Recommendation for Landlord Insurance Company in Texas

Recommendation for Landlord Insurance Company in Texas

Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi, I am looking to purchase landlord insurance for my townhome in Houston that I am putting up for rent. The HOA policy is walls-in coverage so I am looking for liability coverage to supplement that. Possibly also rental default insurance as well. Any recommendations on good companies to reach out to?

0Reply
594 views

Most Popular Reply

Kyle MccawBusiness Member
Property Manager · Keller, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

@Komail Khaja you will want to find an insurance broker that has access to many different insurance companies. I would recommend @Cameron Moore. He insures many of my property management clients. 

The rental default insurance will most likely be from a different source. Several firms that issued default insurance stopped issuing policies once Covid hit. My property management firm uses Rhino Insurance. On the surface it looks like it is only for security deposit replacement but we have used it for loss rent.

McCaw Property Management4.4907 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Marzel HurbsPro Member
    Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    Hi @Komail Khaja, I am based in Houston as well and have used both Allstate and StateFarm (current). In addition to the HOA insurance coverage, I'm paying about $600 annually through StateFarm. Whatever you choose, make sure your policy includes "loss of rents" if possible.

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Thank you for the recommendation and tip!

  • Cameron MoorePro Member
    Insurance Agent · DFW, TX · Member since 2021 · 348 posts · 245 votes
    5y

    I would recommend finding a broker that can shop multiple companies. They are much more flexible on options that can maximize your cash flow as well as coverages. 

  • Kyle MccawBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Keller, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Komail Khaja you will want to find an insurance broker that has access to many different insurance companies. I would recommend @Cameron Moore. He insures many of my property management clients. 

    The rental default insurance will most likely be from a different source. Several firms that issued default insurance stopped issuing policies once Covid hit. My property management firm uses Rhino Insurance. On the surface it looks like it is only for security deposit replacement but we have used it for loss rent.

    McCaw Property Management4.4907 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.