the list.
Investor · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2015 · 483 posts · 234 votes
3y
@Kerry Jones - This is something that is generally recommended by your agent ( or probably should be due to potential title issues), but you can also utilize the title company to give you a few recommendations as well. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
I believe you can only get title insurance at the transfer of the property. @Tom Gimer is that right?
No, you can get it any time. However, obtaining owners title insurance after acquisition requires another full title search (so you are paying for this work twice) as well as survey (either new or updated) and the request of course raises red flags for the title agent. Also there is a gap which the owner self-insures for defects between acquisition and coverage placement.